Stupid Ubuntu drops mount folder on virtual machine

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 2:09 am

I went through the harrowing process of setting up a mount folder on Linux so I can actually do the work on Linux I've been meaning to do. It's horrible, requiring you to type these exact things, and to grab Windows' IP address, even though the Ubuntu Linux is running on a virtual machine on the same computer. You see, I set up auto-mount for the shared folder on Oracle VM, which I'm using, but Ubuntu never actually mounts it.

So having set that up last time I used this pain in the neck software, I run it again and the mount folder is gone, poof. The Oracle VM still has the shared folder I set, set to permanent and auto-mount, but apparently Ubuntu Linux didn't wanna load it again, unless I enter the magic lines on Terminal which are such a pain to enter.

So I gave up. The problem is, I have to run this program that only runs on Linux (or Mac), because the programmers got some thing against Windows, a far more straightforward OS to use, and it's been like 2 days since I started using, but thanks to the pain in the neck Linux interface has made progress a really really slow grind.

I am infuriated! It's just put me in an absolutely horrible mood. I don't really feel like doing anything else, yet I am grinding my teeth at the prospect of effing around with stupid buggy Linux again.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2017, 9:27 am

Rather than messing around with shares I would have used Dropbox or Megasync client.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 2:29 am

Other than a 32-bit Crunchbang VM I had running many moons ago, I've never had luck running Linux on anything but bare metal. I know many people will say otherwise, but to me virtual machines are mostly useless.