Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 7:17 am

I have a diagnoses of AS/HFA. I meet most of the criteria for HFA, however, I do not possess some prominent, and quite obvious AS traits, which had in fact, made up a portion of the list of criteria. I cannot imagine Hans Asperger, diagnosing me with AS, based on some criteria that he put in place (I am aware that AS is no longer given as a diagnoses).

I have been a member of WP, for 2 years, and, for most of that time, have been reading posts by other aspies, some of whom I have gotten to know, personally, and the more I read and interact, socially with Aspies, the more inconsistencies I have come to notice in myself (despite a proper assessment and dx, in addition to a score of 152 out of 200, on the rdos test, 2 years, ago, and a score of 148, a few days, ago). I have been told at various times, by my psychologist, that some opposing traits I possess, are, in fact, autistic features. But, I never considered separating my autism dx from the AS aspect, thus, have never questioned my psychologist about it.

I, no longer believe it is possible that I am an Aspie, which, actually, weighs heavy on my heart, as I write about it, due to the fact that it has played a significant part in how I have come to identify myself with myself. If that makes any sense. o0 o•.*~

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 10:22 am

The black/white thinking of many of us on the autism spectrum can make it difficult to believe that the AS DX applies. We are often troubled by deciding what box a particular trait fits in, or whether we need to make a new box for it. It seems that NTs have no trouble at all deciding what box to put stuff in.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2017, 3:31 pm

What about you has changed that causes you to believe you no longer have Aspergers?

I think it's certainly possible that you've aquired skills such that your Aspergers has become subclinical, if that's the right word.

pamh84
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Feb 2017, 10:35 pm

Scientists do say that a lot of people grow out of autism.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 4:47 am

Thank you, all, for your input!

>BTDT, Thank you for your words of wisdom. I think you are right, and, in retrospect, I can see how this applies to me.

>Private Idaho, Thank you for your inquiry. I don't mean that my traits have changed, but, rather, I have observed traits in other Aspies, of which, I do not possess. Such as; a large percentage, if not all Aspies experience or exhibit Alexithymic traits, some of which, to a rather significant extent, yet, I do not.

>pamh84, That is interesting. I have developed some quite effective coping skills, and I am working on improving aspects of myself that have, in part, resulted from being autistic, but, I was not aware that one could 'grow out of autism'. Will have to research that. Thank you for mentioning it.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 5:30 am

Britte wrote:
>Private Idaho, Thank you for your inquiry. I don't mean that my traits have changed, but, rather, I have observed traits in other Aspies, of which, I do not possess. Such as; a large percentage, if not all Aspies experience or exhibit Alexithymic traits, some of which, to a rather significant extent, yet, I do not.

Many (most even?) people on this site also don't.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 6:15 am

iliketrees, I know you possess a vast degree of knowledge on the topic of Alexithymia, so, your statement holds a lot of weight. Would you mind if I picked your brain, regarding the subject (at a future date/ time as I am signing off, currently)...?

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 9:59 am

Britte wrote:
iliketrees, I know you possess a vast degree of knowledge on the topic of Alexithymia, so, your statement holds a lot of weight. Would you mind if I picked your brain, regarding the subject (at a future date/ time as I am signing off, currently)...?

I don't really, I just know I have it from my ASD diagnosis. I'd be afraid of misinforming you where I may have misunderstood something.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 4:41 am

>iliketrees, Thank you for your reply. : )