Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Dale Batchelder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2017, 1:15 pm

What are many reasons why people don't help? If we all help one another, this might be a better world.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 2:20 pm

Pride, Competitiveness, Prejudice, Fear, Insecurity, Miserlyness, Cowardice, Disrespect, Jealousy, Hatred, Ignorance, Greed.

That's as many reasons as I could come up with.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 1:54 pm

The problem is that they're human. Humans are b@$#%ds by nature. :thumbdown:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Feb 2017, 10:21 pm

They may not know how to help, don't have the resources to help or have their own issues that they're dealing with. Those are the reasons why I don't help.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 9:48 pm

sometimes i do not know what to do to help. sometimes i am too lazy to help.

sometimes someone asks for cash, but giving them cash might enable them to get drugs. and that is not helping.

sometimes i can't help b/c no skill/time/money.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 10:46 pm

It seems that people are too wrapped up in themselves to help others.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 10:51 pm

I don't know either, I posted about it somedays ago because I feel I do much for people (because I like to help!!) and don't get anything in return (which isn't my main goal, but it would be nice and fair).

I'm currently on university, and it's hard for everyone. It will be much more easier if we had a nice environment where we helped each other, sharing the stuff we are better at, but instead people act very competitive, at the end everyone loose.

This is a small example, but on a bigger picture, the same thing helps. If everyone cared for others, everything would be easier and happier.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 9:31 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
It seems that people are too wrapped up in themselves to help others.

___________________________________________________________________________________

or maybe they are just leaving others alone.

or maybe they are just minding their own business.

different word choice

euphemism

connotation versus denotation

besides, someone might think something will help someone. and the recipient might find it hurts them.

but quite frankly though. maybe it ain't possible to know all the effects of a particular action, a priori.

for example, when i was 12, a stampede of junior high school rodents physically assaulted me at the bus stop. and every day, for over 22 years and counting. obsessed over it. often and profoundly.

however, afterward, binged on Kit Kat. so, maybe you could look at it that the junior high school rodents helped Nestle and Safeway.

the effects of one action are not necessarily physical, obvious, immediate, quantitative, or direct.

a counselor told me "it is hurtful if it hurts." in other words, anyone can label anything as "hurtful".

a couple years ago, in the news, a police officer gave a homeless man a pair of shoes. later, the journalist saw the homeless man barefoot. the homeless man said that someone might kill him over the pair of shoes, so he locked the shoes away.

everyone has a :x carbon footprint :twisted:

driving cars causes pollution.

some vegans claim "meat is murder".

you do not know if your merchandise came from sweatshops or child labor.

fair trade

and et cetera

it ain't possible to know if any one action helped or hurt someone. it ain't possible to know all the possible effects of one action.

besides, if it was possible, then what? it ain't practical. you still have to live your life.

living things have to hurt other living things to continue living.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

seriously that gets on my nerves though.

a licensed clinical social worker asked me "how are you doing?". answered "depressed". she had the nerve to ask "are you thinking of hurting yourself or anyone else?".

what she meant was "are you plotting to violate the :twisted: Mandated Reporter Law?". :twisted:

:roll:

"hurting"? you kill bacteria all the time. if you do not hurt anyone else, you cannot continue living.

besides, every action either helps, has no effect, or hurts. it ain't possible to guarantee only the first two outcomes.

the licensed clinical social worker acted like she was absolutely important and morally innocent. like she never hurt anyone before in her entire precious lil life.

the LCSW was annoying, entitled, and had a big ego. she should've gotten fired and gotten her degree revoked. she had a big mouth. she ought to get sent to jail.

it is not correct, that every time one party claims that someone hurt him/her, then at least one party must get sent to 5150, under. per. the Mandated Reporter Law.

b/c some precious lil "people" have egos so humungous they truly believe that whenever someone does or says something they do not like, it is "disrespectful" or "rude".

some precious lil "people" truly believe that they have a moral right never to have to put up with anything they do not like. or anyone they do not like.

many of those precious lil "people" hate LGBT people and hate autistics. and hate anyone that ain't just like them.

and in some ways many of those precious lil "people" are in the majority. so they feel and act morally justified.

they figure that they outnumber me, so they overpower me too.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:28 am

Quote:
or maybe they are just leaving others alone.

or maybe they are just minding their own business.

different word choice

Indeed. Didn't we have this topic before somewhere?
It's not always appropriate to "help." I have a relative who drives me crazy trampling all over my personal privacy and autonomy all under the guise of "helping" me when I never asked for any help and I can do it myself.
Sometimes people want to deal with things in their own way, on their own terms, and someone else coming in and trying to impose their own agenda on that situation under the flag of "helping" (either genuinely or manipulatively) just is not appropriate. You can't go sticking your nose into other people's business just in general.
I also may be a bit careful about how I offer help, as it's easy for people to take advantage. You extend some help, and they are forever constantly asking for more, often in areas you were never willing or able to provide. I have limited resources.
I agree that trying to be as helpful as you can be within reason is a good thing. You just have to have discernment that I think many autistic people don't have, me included. It's confusing and I don't understand well enough to be able to offer the right kind of help in the right way, etc. I don't have that capacity to understand and get things "right."

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:07 pm

Indeed. Didn't we have this topic before somewhere?

It's not always appropriate to "help." I have a relative who drives me crazy trampling all over my personal privacy and autonomy all under the guise of "helping" me when I never asked for any help and I can do it myself.

Sometimes people want to deal with things in their own way, on their own terms, and someone else coming in and trying to impose their own agenda on that situation under the flag of "helping" (either genuinely or manipulatively) just is not appropriate. You can't go sticking your nose into other people's business just in general.

I also may be a bit careful about how I offer help, as it's easy for people to take advantage. You extend some help, and they are forever constantly asking for more, often in areas you were never willing or able to provide. I have limited resources.

I agree that trying to be as helpful as you can be within reason is a good thing. You just have to have discernment that I think many autistic people don't have, me included. It's confusing and I don't understand well enough to be able to offer the right kind of help in the right way, etc. I don't have that capacity to understand and get things "right."
_______________________________________________________________________________________

yes, a similar topic came up before. however, there is no law that says that all topics must be completely different.

granted, every situation is unique. different. however, situations fall under certain categories, and some different situations justify the same responses.

likewise i did not personally write either one of the posts.

but whatever.

exactly. sometimes precious lil "people" act totally innocent. they might think and tell you they are "helping", but they only make the whole situation worse. they have too much confidence in their skills. abilities. and their egos are too large.

sometimes precious lil "people" give out advise and wisdom. they do not know that they do not know what they are talking about. then they act like they are doing you a favor.