Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Aspbergeoisie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2017, 7:33 am

Hey!

I'm a 25 year old dude from the UK who was diagnosed with aspergers (or asd, as I keep hearing aspergers is no longer an "official" diagnosis?) in December of last year.

I didn't realise how little about Autism that I actually understood, until a friend mentioned in passing to me that I was most likely on the spectrum. After that, I decided to research into it and was excited to learn that what I had been feeling my entire life about how I related to the people and world around me wasn't unique and there were others who felt the same and had managed to live fulfilling lives, regardless.

Before that point I had always been successful in school and had even graduated from university the year before. From what I thought I had known about autism and those on the spectrum previously (all from media and anecdotes of those much more severely affected than myself), it still came as a huge shock to finally receive the diagnosis. In all honesty, it has only really cemented itself in my mind as a fact very recently.

I have been attending a post diagnosis course over the past couple weeks, but have yet to really speak with anyone else on the spectrum who seems to be affected in quite the same way as myself which has led to a slight feeling of "imposter syndrome" and is causing quite a bit of guilt in response to all of the help I have been receiving in dealing with my diagnosis, seeking employment etc.

Whilst all of my neurotypical friends that I've told have been nothing but lovely and supportive, it still feels as if I'm lacking that feeling of shared experience I was hoping I would get from attending post diagnostic groups - I guess the saying "if you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism" really is true! I kind of selfishly hope that I will find that feeling here, but for now I'll stop going on about myself!

Thanks for reading if you got this far!

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 9:13 am

On my behalf, welcome to WP. :D

And congratulations on graduating from uni!

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 9:55 am

Hiya!

Welcome to WP. Used to live near Bristol myself. :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 3:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

zoejane
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Feb 2017, 5:36 pm

Hello and welcome!

I have only just been diagnosed (at the age of 41) and have also only just joined this forum in the hope of finding some common ground with others experiencing the same or similar :)

I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago and have yet to go to a post diagnosis session but once I know when they are, I will definitely be going along. I thought I would be relieved being given the diagnosis believing that it would miraculously solve all my problems but, instead, I just feel quite low, not quite being fully able to absorb what has happened.

I expect, like you, it will take some time to sink in and eventually (hopefully) "cement itself in my mind" as you put it, but for now, I'm feeling a little at sea.

Hopefully, you and I will both find what we are looking for here! :D

Copernicus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2017, 10:52 pm

Hi

I'm also new on WP and newly diagnosed. I've also been feeling a bit of imposter syndrome, even though it makes sense of my anxiety and depression, in a better way than I ever have before.

:roll:

Polly
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2017, 9:31 am

Hi

I'm new here too but have already learnt more (about myself) and felt more support than I've felt since I don't really know when.
I hope you'll be able to find the same.

Also definitely congratulions on graduating from uni, my 25yr old aspie son had done 3yrs of his degree, then needed to take a break with only a few gen Ed classes left. Now that he's feeling better he's having trouble getting back in to finish.
Anyway good luck with everything and welcome.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 2:13 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet

Aspbergeoisie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2017, 2:40 pm

Thank you all so much for the welcome!

zoejane wrote:
Hello and welcome!

I have only just been diagnosed (at the age of 41) and have also only just joined this forum in the hope of finding some common ground with others experiencing the same or similar :)

I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago and have yet to go to a post diagnosis session but once I know when they are, I will definitely be going along. I thought I would be relieved being given the diagnosis believing that it would miraculously solve all my problems but, instead, I just feel quite low, not quite being fully able to absorb what has happened.

I expect, like you, it will take some time to sink in and eventually (hopefully) "cement itself in my mind" as you put it, but for now, I'm feeling a little at sea.

Hopefully, you and I will both find what we are looking for here! :D

I don't know if the services are the same in differet counties, but in South Gloucestershire the post diagnosis sessions are run by an organisation called BASS if that helps at all! I had my third session today and it was definitely the most helpful so far in terms of understanding how autism affects me personally and what strategies I can employ to overcome that so I hope you find your lighthouse to guide you back to shore soon, too! I'm always open to having a chat if you want to drop me a PM, I don't know how I could help much beyond sharing my experiences as a fellow newly diagnosed aspie, but I'd certainly be willing to try (:

Copernicus wrote:
Hi

I'm also new on WP and newly diagnosed. I've also been feeling a bit of imposter syndrome, even though it makes sense of my anxiety and depression, in a better way than I ever have before.

:roll:

Haha, I hear that. How long have you been diagnosed? I spoke to some support workers at my post diagnosis meeting today about how I've been feeling and I came away reassured that autism really does affect everyone differently so if you have anyone who you could talk to about any feelings like that, I would highly reccomend it!

Polly wrote:
Hi

I'm new here too but have already learnt more (about myself) and felt more support than I've felt since I don't really know when.
I hope you'll be able to find the same.

Also definitely congratulions on graduating from uni, my 25yr old aspie son had done 3yrs of his degree, then needed to take a break with only a few gen Ed classes left. Now that he's feeling better he's having trouble getting back in to finish.
Anyway good luck with everything and welcome.

Awh thank you! Luckily my degree was only three years, as I was definitely struggling towards the end so can understand what your son is going through. It's good he feels ready to go back, I hope things come together and he can finish his degree, good luck!