Flawed Design of Drug Trials for Autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 11:11 am

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... gs/516855/

Drug trials miss important things like improved cognition.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 1:21 pm

There seems to be a desperation to get rid of autistic traits that is even greater than with many diseases. This leads not only to acceptance of quack treatments but to researchers cutting corners for desperation and financial and prestige reasons. The scientist who "cures" autism will probably win a Noble peace prize and be a huge celebrity. Even without the personal gain motives, some researchers are more likely to take chances they normally will not take for "humane" reasons figuring there is nothing to lose by attempting to end or ease "suffering".

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 10:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
There seems to be a desperation to get rid of autistic traits that is even greater than with many diseases. This leads not only to acceptance of quack treatments but to researchers cutting corners for desperation and financial and prestige reasons. The scientist who "cures" autism will probably win a Noble peace prize and be a huge celebrity. Even without the personal gain motives, some researchers are more likely to take chances they normally will not take for "humane" reasons figuring there is nothing to lose by attempting to end or ease "suffering".

Get rid of autistic traits, and you weed out scientific and artistic geniuses like Einstein, Newton, Lovecraft, or Kafka. That's what the world needs - - less innovations and leaps forward! :roll:

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 11:09 pm

My preferred drugs for autism include:

1) Tea (especially Yorkshire Gold)
2) Chocolate
3) Epsom salt baths
4) Massage

"indulge as needed ..." 8)

That said, as it happens, I took an online test for autistic traits years ago when I was first starting out as an artist, and then took the test within this past year, after having achieved some success in the art world ... and for whatever reason, I test as slightly more autistic now than I did previously. I do actually think it's because I've been focusing more on art.

White swan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2017, 4:41 am

Is that true? the seaside therapeutics will do work for ASD?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 9:13 am

White swan wrote:
Is that true? the seaside therapeutics will do work for ASD?

Firstly, Epsom salt baths can help you relax and elevate your mood ... a good thing when you consider that many folks with ASD experience anxiety or depression as comorbids.

Secondly, Epsom salts consist of the minerals magnesium and sulfate. I've read that while the general population (including NTs) tends to be deficient in magnesium, ASD folks are particularly affected due to digestion disorders. I've also read that ASD folks can have problems processing sulfate (also spelled sulphate), and so need to make sure they get enough.

http://blog.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/2013/04/04/magnesium-help-manage-adhd-autism-symptoms-infographic/

http://www.autismfile.com/science-research/sulphation-and-autism-what-are-the-links

You can Google plenty more links on Epsom salts, magnesium, sulfate, and autism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 10:19 am

So now Epsom salts ease autism traits. When I was young it was touted as making those damm kids less horny. :?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 12:27 pm

In fact, I've had good results using Epsom salts to relax, ease headaches, pick up my mood, and help clear up a skin condition.

An Aspie friend of mine told me that she was having trouble sleeping. I told her about Epsom salt baths ... she tried it, and it worked for her.

Your mileage may vary.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 1:03 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Get rid of autistic traits, and you weed out scientific and artistic geniuses like Einstein, Newton, Lovecraft, or Kafka. That's what the world needs - - less innovations and leaps forward! :roll:

Bunch of elitists, who needs em :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 2:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Bunch of elitists, who needs em :D

:lol:
The sort who call these Aspie pioneers in the arts and sciences elitists obviously aren't aware that Lovecraft died in poverty, and that Kafka lived in obscurity as an insurance investigator, and that Newton remained a lifelong virgin. Then again, those types who hold so called elitists in contempt probably see the arts as the stuff of pansies, and see science as Satan's work.

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2017, 12:49 pm

Do you suppose they'll forcibly medicate us once a drug is developed?

Perhaps they'll stop someone's disability benefit or threaten to sack them from their job if they choose to remain autistic?

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell

jmncrr000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2017, 3:16 pm

Autism is characterized by marked difficulties in behavior, social interaction, communication and sensory sensitivities. Some of these characteristics are common among people on the spectrum; others are typical of the disability but not necessarily exhibited by all people on the autism spectrum. These characteristics are a product of the neurological disorder itself, for which there is no cure. There are only drugs that can help with these impairments.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 10:53 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The scientist who "cures" autism will probably win a Noble peace prize and be a huge celebrity.

No they wouldn't, because they would get the Nobel Prize for Medicine instead.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 10:55 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Prove it. What evidence is there to suggest a link - ANY link - between being on the proverbial spectrum and being a genius?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 12:26 am

Lintar wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Prove it. What evidence is there to suggest a link - ANY link - between being on the proverbial spectrum and being a genius?

Einstein, Newton, Lovecraft, and Kafka - all probably Aspies, and all geniuses in their fields. What else do you need?
If you're accusing me of saying that all Aspies are geniuses, I did not, because that's certainly not the case. But to say that those with Asperger's who have excelled in the arts and sciences would have done so even if they weren't autistic probably is a mistake.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 12:31 am

Lintar wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Einstein, Newton, Lovecraft, and Kafka - all probably Aspies, and all geniuses in their fields. What else do you need?
If you're accusing me of saying that all Aspies are geniuses, I did not, because that's certainly not the case. But to say that those with Asperger's who have excelled in the arts and sciences would have done so even if they weren't autistic probably is a mistake.