Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

tick
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Feb 2017, 7:51 pm

" Statistics prove blacks are more violent. Fact."
That statement looks racist to me. It's one thing to discuss crime it's another thing to see statements in a thread like that. Blacks are NOT more violent! Sonicallysensitive that is a horrid statement and everyone, black or white or whatever, should be offended.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 8:00 pm

Jacoby wrote:
It's always been real to me, I grew up around it and it breaks my heart thinking about the people who's lives were led astray & ruined and those that simply never even had a chance which is depressingly so many of my peers.

Yeah, I can totally relate----that's why I sat here with my eyes full of tears, as "my" Baltimore burned, during the riots, after Freddie Gray got killed. I just kept sitting here, watching everything on TV, and thinking that I wish I could do / say something to stop them looting, or to convince them to put-down the matches, or whatever. I can imagine they saw it as their chance----their chance to get ahead for a change----their chance to stick it to the fat cats, etc.----but, the way *I* saw it, was that they were hurting, and I wanted to help.

Jacoby wrote:
This is a community that is in a state of collapse on all levels and while they need help it is also a two way street, people deride the idea of 'pulling yourself up from your bootstraps' because so many people are not capable of doing on there own and I understand that but there still needs to be desire for independence, a desire for bettering one's self, a desire to rise above regardless the circumstances they were born into.

EXACTLY!! This is OFTEN my argument----if it was absolutely impossible for any poor people to make it out, there would be NO Oprah, Drew Carey, Jim Carrey, Hillary Swank, Jay-Z, Sean "P. Diddy" Combs, Billy Bob Thornton, Sonia Sotomayor, Viola Davis, J-Lo, Dr. Phil, Eminem, Wesley Snipes, and many, MANY more. ALL of these people grew-up poor----IIRC, Jim Carrey's family had to live in a tent, for awhile; and, Billy-Bob Thornton's family lived in a shack with no plumbing / electricity----and, almost ALL of these people, were raised by single mothers!! Somebody's mother----I forget who it was; Lil' Kim, maybe, or Fitty Cent----the mother sold cocaine, because the father left, and she had to support her family, somehow. These people desired to get OUT, and WORKED for it!!

It's much, MUCH easier for people to say "Oh, whoa, is me", and not do anything about it----it's MUCH harder to pull yourself up by your bootstraps, but it CAN be done. IMO, when people who DON'T make it, get angry at others who DO make it, it is because they know that that person's accomplishments, make THEIR arguments of "I can't do it", less-likely to hold water.

Jacoby wrote:
We are all victims of circumstance, some more than than others, but what truly makes us human is the desire to rise above that. We have to ask ourselves, what is missing from America? How are our communities suffering? What is lacking is more than just simply economics, it's something social and spiritual too that we've lost along the way. We need to reassert our values and familial bonds, people need a purpose in this world and a reason to feel connected and it can't simply be one fear or anger.

Jacoby wrote:
The noble savage is racist cultural trope that I think unfortunately manifests itself where good intentions may lie but it blinds people to reality and leaves them vulnerable to empower the very people that torment those they think they're helping. So when I hear somebody speak about how gangs are just communities expressing resistance to persecution then I can only turn my head in disgust, what you are doing is essentially abandoning the good people to these criminals and abusers who could care less about communities. It's not the KKK and Neo-Nazis that minorities should be afraid of in their neighborhoods, they're bad guys don't get me wrong but it's not because of them that they have to live fear and borderline military occupation.

I've spoken about my opinions on the drug war many times and I think taking the power away from these criminal gangs would go a long way in liberating these neighborhoods, far too many people are in prison for totally crimes where they themselves are the victims while we have far too much tolerance for the real victimizers in our society. There is so many different levels to this, it's not just one thing and it's fixed. Even when fixed, the wounds are going to take a long time to heal but this can only be achieved as a oneness as Americans first not whatever identity group you box yourself into.

QFT

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 8:10 pm

sonicallysensitive wrote:
And looking closer at demographics:

US white population = 197,000,000
US white crimes = 5,800,000 (I'm rounding up)

US black population = 38,000,000
US black crime = 2,200,000

If you're white, there's a 2.9% likelihood you'll be involved in criminal activity.
If you're black, there's a 5.8% likelihood you'll be involved in criminal activity.

