New job.. & difficulties keeping up socially with workmates

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

polkadotlily
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2017, 3:00 am

I have a new job, and loving it. Workmates are highly academically intelligent, and highly socially intelligent. We have shared interests, but operate on totally different social planes. I am generally highly socially sensitive but have great difficulties expressing myself in a "normal" fashion. It is exhausting, but generally I pull it off well. No friends have ever suspected ASD.
However, these new workmates are so conversationally quick-witted, I just can't keep up. I know what's going on and can follow them, but I just can't think of responses in a timely manner with their banter. When I come out with something, I feel very much like I am being judged, and screaming "autistic woman!" at them through my conversation which feels so awkward and unnatural. First time I've felt like this, but also one of the first times I feel I'm not dumbing down in a work place.
I would like to get along, and they are always making an effort to included me and welcome me. They are kind people, but I feel I am being pitied because I am not quite on the same level. First time in a while I feel totally ASD and on the wrong planet!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Any advice from anyone who has worked through anything similar? How did you work on your social "pace" so to speak?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 11:30 am

There are a few websites that I general recommend a few sites and resources

1. Improve your socialskills.com by Daniel Wendler who has ASD himself.
2. You could also read "The Unwritten Social Rules of Society" by Dr. Grandin and Sean Barron
3. Youtube channel a website called "Speaking Geek" by Jennifer Cook O'toole or "Asperkids" and she has a website with lots of information
4. The Asperger Experts- which have lots of webinars and courses for you to consider

polkadotlily
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2017, 5:12 am

Thanks so much Summer_Twilight, a very useful response and looking forward to looking at your links and suggestions. :) :) :) :) :)