Does anyone here actually want to work?

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

dtoxic2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Feb 2017, 8:20 pm

I'm an artist. I despise working, almost every facet, from having to get out of bed on someone else's schedule, to being too tired at the end of the day to do things I enjoy, and everything in between.
As MagicKnight says, the very paradigm of jobs and work as some kind of social contract or obligation is faulty. If you don't want to work you shouldn't have to. I have sacrificed a lot in order to live work-free.

MrLucky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2017, 11:58 pm

MagicKnight wrote:
SolitaryOutsider wrote:
I strongly believe anyone who says they enjoy work are lying to themselves that they enjoy being slaves to server some master.

Hello.

I am exactly like that. I still believe some people are fortunate enough to enjoy their jobs, but the vast majority wouldn't hesitate to trade their 8 hours of slavery a day for themselves, their own problems, their own family. It shouldn't take a genius to see that but people tend to think of me as a lazy, selfish bastard instead.

I believe most people who are saying they find their jobs a wonderful thing are lying as well, either that or they don't get the bigger picture: we shouldn't need jobs. This is a legacy from our ancient social structure and also a means with which more powerful and corrupt people explore the less fortunate, most especially the so-called "working class". Politicians don't care about the poor, they invent legal devices and taxes we the working class are obliged to adhere and that's how the rich people feed the poor.

Bottom line: I totally relate to that. As a side note, that doesn't strike me as an autistic thing. I know this wasn't your actual point but anyway...

In fact, this is a very controversial and complex subject. We could go on debating about that the whole day. We would have to think how everything would work out without specific jobs, most of which people hate but we all know how necessary they are.

Cheers!

I hear ya! I think what you seek and I seek as well as I am getting older is a way to enjoy life. Working at some job we don't like is very depressing. I work in a call center and it is wearing on me, burning me out. A while ago, we debated and talked about the idea of Basic Living Wage aka Universal Basic Income that is livable and until something like that happens, we will not be able to do what we'd like to do in this post unless we were born wealthy, inherit a good amount of money or hit the lottery. Some say idle hands are the Devil's Worskshop and there is a lot of truth in that but if I did not have to work, I would devote a lot of time to my electronics and amateur radio hobby and go back to school for a technical degree. Maybe volunteer some time to help animals or people with cancer in getting around, something like that. If I could though, I'd take some time to get in my car with my cat and go bumming around the U.S. for a while and see things, friends, relatives and so on. I always wanted to drive the Al-Can Highway. I think there should be easier ways to be able to channel work into something we like to do and are good at. I'm not too good at call center work and the boss knows so I play to God I find something else I can do soon. I don't know if the social contract about job and work is obsolete yet but it will be soon at some point if and when automation takes over and we as a society will have to adjust.

harkie100
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Feb 2017, 12:44 am

I only try to work to keep the jobcentre and society off my back. I'm clever or so I'm told but I struggle in jobs.I'd say 3 of my last 5 jobs I didn't really do very well though I got away with it. My favourite jobs have been loner data entry jobs in which I can wear my headphones all day. Unfortunately the money's terrible. I think I'd enjoy some kind of driving job so trying to get funding to do an HGV licence.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2017, 1:17 pm

Yes, I do. At the moment I have a job that I love - I get a lot out of doing something useful and keeping a small organisation running. It's not enough hours though and soon I'll have to look for something else. I really hope I can find something similar because on the flip-side, I've had jobs that have been a living hell.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 1:51 pm

I want to work so I work. I can't imagine not wanting to work. I would be bored due to having too much time on my hands and with work, I get extra income. You don't get much with Social Security. If you are on SSDI, that is different because it stays the same just as long as you make under a certain amount. I also cannot relate to working and hating to work like most people because for me I want to work any job I can do. Unless you have a boss that is an as*hole or have a co worker that is a bully and they harass you or the whole work place is just toxic, then I understand because it's not like you can just quit and go get another one if you have a hard time finding work. And sure sometimes there are days when work is hard and then you wish you didn't have to work that day even if you do like your job or the days when you just don't feel like working but you have to go to work because you need money to pay your bills and you don't want to get fired and you want to be a good employer so you don't abuse your sick days. I have felt like that before from time to time about employment because I would have to miss out on things or miss the nice weather because it was so nice out and I would feel I don't want to go to work it's soo nice outside. But I want to be a reliable worker and a good employee so I go to work when scheduled and not call in sick when I am not even sick.

No I am not lying to myself and I find it very insulting to be told I am lying to myself just because I like something or have a different opinion than someone. To me that is either being closed minded and the thought police and the feeling police or you are seriously lacking TOM so you actually have a hard time understanding that there are people out there who do like their job and don't mind working. What if I liked Mario Brothers and you didn't, would you accuse me of lying to myself?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Gossip Girl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2017, 2:55 pm

SolitaryOutsider wrote:
Gossip Girl wrote:
Actually there's a lot that you can do, based on your interests.

There's a huge market for gaming in Japan so you could combine your Japanese skills with your love of gaming and get a job involved in game creation.

You also mention your love of movies and have read a lot of articles about how they're made; you could take this and turn it into a journalism career writing movie reviews and creating digital content.

You could take your language skills and become a language teacher, or teach English overseas to foreign students.

