Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Hypnotized
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2017, 8:20 pm

Hello everyone,
I hope you will stick by to read all of my post~

So since a couple of weeks / months I have been doing something that seriously got me thinking wether I might have an impulse control disorder or not.

To explain in more detail:
A while ago I was at the "To Go" store at the train station to get something to eat since I hadn't had breakfast that day. They had these sandwiches sticking out of paper bags with the barcode stuck on the paper. I also quickly noticed a trash can inside of the store. This got me to the idea of stealing the item since I have recently been struggling with money. So I smoothly let the bag with the sandwich slide into the shopping bag I was carrying. Then I walked up to the trash can, took the bag off and threw it away as if I was simply getting rid of something useless and walked out of the store, successfully.

Since then it has only escalated. I kept coming back to the store and I stole more items, mostly ones I didn't even need. I would go to the same store just to genuinely buy something because I'm hungry or getting something to drink, and out of nowhere I really get the urge of stealing something. If I was already set on buying a specific item just for personal use, I will pay for it. But it's really when I get at the store and suddenly see something I want, that I have my mind set on taking it, and I am seemingly incapable of resisting the urge.

Which got me searching online if I could be Kleptomaniac or have Compulsive Stealing Disorder.
But I seem to have symptoms from both.
A common sign of Kleptomania is stealing for the sensation of stealing something, not for personal use or financial gain. Those who have Compulsive Stealing Disorder do steal for personal gain. That seems to be the only symptom I don't 100% match with for Kleptomania. I think, at least. Because the items are commonly food, but that's because I often visit a To Go store (I'm on the go quite often) or normal grocery market (when I've got to get groceries et cetera).
But I have stolen shoes & some other pieces of clothing from stores too, which was usually not because I wanted it, but merely because I noticed the item did not have a tag or barcode on it.

Do I feel guilt whatsoever after stealing these, or does it seriously bother me? No, it doesn't. (Which apparently is a symptom of Kleptomania)
But in the back of my head I do keep thinking "What if they caught me on camera, and when I walk back through those doors they'll get me arrested?"

I would really like to stop it because I really, really do not want to be caught (and at this rate it could happen easily).

================

The impulse control issues don't stop there.

When I think of something very simple such as putting in my retainers brushing my hair or putting on deodorant (usually before going to bed) I have to do it because otherwise I won't be able to sleep. It will stay on my mind and keep bugging me until I get up to complete the task.

Does anyone have any idea what I could go to regain control over these impulses?

KatyKat_721
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2017, 9:11 pm

I'd talk to a therapist about the possibility of you having OCD. Your impulse control issues seem to line up with that, and if that's the case you may be able to be prescribed medication that will help with those impulses.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Feb 2017, 9:42 pm

KatyKat_721 wrote:
I'd talk to a therapist about the possibility of you having OCD. Your impulse control issues seem to line up with that, and if that's the case you may be able to be prescribed medication that will help with those impulses.
I 2nd this. it could be an OCD thing but even if it's not, a psych would be the best person to advise you.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition