Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ranthaman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2017, 5:30 pm

I'm 27, and around 20 I had been clinically diagnosed as:
borderline personality disorder, bipolar mixed with psychotic features, and anxiety disorder.
(yes, all of them)
However, I am now not confident with this diagnosis (mainly of bipolar at least) but Since these diagnosises I had taken meds for a good 4+ years and gone through DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy, which helped IMENSELY).

My dad is bipolar so I think that genetic factor made me a shoe-in for it as a diagnosis despite I don't exibit the symtomps so much.

But over this past year I have taken myself down from my meds because a lot of things I used to struggle with are gone and I see things a bit different. The past year I also only really discovered autism, to which all the tests I take tell me I likily have aspergers. I've taken 5+ tests which all place me high, but I'd never known of this before.

My wonder now is how much of my diagnosis might be legitimate or maybe... some undiagnosed aspergers?

my mom said I had adhd as a kid, and I was also a "problem" child who was disrespectful and innapropriately rude and got very often unpredictably and intensely upset (for seemingly no reason). Also was abnormally obsessed with my passions. (this is my mom's description)

So was I bipolar as a small child? Is it bipolar because genetically my dad is bipolar so I should be too?

Sorry, I realize this topic is about borderline personality disorder (which I am diagnoses with, but not with autism tho I score high)

Here's a question related to BPD and autism:

have anyone diagnosed with both these things taken DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy)?
And has it helped, not only the BPD but with any troubles of autism too?
Though I'm not diagnosed with autism at the moment, I have been through DBT which helped me so many ways that might not be related to issues of BPD, but elsewhere (like with social skills and understanding symptoms in my body before they overwhelm me-- ie. temperature rising/overheating, getting itchy).

Going through these courses teaches a lot emphasis on not only self awareness, but what is right and wrong and okay in social situations, essentially giving a set of rules to go by and tools to use when interacting, and having a clear cut answer of what to do improves a lot!

Hopefully this post is helpful to someone! It is always helpful for me to hear people's stories on these forums
Thank you!

AspieQuiz: 139/200 ND, 53/200 NT
MBTI type: ISTJ