Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RMH13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Feb 2017, 12:53 pm

My 10 year old son recently had a psychoeducational assessment after his behaviour and impulsive reactions became so bad that he could no longer be in school. I recently received the assessment and he has been diagnosed and having ND (Non Verbal Learning Disability). While discussing the results to the assessment with the school psychologist she mentioned the overlap between high functioning Autism and ND but thought his results were not substantive enough to warrant a diagnosis on the Spectrum.

I have read a lot about the correlation of high Fluid Reasoning and Verbal Comprehension scores combined with low working memory and low processing scores being indicative of Aspergers and curious to see if anyone out there can provide some insight to his scores.

My husband and I had already suspected Aspergers after research and CAST test results indicated a high probability so we have booked a private neuropsychologist to do an assessment to see if my son is on the Spectrum but in the interim any input on these scores would be appreciated.

His scores are as follows:

WISC-V

Verbal Comprehension (VCI) 103
Visual Spatial (VSI) 107
Fluid Reasoning (FRI) 127
Working Memory (WMI) 96
Procks sing Speed (PSI) 98
Full Scale (FSIQ) 109

We are aware he needs further assessment but again, any insight would be amazing

RMH

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 6:44 pm

That sounds typical of autistic kids. But you can't diagnose us based on IQ scores. It just doesn't work that way. But you are already getting him privately evaluated anyways, right?

I assume you've found the DSM V's requirements? They have nothing to do with IQ tests. If you google that, you can see what the criteria are. A lot of kids are falling through the cracks of assessment because they don't have the repetitive interest thing - they just aren't rigid enough in their scheduling needs. So that might be one thing you might research, especially understanding some of the more odd ways it shows up so that you can point it out if he meets that criteria in an unusual way.

The gold standard right now would be a ADOS test. It's pretty good at picking up autism in boys.

I suppose that NVD could cause a kid to become frustrated enough to lash out. It's hard not perceiving the world like everyone else. And directions can be super frustrating with that. But you are right, that impulsivity is not a part of NVD. It could be a part of a kid who's just had Enough, though.

I'm sorry you'all are going through all this. It sounds ruff. In a perfect world, he would not have to get kicked out of school before they tested him for special needs.

RMH13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2017, 3:29 pm

TThank you for you response and input. I have familiarized myself with the DSM V criteria and my son does meet a few of those. I know the IQ is only one component and not a true indication of whether he is on the Spectrum or not. I wasn't familiar with the ADOS testing but we are meeting tomorrow with the neuropsychologist to begin the assessment....I'll mention it and see what forms of testing they do.

I have to say, I didn't realize just how complex the Spectrum is and how specific the testing is. This is why I appreciate this forum and all the info it provides.

Thanks again!