To name a few. :)

I've taken a stab at teaching English before, with training, and didn't care for it. It's too much interaction with the kids, lots of stimulus and overwhelming.

I've thought about writing stuff for movies before, but there are so many sites and Youtube channels out there, I'm not too sure how to stand out on my own. The thought has crossed my mind, but I think I've gotten overwhelmed on choice and how to even begin something like that. But thanks for your time and suggestions.

It maybe my personality, and I'm giving excuses for everything. But at the very least, I did make an earnest attempt at teaching English for a full year. Educating people is probably not the career choice for me.

Fair enough - I also tried teaching and hated it, so I understand what you mean!

Well, if you still see the movie thing as a possibility, you could always start by getting experience blogging. Start up a WordPress account, create some articles and see if you can get a following. Maybe attach it to a YouTube account and do some video blogs as well? Then apply for jobs as a Digital Content Creator, focusing on positions aimed towards movies or similar things.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Feb 2017, 3:30 pm

I definitely do, I don't want to sit around doing nothing with my life. If you don't work you won't have any money and won't have any life worth living, it's very hard just existing like I do now. I feel like pretty much every generation ahead of me in my family had more opportunity, the proceeding ones will probably have more too. Just seems like a terrible time to be alive.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 11:40 pm

God no, I don't want to work. I used to think that I did, but honestly, I only ever believed that because we are constantly told by anyone and everyone who gets the chance to (mainly politicians), that we should be selfless, live for others, plan for the future, be 'responsible' and all of that other drivel, but I've finally decided that I will only care about myself. From this day forward I will simply not care about anyone else, because quite frankly, other people don't deserve my consideration. Being altruistic simply does NOT pay off, it isn't rewarding - at all. The so-called Protestant work ethic is a crock of you-know-what, it's just one more method the rich use to convince the poor, ignorant masses that they shouldn't complain about their virtual slavery.

Signed: Lazy, selfish, and proud of it.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 1:21 am

I absolutely do want to work.
I've always dreamed of my career being a sort of special interest. Something I was passionate about, interested in, could devote most of my time to - essentially being one of those people who are "married to the job" and happy with that.
However, I find it almost impossible. Longest I ever survived in a job was a year, casual. Since then I only make it three or four months, and in the last few years, not at all.
Without work, you're constantly derided. People treat you as if you're nothing because you don't have a job.
At the moment I'm with relatives, who treat me like a mixture of a charity case freeloader they support (and I better be grateful for it and keep my mouth shut) and a personal domestic slave. Every day they snidely ask me "so did anything interesting happen to you today?" Because they know it didn't.
You meet someone and what do they ask? Yep - "what do you do for work?"
Ugh.
I really want to work. I live below poverty line and life is pretty empty. An income would help with being able to have enough to do things.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 9:45 pm

That's a difficult question to answer. I don't want to do work that I don't like. Do I enjoy taking endless calls from loud, psychopathic customers? Of course not. Would I enjoy being able to do nothing but write books all day and watch my bank account rise? Uh... I don't know. On the one hand, having a job you don't like makes you appreciate your hobbies and passions more, because those are what you do because you want to, not because you have to. What happens if you take that away? What if I suddenly had a contract with a publisher that said I have to write [this many] books every year, [this many] words a day, and if the publisher didn't like it I had to redo it, regardless of my own opinions on it? Would it still be fun? Maybe the fact that I'm writing, writing, writing nonstop would make it tolerable. Then again, maybe the fact that I'm now being forced to do it, and that if I stop I'll no longer have food, water, and electricity, rather than doing it to relax and have fun, could take away that enjoyment.

TLDR, sometimes having a job you don't like is for the best because it helps you appreciate what you do in your free time more. You don't have to stick with something you absolutely hate, but don't discard a job just because it doesn't line up with what you do for fun.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 11:28 pm

Yes! I love to work. My career is in an area I feel strongly about and I take personal satisfaction from the job I do. I have cut back my work hours over the last couple of years and are spending more time doing other things where I don't get paid financially but still contribute to society in ways I feel are important.

MrLucky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2017, 12:27 am

Jacoby wrote:
I definitely do, I don't want to sit around doing nothing with my life. If you don't work you won't have any money and won't have any life worth living, it's very hard just existing like I do now. I feel like pretty much every generation ahead of me in my family had more opportunity, the proceeding ones will probably have more too. Just seems like a terrible time to be alive.

A side note here, this issue is my concern too. Still we got to do what it takes to survive but it seems like things are a lot different for my generation as well as yours, even more so.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 7:40 pm

I do, I want nothing better than to prove to myself and others I can be fully independent, it's a real sore topic. Everything in my life literally revolves around my studies currently, and they are pretty intense to the point where I feel genuinely bad when I think how hard it must be to maintain a good work ethic, e.g. 9-5 job, get up at reasonable times, go to bed at reasonable times... repeat. I so want to get into the science field, find a nice lab position somewhere, but my additional worry factor is experience, which means work experience in my chosen field, which means competing with others who in all likelihood are great talkers and get on well in teams. Overwhelmed.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 10:54 pm

I really like working in my field. I get a lot of positive energy out of my job. It also brings meaning to my life, along with research.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

docfox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2017, 1:48 pm

I think it brings a purpose to my life, regardless of the stress associated, so I don't mind it.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 1:55 pm

Yes, but no one will hire me. I can't even get volunteer positions.