Is There Such Thing as a Practice Relationship?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 5:45 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
All relationships except for your last are practice relationships.

Your last relationship is also a practice relationship except that you're not practicing for your next one, it's practice for itself.

That's a good way of looking at it. Huh.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 4:07 pm

I believe it's something innate, either you have it or not.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 4:15 pm

Surf Rider wrote:
Another issues is that people are expecting more from their relationships now. People now expect a partner to not only provide companionship, but also a sense of esteem and self-actualization (as per Maslow's hierarchy of needs.) A relationship isn't just about love and companionship anymore. It's also about self-expression, and about getting the admiration and respect of your peers. This has been called the "expressive marriage," because people marry not only for love, but for self-expression. That's a tall order, and a lot of people can't meet those higher expectations, which is part of why relationships are such a struggle.

I haven't heard of this, but if that's true it's bad news for me. Self-actualization for me is just self-expression, wearing clothes I like, and worrying more about music and family than money or achievements.

Surf Rider wrote:
I think the thing that makes the most difference is the partner you choose. Thinking back on the seven girlfriends I've had and the gazillions of dates that I've been on, the woman I was with made more difference than anything else in terms of the quality of the relationship, because my behavior was largely the same clueless behavior in all instances.

So a lot of it comes down to being able to recognize a good partner, which I have been terrible at. Not because I'm obsessed with looks - some of the women I've dated who were the best partners were also the best looking. But I failed to recognize several women who were good partners, even when these women were upfront that they liked me, and instead I pursued women who turned out to be terrible partners. Part of this was, as I said before, I was unable to accept their feelings for me because I didn't know how to be the object of their desire.

At this point I don't think I have problems with unclear communication or failing to add meaning to someone's life. It's more that I have a history of running away from good partners, and instead pursuing bad partners. Part of this is because I don't know how to accept affection and let myself be desired, especially lusted after.

I've heard of this! Although, I don't know a solution. The first time I heard about it was in the movie, The Perks of Being of a Wallflower. There was a phrase that went something like, "We accept the love we think we deserve." A lot of people didn't like that, but I later read some articles (I wish I could find them again) about how sometimes children who lived in hostile environments don't quite believe, trust in, or know how to function in healthy relationships, so they seek out dysfunctional ones because they understand them and it's more comfortable. Either way, I'm sorry to hear you've had that experience, regardless of the reasons. It might not apply to you at all.

For myself, I may not know how to select. I was jealous recently because I have a good online friend in a gaming community who plays with his girlfriend. They watched the recent announcements on a new game together and were apparently chatting about what might be in it. I want a relationship like that, where couples can sit down and be excited about something and share their thoughts, but it's so hard to get that in a boyfriend.

I wonder what it is about her that makes him love her so much and want to spend so much time with her. He says she's his world and they're often doing things together or just hanging out, even online. I've tried dating men I was friends with first, men who were outgoing and men who were shy. I've picked men who seemed eager to talk to me, because that's what I want, but that always changes quickly so I think it must be something I'm doing or saying.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 4:25 pm

Surf Rider wrote:
Canary wrote:
I've tried treating boyfriends the same way I treat friends and it doesn't work. It's baffling. It's like relationships aren't just Friendship+. They're a completely different thing with a whole new rulebook, and I have to learn that one when I'm barely passing the daily pop quizzes on the first few social rulebooks.

Exactly. A relationship is not just friends + benefits. It's not just that you have this really good friend that you just happen to also kiss/sleep with. A relationship is something completely different from a friendship and has a completely different set of expectations. In a lot of ways, I understand the expectations for friendship and basic social interaction, but I don't have any idea what the expectations are in a relationship.

Well, a romantic relationship seems qualitatively different from a friendship. Here are some differences:

A friend shares interests with you, but a lover completes you.
A friend comforts you, but a lover heals you.
A friends asks you if you need something, but a lover already is what you need.
A friend is someone you know, but a lover is someone you've known since the beginning of time.
A friend makes activities fun, but a lover makes activities meaningful.
A friend helps you pass the time, but a lover makes the time worth passing.

I know how to share interests with someone, how to comfort someone, and how to make activities fun. I don't know how to complete someone, how to heal someone, or how to make activities meaningful. That's what I'd want to learn in a practice relationship.

It's almost as if being a romantic partner means that I'm the meaning in my partner's life. I don't know how to do that.

Canary wrote:

I wish there were a good series of videos, or very detailed books, on how to understand relationships.

The relationship counseling and dating advice industries are huge, so this isn't just an Aspie problem. We're drowning in relationship advice, and yet relationships seem more difficult than ever. But you can't learn about relationships from a book. You have to learn about it from the inside, by learning from your experience and being allowed to make mistakes. Unfortunately, most partners aren't too tolerant of romantic mistakes, even if they are tolerant of non-romantic behavior mistakes. If you make too many romantic mistakes, your partner leaves, which makes it much harder to learn the right skills.

In my past relationships, I was comfortable with desiring someone, and comfortable with her being my "one and only." But being the object of desire, and being someone's one-and-only, that is something I had no idea how to do.

And Canary, the guy you're seeing sounds like he has an avoidant attachment style. Check out http://www.attachedthebook.com/compatibility-quiz/

I don't even understand what you are saying here. I would want a Hunny who is like the "friend" above and by them doing those things then they fulfill the second half. Your sweetie is supposed to be both.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Surf Rider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Feb 2017, 9:25 pm

Canary wrote:
Surf Rider wrote:
At this point I don't think I have problems with unclear communication or failing to add meaning to someone's life. It's more that I have a history of running away from good partners, and instead pursuing bad partners. Part of this is because I don't know how to accept affection and let myself be desired, especially lusted after.

I've heard of this! Although, I don't know a solution. The first time I heard about it was in the movie, The Perks of Being of a Wallflower. There was a phrase that went something like, "We accept the love we think we deserve."

I worked on this a little bit, where I tried to convince myself that I deserved good love. It did help a little, but at some point it seemed that there was another reason I would shut down when someone liked me, and that does turn out to be an autistic trait from what I have read. There's only so much I can do to convince myself that I deserve good love before I start to get diminishing returns on that strategy. It seems more of a function of autism. Either way, the solution is the same: stop running away from people who like me. I can stick around and learn to deal with their affection, even if it feels unfamiliar or uncomfortable.

HelloSweetie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2017, 5:11 am

Surf Rider wrote:
I worked on this a little bit, where I tried to convince myself that I deserved good love. It did help a little, but at some point it seemed that there was another reason I would shut down when someone liked me, and that does turn out to be an autistic trait from what I have read. There's only so much I can do to convince myself that I deserve good love before I start to get diminishing returns on that strategy. It seems more of a function of autism. Either way, the solution is the same: stop running away from people who like me. I can stick around and learn to deal with their affection, even if it feels unfamiliar or uncomfortable.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
Feeling worthy of love is a wonderful brave thing to pursue rather than searching for a 'practical relationship' fix.

(which btw I don't think it's an autistic trait, just a coping mechanism due to low self-esteem because most of us feel so weird and misunderstood)