Does anyone here actually want to work?

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

SolitaryOutsider
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2017, 5:28 pm

I was diagnosed with Aspergers about fifteen years ago while I was in my early twenties. I've never liked a single job I've worked it, but surprisingly have been kind of able to hold onto them for surprising amounts of time.

Seven years in retail...overnight stock. It wasn't bad for what it was, but I know I would never be able to live on my own with it.
Majored in Asian Studies and Japanese, but not really fluent but I was able to graduate. Couldn't really find any work unless I wanted a Masters, and I honestly hate research, so got into IT Help Desk stuff. Really disliked it but stuck with it for the money. Then got Cisco certifications to got into networking. Again, still hated it but it was better paying and dealt with slightly less people. Got laid off a week ago...and couldn't be happier.

It's nice to not have to come into work. Not to talk to anyone. I can go to the gym. I can play games. I can go to the movies. I can do whatever I want within reason. And be left alone.

...but I know it won't last. Savings and unemployment will carry me for nine months at best. I dread every day that I will get a call back from one of the jobs I applied to. I really hate having to work with computers. But really, I hate every type of work. I strongly believe anyone who says they enjoy work are lying to themselves that they enjoy being slaves to server some master.

Smart blondie28
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2017, 5:54 pm

SolitaryOutsider wrote:
I was diagnosed with Aspergers about fifteen years ago while I was in my early twenties. I've never liked a single job I've worked it, but surprisingly have been kind of able to hold onto them for surprising amounts of time.

Seven years in retail...overnight stock. It wasn't bad for what it was, but I know I would never be able to live on my own with it.
Majored in Asian Studies and Japanese, but not really fluent but I was able to graduate. Couldn't really find any work unless I wanted a Masters, and I honestly hate research, so got into IT Help Desk stuff. Really disliked it but stuck with it for the money. Then got Cisco certifications to got into networking. Again, still hated it but it was better paying and dealt with slightly less people. Got laid off a week ago...and couldn't be happier.

It's nice to not have to come into work. Not to talk to anyone. I can go to the gym. I can play games. I can go to the movies. I can do whatever I want within reason. And be left alone.

...but I know it won't last. Savings and unemployment will carry me for nine months at best. I dread every day that I will get a call back from one of the jobs I applied to. I really hate having to work with computers. But really, I hate every type of work. I strongly believe anyone who says they enjoy work are lying to themselves that they enjoy being slaves to server some master.

What do you enjoy, your interests?

SolitaryOutsider
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2017, 6:13 pm

Enjoy watching a lot of movies, especially at the theater. I probably see about 60+ movies a year at the theater, and I go by myself for most of these.Plus reading\watching interviews how their made. Also took acting classes and got in some indie movies.
Gaming. Lately semi-competitive games like CS:GO and Overwatch.
Powerlifting\Strongman. Never competed, but I do go to a powerlifting gym and enjoy the meditation of lifting a little more each month.
East Asian culture. Studied it, learn Japanese, some Korean and Mandarin. Like anime and keep up with some friends abroad a few times a month.

So, nothing that I can really do as a career on a whole. Information Technology seems to be the only thing that gives me enough return to fulfill my hobbies.

Gossip Girl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2017, 3:25 am

Actually there's a lot that you can do, based on your interests.

There's a huge market for gaming in Japan so you could combine your Japanese skills with your love of gaming and get a job involved in game creation.

You also mention your love of movies and have read a lot of articles about how they're made; you could take this and turn it into a journalism career writing movie reviews and creating digital content.

You could take your language skills and become a language teacher, or teach English overseas to foreign students.

To name a few. :)

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 4:09 am

Of course I want to work; let me also mention something else of interest, although I do not follow any particular religion, that in English-language bibles, they word it as «Those who work shall never starve» but in the Russian-language bibles, they word it as «Those who want to work shall never starve» ...influenced by former Fascist-Communist U.S.S.R. where many people wanted to work but couldn't find jobs due to economic-conditions.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2017, 7:15 am

SolitaryOutsider wrote:
I strongly believe anyone who says they enjoy work are lying to themselves that they enjoy being slaves to server some master.

Hello.

I am exactly like that. I still believe some people are fortunate enough to enjoy their jobs, but the vast majority wouldn't hesitate to trade their 8 hours of slavery a day for themselves, their own problems, their own family. It shouldn't take a genius to see that but people tend to think of me as a lazy, selfish bastard instead.

I believe most people who are saying they find their jobs a wonderful thing are lying as well, either that or they don't get the bigger picture: we shouldn't need jobs. This is a legacy from our ancient social structure and also a means with which more powerful and corrupt people explore the less fortunate, most especially the so-called "working class". Politicians don't care about the poor, they invent legal devices and taxes we the working class are obliged to adhere and that's how the rich people feed the poor.

Bottom line: I totally relate to that. As a side note, that doesn't strike me as an autistic thing. I know this wasn't your actual point but anyway...

In fact, this is a very controversial and complex subject. We could go on debating about that the whole day. We would have to think how everything would work out without specific jobs, most of which people hate but we all know how necessary they are.

Cheers!

SolitaryOutsider
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2017, 8:08 am

Gossip Girl wrote:
Actually there's a lot that you can do, based on your interests.

