Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 11:06 am

I hate eating in public! I always worry that people are silently judging me. I worry that if I eat I'll look like a glutton. I worry that I will order something gross on accident and when I refuse to eat it I'll get silently accused of an eating disorder.

I'm probably just paranoid.

Note: I'm not looking for advice. I am simply asking a question.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 12:24 pm

Not too fond of it myself, but then again doing anything that I think might draw attention is off-putting when outside. I still get extremely paranoid about how I walk due to my past oddities. I often eat lunch out with my parents every saturday at a local cafe; the company eases up the anxiety a bit, but I do feel people's eyes on me a lot in places of food. I astutely avoid eye-contact in public but I (think?) people watching other people is pretty much regarded a social norm for those who are not... awkward in this way. :)

ReallyAnne
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2017, 7:42 pm

If I'm in a restaurant or a cafeteria then I don't really mind, but I eat slowly, eat small portions, and not do anything weird that would bring attention to me. When I'm at a park or a place where I'm the only one eating then I hate it. I tend to find a place where there isn't much traffic and somewhat hidden and I'll have something small (like a granola bar) and shove it down my throat, or hide it in my bag between bites before someone passes by and sees me eating. For the most part, I eat at home, in my room where I can eat as much as I want and NOT be watched :D .

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 7:57 pm

Probably a little paranoid OP but it doesn't really matter.
I used to be super anxious of eating in public but then I started doing it more and more now I don't give a crap if someone sees me stuffing my face. When you get to the point of doing it a lot you just stop caring. Most people genuinely don't care what you're doing, they're more concerned with themselves.

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2017, 10:00 am

Depends on whether or not I'm eating alone.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 11:03 pm

When I am in a public location, such as at a bus stop, or somewhere else, I do not care who sees me, as long as I do not know them. Rarely do strangers pay attention to what I am eating or how I am eating it. Once in a while someone asks what I am eating, or if I am a vegetarian. A couple years ago, a former precious little "friend" had the nerve to tell me "you wiped your mouth on your sleeve!" and "you bit the apple off the sticker!". While those were factually correct, her tone of voice (to me) sounded like she was not "silently judging" me. :jester: ; she was judging me out loud. :roll: And, sometimes, to some precious little "people", I look like a glutton. But usually they do not notice, do not care, or do not bother to tell me. At the soup kitchen, they just leave me alone.

Eating disorders are psychiatric diagnoses, not crimes. Someone has "accused" me of being bulimic or anorexic before. And maybe they were trying to help, or making conversation. They did not do anything illegal. And maybe they were socially awkward themselves. Quite frankly, I gave them every benefit of a doubt.

But if I am with a group, and I am not eating what they are eating, someone has the nerve to ask "why". :twisted:
They acted like, by not eating what they were eating, I was socially rejecting their eating habits, which they identified with. Thus, I was socially rejecting them. :mrgreen:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Mar 2017, 12:06 am

I went through a phase where I didn't like eating in public. That was because my parents criticized how I ate. I got in the habit of not eating in front of them for a long time when at home because of that. Mom would cook something we'd all eat & I'd wait till my parents finished & left the kitchen before I would go in & eat so I wouldn't be critiqued. I don't have that problem nowadays but it helps that I'm not living with my parents but I can eat in the same room with them when I visit.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 6:40 pm

I hate watching other people eat in public, and I wish people were more cognizant of their etiquette in that situation. I also don't like eating in public but I don't like restaurants anyway so it's all a terrible process for me.