Blacks are twice as likely to be involved in crime than whites. Fact.

The bottom of the table also clearly shows that as a percentage, whites are arrested far more.

EXCELLENT point / link!! I highly doubt it, but maybe----MAYBE----this'll get-through to somebody, that Blacks are NOT picked-on, all-the-time, like some would like us to believe.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 8:26 pm

tick wrote:
That statement looks racist to me. It's one thing to discuss crime it's another thing to see statements in a thread like that. Blacks are NOT more violent! Sonicallysensitive that is a horrid statement and everyone, black or white or whatever, should be offended.

I'M offended cuz you took what he said, outta context!!

Does everybody who gets offended, get something? Whaddo I get?
:bounce:

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2017, 8:40 pm

Tick - I'll say this once - and don't try me on this:

tick wrote:
I think one should be pretty careful with this sort of thing

Why should I be careful?

Is your above statement a threat?

If so, I'll contact the police.

Alex really doesn't want the authorities on his case RE this site again.

But I will not be threatened or intimidated for stating facts/statistics.

tick wrote:
That statement looks racist to me.

I could care less what it 'looks' like to you. I'm stating facts, plain and simple.

I note you failed to mention my comment on whites/molestation. Does it not fit your narrative?

tick wrote:
It's one thing to discuss crime it's another thing to see statements in a thread like that.
And it's another thing to take offence to the cold, hard, truth.

tick wrote:
Blacks are NOT more violent!
Yes they are. I just proved it with hard data.

tick wrote:
Sonicallysensitive that is a horrid statement and everyone, black or white or whatever, should be offended.
There is nothing horrid about stating a fact.

Back on track, please.

And again - threaten me and I'll contact the police. Don't try me on that.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 8:44 pm

Now, this may come as a shock, but the higher crime rate in black communities comes from - shocker! - the higher poverty level.

Christ. Anyways. It's a known fact that groups/areas with higher poverty levels also have higher crime levels. Due of course, to trying to make money in less legal ways and also due to lesser education because poorer school districts have less funding because funding is based on taxation of residents of that district. Also wealthier school districts have parents that can donate money or get involved with causes to raise money for the school.

My friend grew up in a poverty filled area, with a higher crime rate - white people. Meth head white people. Child prostitution was also a huge issue. It's literally entirely connected with poverty, not one race being more violent than another.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 8:45 pm

then don't call the police.

you think they have time to be bothered with stuff like this?

if we can't cut out the jeering and get this thread back onto its original course (whatever it was) then maybe it would be better off locked.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 8:49 pm

Tick - I'll say this once - and don't try me on this:

tick wrote:
I think one should be pretty careful with this sort of thing

Why should I be careful?

Is your above statement a threat?

If so, I'll contact the police.

But I will not be threatened or intimidated for stating facts/statistics.

tick wrote:
That statement looks racist to me.

I could care less what it 'looks' like to you. I'm stating facts, plain and simple.

I note you failed to mention my comment on whites/molestation. Does it not fit your narrative?

tick wrote:
It's one thing to discuss crime it's another thing to see statements in a thread like that.
And it's another thing to take offence to the cold, hard, truth.

tick wrote:
Blacks are NOT more violent!
Yes they are. I just proved it with hard data.

tick wrote:
Sonicallysensitive that is a horrid statement and everyone, black or white or whatever, should be offended.
There is nothing horrid about stating a fact.

Back on track, please.

And again - threaten me and I'll contact the police. Don't try me on that.

I'm gonna call the police because I'm a sensitive snowflake that can't stand having my feelings hurt by being rightfully accused of spouting racist rhetoric :help:. Lmao.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2017, 8:50 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:

then don't call the police.

you think they have time to be bothered with stuff like this?

if we can't cut out the jeering and get this thread back onto its original course (whatever it was) then maybe it would be better off locked.
If I'm threatened - directly or otherwise - I'll call the police.

I've screen-captured & logged all details for the thread. But you'll know yourself that they could, if desired, access all historical site data.

And I stated more than once I had hoped for the thread to be pulled back on track.

OK - back on track. I'll address some other posts.

Thanks Kiprobalhato.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2017, 8:56 pm

lidsmichelle wrote:
Now, this may come as a shock, but the higher crime rate in black communities comes from - shocker! - the higher poverty level.

