Experts question Trump' s Mental State

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 2:37 am

A total of 35 of the most highly respected psychiatrists and psychologists in the US have written a letter to editor of the New York Times warning that Donald Trump’s speeches and actions demonstrate an inability to tolerate views different from his own, leading to rage reactions. His words and behavior suggest a profound inability to empathize. According to this esteemed group of individuals with these traits distort reality to suit their psychological state, attacking facts and those who convey them
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/opin ... .html?_r=0
The group is headed by Professor Lance Dodes is a retired assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and Professor Joseph Schachter who is a former chairman of the Committee on Research Proposals, International Psychoanalytic Association.

It brings a serious issue which is whether a person with a mental illness should be having access to nuclear codes??

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 5:06 am

I was expecting the date of that article to be from several months ago. They've been declaring he's a deranged psychopath for really long time now. I guess maybe this is supposed to be a more definitive non-patient diagnosis? Where's Dr.Drew? I thought he was the foremost TV clip diagnostician. Or Dr. Phil for that matter.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 6:03 am

I've noticed that his public statements have become even more confused then before. There's no point in listening to him as his words have no meaning.

For example, he asked for Flynn's resignation, but then at the press conference, blamed the media for his downfall. I don't understand his thinking at all. Unless Trump is saying that he had to fire Flynn because the media found out he was a traitor, which I guess he wouldn't have done if it hadn't been discovered.

I feel bad for Pence, they really left him out in the cold.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 7:25 am

I find this all to be incredibly entertaining. Let's impeach Trump for his personality since we can't get him on anything else. :mrgreen:

I actually find it quite interesting - I would think someone with Aspergers wouldn't be in favor of someone's personality being picked apart and scrutinized like the way that Trump's personality is. I also didn't like that no one here spoke up about how the media falsely diagnosed Trump's son as being autistic. "Armchair psychiatrists" is what I call it and they need to keep their mouths shut.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 7:44 am

Oh, look, the source is the New York Times, the most insanely liberally biased news-source in the world...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 7:52 am

nurseangela wrote:
I find this all to be incredibly entertaining. Let's impeach Trump for his personality since we can't get him on anything else. :mrgreen:

I actually find it quite interesting - I would think someone with Aspergers wouldn't be in favor of someone's personality being picked apart and scrutinized like the way that Trump's personality is. I also didn't like that no one here spoke up about how the media falsely diagnosed Trump's son as being autistic. "Armchair psychiatrists" is what I call it and they need to keep their mouths shut.

Actually I started a thread about the attacks on Barron Trump a while ago and it got a lot of feedback.

But anyways if it was most anyone else other than the Donald, it probably wouldn't be nearly as welcome.

For instance all the armchair diagnosing of Hillary Clinton as having Parkinson's or other neurological disease. They were even diagnosing her appearance at the inauguration and how she had two doctors standing by her etc.

In all three cases it pretty much boils down to being a stinking witch hunt.

Last edited by EzraS on 16 Feb 2017, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 7:56 am

I do agree, wholeheartedly, that Barron shouldn't have been scrutinized the way he was scrutinized.

If he happens to be autistic/Aspergers/whatever...so what? Unless this encourages Trump to be an advocate for them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 3:41 pm

You know, he could just be an as*hole? Has anyone thought of that? :roll: as*holes lack empathy and don't see from another perspective but that doesn't mean they have something wrong with them. I am not fond of him but I think these days behaviors get pathologized and labeled. Unless he starts to round everyone up and sending them to death camps and wanting to use them for human experiments, then I will change my mind.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 6:46 pm

An Eminent Psychiatrist Demurs on Trump’s Mental State

Quote:
Most amateur diagnosticians have mislabeled President Trump with the diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder. I wrote the criteria that define this disorder, and Mr. Trump doesn’t meet them He may be a world-class narcissist, but this doesn’t make him mentally ill, because he does not suffer from the distress and impairment required to diagnose mental disorder.

Mr. Trump causes severe distress rather than experiencing it and has been richly rewarded, rather than punished, for his grandiosity, self-absorption and lack of empathy. It is a stigmatizing insult to the mentally ill (who are mostly well behaved and well meaning) to be lumped with Mr. Trump (who is neither).

Bolding mine

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 6:53 pm

nurseangela wrote:

Hear, hear!

Never thought we'd agree on something.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 6:56 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Oh, look, the source is the New York Times, the most insanely liberally biased news-source in the world...

News sources doing crap like this are losing credibility in my eyes.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 7:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
A total of 35 of the most highly respected psychiatrists and psychologists in the US have written a letter to editor of the New York Times warning that Donald Trump’s speeches and actions demonstrate an inability to tolerate views different from his own, leading to rage reactions. His words and behavior suggest a profound inability to empathize. According to this esteemed group of individuals with these traits distort reality to suit their psychological state, attacking facts and those who convey them
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/opin ... .html?_r=0
The group is headed by Professor Lance Dodes is a retired assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and Professor Joseph Schachter who is a former chairman of the Committee on Research Proposals, International Psychoanalytic Association.

It brings a serious issue which is whether a person with a mental illness should be having access to nuclear codes??

Back in 1964 the shrinks (mostly liberal Democrats) pulled that sh*t with Barry Goldwater implying that Goldwater's strong anti-Soviet stand was clearly do to psychosis. It was pure bullsh*t.

Now here is the Word. A proper psychiatric diagnosis requires an examination of the patient including a neurophysiological workup to determine whether the patient is suffering from a neurological physical ailment.

No ethical psychiatrist would base a diagnosis purely on external behavior. Trump behavior is completely at odds with the Washington crowd. Trump has zero political experience. He never sought nor held office until he was elected as President of the United States. He did not run with political crowd and he never was one of the Beautiful People.

Trumps behavior absolutely appalls the liberal progressive crowd. He is a hard boiled real-estate man. He isn't a banker. He isn't a stock or bond broker and he ran in different circles from the Wall Street financial elite.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 7:44 pm

LOL -- Well that's 35 experts that I can definitively diagnose as having terminal cases of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

I will be glad to accept them into my palliative practice (the going rate is $500/hr), but given the seriousness of their condition, cure is impossible and remission is unlikely. :mrgreen:

--Dr. Darmok

There Are Four Lights!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 8:35 pm

When I typed in "Obama has narcissistic personality disorder" I got many hits.

As a matter of fact, it filled out the rest as soon as I got to "Obama has nar"

This falls in line with things like ...is a dictator etc.

It seems like several or most Presidents have already been accused of many of the things Trump is being accused of.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 8:36 pm

cyberdad wrote:
A total of 35 of the most highly respected psychiatrists and psychologists in the US have written a letter to editor of the New York Times warning that Donald Trump’s speeches and actions demonstrate an inability to tolerate views different from his own, leading to rage reactions.

Sounds like these psychiatrists/psychologists are demonstrating a classic case of projection.

Definition: "Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 9:12 pm

I wonder if there's any way I can be medically put into a coma for the next 4 years or more.