UK government offering child "immersive reality" therapy

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 1:56 am

NHS offers new immersive reality treatment to help children with autism overcome phobias

Quote:
Following research showing that a unique immersive virtual reality can help children with autism spectrum disorder overcome their fears and phobias, the service known as the Newcastle Blue Room is now being offered on the NHS.

The first patients have been referred for treatment in the Blue Room, an immersive virtual reality room.

Managing Director Paul Smith said: "The Blue Room is a module where all surfaces are screens so no goggles or headsets have to be worn and this leads to you feeling totally immersed. When we were developing the facility we knew it had endless possibilities but to be able to harness the latest technology in order to help children with autism control their anxieties and phobias is incredibly rewarding and something we hadn't anticipated."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

traven
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 2:26 am

oh yeah , lets give the government a try!
what could go wrong?