Christ. Anyways. It's a known fact that groups/areas with higher poverty levels also have higher crime levels. Due of course, to trying to make money in less legal ways and also due to lesser education because poorer school districts have less funding because funding is based on taxation of residents of that district. Also wealthier school districts have parents that can donate money or get involved with causes to raise money for the school.

My friend grew up in a poverty filled area, with a higher crime rate - white people. Meth head white people. Child prostitution was also a huge issue. It's literally entirely connected with poverty, not one race being more violent than another.
I completely agree. I'd rather live in a wealthy, predominantly black area than a poor, predominantly white area.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all RE wealth/crime.

But facts are facts RE the facts I've stated.

Getting ahead should be earned & proved. Someone should study hard, earn good grades, hopefully enter a good college, get a good job etc. But it shouldn't be handed to them simply because they are a minority. There will, by definition, always be a minority.

It should be a meritocracy.

These days (in the UK anyway), if I run a small business, I have to employ certain types of people simply to show I'm not discriminating.

If I ran a small business, I'd want to pick the best for the job i.e. the most qualified. I wouldn't want to have to employ a disabled immigrant purely to prove I'm a 'fair workplace'.

This is achievement discrimination.

I'm ignoring your other post as it's a personal attack and I'm genuinely trying to discuss an issue here.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 9:01 pm

Back on topic please RE media coverage.

I don't think there's really any more to say about media coverage, in-particular----the West Coast'll be on here, soon, after supper, though----maybe they'll have some input.

There's much more to discuss regarding gangs, race relations, and violence, etc.----and, we really haven't had a good debate about that since we lost L_Holmes (GOD, I miss him)----and, that IS the title of the thread, afterall; so, unless you have more specific questions.....?

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2017, 9:05 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i live in southern california, here the media mostly focuses on latino gangs, all the gang-related murders i can immediately think of were latino-on-latino. for some reason, our media doesn't really report on gangs as much as they did in the 2000s, it did flare up in 2014 with the gang injunction and it's related trial but then died afterwards again.
In the UK we'd never hear of Latino gang problems on the news etc.

Of course, I'm sure in the US there are specific problems dependent on population/ethnicity distribution (I assume California has a high Latino population?).

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i don't think many people here outright deny the existence/presence of black gangs, but they certainly get less coverage, and AAs make a much smaller percentage of the population as a whole (compared to latinos).
What is AA?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 9:06 pm

Looking for opinions from Americans.

OK, when growing up, black gang violence was 'the thing' in the media (at least here in the UK when discussing America).

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing on this subject in the media anymore.

I assume this is still a big problem in certain areas of the U.S?

If it isn't, do let me know.

Are there no more black gangs in the US?

I'm curious if the media in the US still mention it, and if it is given any airtime at all.

It is a problem, but if you don't hang out at places that they do, or use drugs, you generally don't have much to worry about.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 9:11 pm

What is AA?

African-American.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 9:17 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:

It's much, MUCH easier for people to say "Oh, whoa, is me", and not do anything about it----it's MUCH harder to pull yourself up by your bootstraps, but it CAN be done. IMO, when people who DON'T make it, get angry at others who DO make it, it is because they know that that person's accomplishments, make THEIR arguments of "I can't do it", less-likely to hold water.

Jacoby wrote:
We are all victims of circumstance, some more than than others, but what truly makes us human is the desire to rise above that. We have to ask ourselves, what is missing from America? How are our communities suffering? What is lacking is more than just simply economics, it's something social and spiritual too that we've lost along the way. We need to reassert our values and familial bonds, people need a purpose in this world and a reason to feel connected and it can't simply be one fear or anger.

QFT

Campin' Cat and Jacoby ...

Some good points to ponder.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 9:18 pm

And looking closer at demographics:

US white population = 197,000,000
US white crimes = 5,800,000 (I'm rounding up)

US black population = 38,000,000
US black crime = 2,200,000

If you're white, there's a 2.9% likelihood you'll be involved in criminal activity.
If you're black, there's a 5.8% likelihood you'll be involved in criminal activity.

Blacks are twice as likely to be involved in crime than whites. Fact.

And this is looking at all crime, as opposed to only violent crime. I'm more than 5 times more likely to be murdered by a black person than a white person.

My statement stands, and contains no racial bias.

Thank you for posting some actual numbers.