Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 9:00 am

rdos wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
But how do you know many can't?

Because they have problems with it. :-)

Alliekit wrote:
Also you assume they are all NT in the study but that may not be the case

No need for that. If 85% in a study are NT, then the results will be for NTs. The 15% NDs will be hidden as statistical noise.

How do you know it's not just 'some' have problems being with someone who is a friend and lover?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 10:24 am

whatamievendoing wrote:
rdos wrote:
Of course some people diagnosed with autism can do it, but many can't or won't. It doesn't work for me at least.

I can do it. In fact, in some respects, it might be easier for me that way. I've always believed firmly in the notion that friendship is the ideal basis for a romantic relationship. You know each other inside out, you're not afraid of voicing your concerns to the other, and most importantly, you know and respect every single quirk of each other - that's the kind of relationship that'd fit me perfectly. I like to think of it as a "romantic friendship".

I can do it the friendship way too but at the cost of a shallow attachment that easily breaks. I need an infatuation to form a strong attachment, and I never get that on a friend. That's why I described "friend-turned-lover" as similar to an arranged marriage. Sure, it can work, but it is not ideal, and at least for me, it's not a romantic relationship. It might be a sexual relationship similar to a FWB, but I don't find that any good either.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 10:29 am

I've been infatuated with people who have been my "friend."

Surf Rider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Feb 2017, 11:45 am

I acknowledged in my original post that it's possible to be both friend and lover, because some men do it. My question was, how? And how do I know when to play which role?

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 1:38 pm

Surf Rider wrote:
I acknowledged in my original post that it's possible to be both friend and lover, because some men do it. My question was, how? And how do I know when to play which role?

A friend/lover is usually someone you get along with as a friend but had something extra.

Your safest bet is to always be a friend and then add the extra bit of being a lover when you find someone to be with.

Be all the friend part and add the sexually interested, flirty, next level compassion.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 3:22 am

Things usually start as relationship first then friendship, the opposite rarely works.

With time and within a healthy relationship, your partner automatically becomes your best friend too- no doubt in that - if not then there's something seriously wrong.

Surf should understand that you are seen whether you're attractive or not within the first few seconds/minutes, or at least ruled out within first seconds when seeing you in person (check women responses here: https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingP ... 92192.aspx) , hence friendship first only works if she secretly views you as crush - if not then it never works and often a big waste of time.

I am going to be cruelly honest here; this is my personal belief only based on personal observation mixed with some rant:
I think men are fundamentally different in that, a lot of men would decide within first seconds when it comes to hook up or short term thing, but so often they would feel attracted to a female friend even if they didn't find her attractive at all initially, not even sexually.

Happened to me many times, and so to many of my male friends and acquaintances I talked to about these matters - and I believe that's why we men are the ones who complain more often about the friendzone thing.

And it's not true like how many women accuse us, claiming that we men befriend women for ulterior motives; I believe that's because their brains don't seem to comprehend that "Chemistry" in men can appear after quite a time, after months and maybe even after years of friendship - and not from the first seconds . That's why you so often hear women complaining "He was lying to me all the time, I thought we were just friends" - they often take late love/attraction confession (if not mutual) as lying and masking and pretending tactic men use, they don't seem to understand that it DOES appear late, sometimes very late, for us men . They often think that the friendzone situation is a man's fault for not being honest in the beginning and maliciously went for friendship hoping something it may change - they fail to see the possibility that he wasn't attracted to her at first and his intention was nothing of this sort, and got attracted to her later and with time.

I think that's why also men are way more often willing to go for a second date. That's why we see more often cases of males falling for female friends (and often rejected) than vice versa.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2017, 2:16 pm

I find this dichotomy to be a big problem for a somewhat different reason.
I'm aromantic, so do not want a romantic relationship. It is something which looks quite repulsive from my POV.
But nor do I want exclusively platonic stuff.
However non platonic friendships, especially those which involve anything sexual, can be very taboo and incredibly difficult to find. Especially if you lack social skills and understanding.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 4:49 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Things usually start as relationship first then friendship, the opposite rarely works.

With time and within a healthy relationship, your partner automatically becomes your best friend too- no doubt in that - if not then there's something seriously wrong.

Surf should understand that you are seen whether you're attractive or not within the first few seconds/minutes, or at least ruled out within first seconds when seeing you in person (check women responses here: https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingP ... 92192.aspx) , hence friendship first only works if she secretly views you as crush - if not then it never works and often a big waste of time.

I am going to be cruelly honest here; this is my personal belief only based on personal observation mixed with some rant:
I think men are fundamentally different in that, a lot of men would decide within first seconds when it comes to hook up or short term thing, but so often they would feel attracted to a female friend even if they didn't find her attractive at all initially, not even sexually.

Happened to me many times, and so to many of my male friends and acquaintances I talked to about these matters - and I believe that's why we men are the ones who complain more often about the friendzone thing.

And it's not true like how many women accuse us, claiming that we men befriend women for ulterior motives; I believe that's because their brains don't seem to comprehend that "Chemistry" in men can appear after quite a time, after months and maybe even after years of friendship - and not from the first seconds . That's why you so often hear women complaining "He was lying to me all the time, I thought we were just friends" - they often take late love/attraction confession (if not mutual) as lying and masking and pretending tactic men use, they don't seem to understand that it DOES appear late, sometimes very late, for us men . They often think that the friendzone situation is a man's fault for not being honest in the beginning and maliciously went for friendship hoping something it may change - they fail to see the possibility that he wasn't attracted to her at first and his intention was nothing of this sort, and got attracted to her later and with time.

I think that's why also men are way more often willing to go for a second date. That's why we see more often cases of males falling for female friends (and often rejected) than vice versa.

I don't get how men can just sleep with anyone even when not even attracted to them - that would make my skin crawl.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 4:51 pm

mpe wrote:
I'm aromantic, so do not want a romantic relationship. It is something which looks quite repulsive from my POV.
However non platonic friendships, especially those which involve anything sexual, can be very taboo and incredibly difficult to find. Especially if you lack social skills and understanding.

Isn't that called "hooking up"? (pun not intended)

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2017, 8:13 am

nurseangela wrote:
mpe wrote:

Isn't that called "hooking up"? (pun not intended)

Not exactly.
Though that might be an acceptable compromise, were it something possible for me :(

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 10:14 am

At least from my perspective, and in my experience, I get a crush much easier and faster than the woman. So, I think it is more likely that many neurodiverse men very quickly know that they are interested and that this takes longer for the neurodiverse women. Also, as I already explained, getting a crush on somebody I know never happened. So women really cannot accuse me of faking friendship. If I'm friends with a woman, I'll stay friends only with her forever.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 10:18 am

Alliekit wrote:
A friend/lover is usually someone you get along with as a friend but had something extra.

Your safest bet is to always be a friend and then add the extra bit of being a lover when you find someone to be with.

Be all the friend part and add the sexually interested, flirty, next level compassion.

Sounds completely alien to me.