There's a huge market for gaming in Japan so you could combine your Japanese skills with your love of gaming and get a job involved in game creation.

You also mention your love of movies and have read a lot of articles about how they're made; you could take this and turn it into a journalism career writing movie reviews and creating digital content.

You could take your language skills and become a language teacher, or teach English overseas to foreign students.

To name a few. :)

I've taken a stab at teaching English before, with training, and didn't care for it. It's too much interaction with the kids, lots of stimulus and overwhelming.

I've thought about writing stuff for movies before, but there are so many sites and Youtube channels out there, I'm not too sure how to stand out on my own. The thought has crossed my mind, but I think I've gotten overwhelmed on choice and how to even begin something like that. But thanks for your time and suggestions.

It maybe my personality, and I'm giving excuses for everything. But at the very least, I did make an earnest attempt at teaching English for a full year. Educating people is probably not the career choice for me.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 11:08 am

It used to be that a lot of guys were pushed into working by their wives. They couldn't get a pretty girl unless they had a job. Then she wanted a house, instead of the little apartment. And so on.

These days, an aspie may want to work so that he can live in a nice quiet place, rather than subsidized apartment surrounded by noisy neighbors.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2017, 1:09 pm

I hate being unemployed. It's driving me crazy.
But I hate work I dislike too, especially if I feel they don't truly improve peoples' lives, like administrative jobs for example, opposed to jobs that are directly useful to people like nurse for example, or intellectually stimulating jobs like software developer. I feel useless and I feel like crap if I can't develop logical skills or help people. And boredom is especially horrible.
I had a two-week training a few months ago. It was so stimulating and I felt useful and happy. I was depressed before. Back to depressed after. I was depressed when I was a student too. I'm only happy at work.
I believe that we're all different. We can't all be happy in the same environment and it's fine.

EmilyRyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2017, 12:45 am

I would love to have a job I'm even willing to work a job that isn't to my interests only problem I have is no one want to give this girl a chance :(

And to make things worse I been asking around other places and I getting responses like how employers shouldn't have to hire and accommodate and they wonder why so many of us end up living off the government :?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 7:13 am

Well, yes and no. I certainly wouldn't bother if I won enough money in a lottery or something to last a lifetime, but since I don't think that'll happen I really do want a job (I'm currently unempoyed.) It's not that I want to work, I want the thing that comes as a result of working, which is money. I have no problem doing something I don't like as long as I'm getting paid a decent amount of money for it. Of course, if I could choose I'd find a job I can also enjoy, but with the economic situation being what it is I have to be realistic. Besides, I think most people work just to have money to do the things they like on their free time. I know I do.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 8:55 am

Night security is probably the best kind of work for someone who just wants to be left completely alone. I'm sorting some qualifications out for this myself.

If you can run your own business it's usually more fun because you're in control. For example if you were really obsessed with bikes and then you got to run your own bike shop - that'd be a job you'd enjoy cause you control it and get to fix/work with bikes all day and make your staff deal with people. Same thing can be applied to whatever else interests you, within reason obvs. So yeah, some people do enjoy work if their interest is a big part of it.

SolitaryOutsider
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Feb 2017, 4:42 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Well, yes and no. I certainly wouldn't bother if I won enough money in a lottery or something to last a lifetime, but since I don't think that'll happen I really do want a job (I'm currently unempoyed.) It's not that I want to work, I want the thing that comes as a result of working, which is money. I have no problem doing something I don't like as long as I'm getting paid a decent amount of money for it. Of course, if I could choose I'd find a job I can also enjoy, but with the economic situation being what it is I have to be realistic. Besides, I think most people work just to have money to do the things they like on their free time. I know I do.

This is how I feel. I think sometimes it's hard for me to talk to others because, in spite of my social awkwardness, I can see through these fake personalities that pretend work is the greatest thing ever. For the most part, it seems like they want to validate why they are so important, when they are just as equally worthless as me.

I really disliked my old job. Just copy/pasting configurations onto switches and routers for retail companies draining people of their money. Got paid decent money for what little effort I did, but some people want to act like they were the second coming of Christ just because they know some networking stuff. No, you are equally worthless as a banker or retail employee. Get off your high horse. There's nothing important with what you do.

At least, that's what runs in my mind all the time.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 12:50 am

I don't think anyone in life wants to work the way they want to do a hobby. If jobs were like hobbies, you wouldn't have to pay people to do them and do them properly.

That said, if I have to earn a living I don't mind if it's something fulfilling and not too hectic. I hated working with computers, too, and quit. Hated the people, the environment, the politics, the certifications, everything. I've been working part-time for a while and looking at other options, maybe in agriculture or horticulture.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 1:34 pm

I hate being unemployed but I don't enjoy working either. Thus I am miserable all the time.

dtoxic2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Feb 2017, 8:20 pm

I'm an artist. I despise working, almost every facet, from having to get out of bed on someone else's schedule, to being too tired at the end of the day to do things I enjoy, and everything in between.
As MagicKnight says, the very paradigm of jobs and work as some kind of social contract or obligation is faulty. If you don't want to work you shouldn't have to. I have sacrificed a lot in order to live work-free.