Becoming apathetic but at the same time not?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 4:53 am

Well I keep feeling like I just don't even want to hear about politics, f**k it what happens, happens...but I am not truley apathetic because I still care about the consequences of what people particularly those in power do. I hate that this new administration wants to turn back all environmental regulations and effectively ignore environmental issues and human contribution to them. I look around at some of the beautiful landscapes here in Colorado and I don't want that to be gone...there is beauty in it that cannot be replicated so why destroy it? The world is a beautiful place and people want to rape all its resources and drain it dry of every last bit of sustenance and our government wants to allow it...WTF, of course its not the only issue, but I've cared about the environment since I was 7 and don't understand why recycling as a public service wasn't implemented years ago...and if anything the current administration is a step backwards in progress towards things like that. But I hope it proves only to be an obstacle.

But that said there is so much B.S associated with politics I don't even know what to do except sign petitions if they come around for causes I support or try and start one of my own...but as for paying attention to the sh*t show I don't want to, but I still have to a little to remain informed of current events. Anyone else stuck on to care or not to care?

People told me one day I would change and not care so much, but I cringe every time I throw a recyclable item away in a garbage that will go to a landfill, we could so easily provide recycling to people....so f***ing easily, manufacture packaging and other materials that just get thrown in the garbage out of biodegradable and renewable hemp....there are so many freaking solutions right in our faces and we want to be a goddamn wasteful, trashy society....even vehicle fuel can be made of used fast food grease. Like WTF America 'the greatest country in the world' :roll:

Step the f***k up and be a leader not a bad example.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 5:38 am

I want to cry about the fact I probably killed my venus flytraps(Ill get some more and try and do it better this time) but I don't want to care about all the B.S president trump is doing...lol and I want to buy all the beta fish from all the stores and free them...because dammint half of them probably die in their little plastic containers because I doubt they sell 50 of those a day, yet they have tons more than that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 8:30 am

Its good that you care.

But I think that every American is suffering from election fatigue, and from polarization fatigue, and from vitriol hangover.

So even a concerned citizen like yourself is entitled some time off from thinking about politics. :lol:

I believe that beta fish come from like the Amazon (the tropics). Dont think that they would fair very well in the streams of Colorado. So setting them free might not be a good idea.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Feb 2017, 12:04 pm

You're sweet gal and I think your heart is in the right place but I do not believe that Trump is going to desecrate the environment, the Democrats cry about the new EPA head but the EPA under Obama killed jobs and far overreached their authority. How Democrats thought 'we're going to put coal miners out of work" and that 'energy prices necessarily need to skyrocket' were attractive views to the common person, I have no idea. Hillary saying that stuff about coal miners was part of what gave me confidence in Trump winning Pennsylvania & Ohio which pretty much guarantees you the presidency, she said that in West Virginia iirc of all places.

It is fatiguing tho and I think it is important to step back sometimes, it's hard for me since I am way too interested & invested into this stuff but at this point people aren't even really listening to each other it seems. It's feels like it's all everybody talks about and its so personal, sometimes you don't want to look at everybody as black/white good/evil and want to just interact normally with people. I've bit my tongue most of my life around people who would probably disagree with me on a lot of things, some things are best kept to yourself. Segregating yourself from people that have different beliefs than you is not the way to go, you have to look for commonalities and look at people as complete humans.

If you are worried about conservation and the environment then I think contributing in your own way might be the way to go and might make yourself feel better, I think these are areas where 1 person can really make an impact. Growing venus fly-traps sounds neat and bettas are beautiful little fish that are treated so cruelly by the pet trade, a project I've been wanting to start is a female betta sorority tank with 'rescued' fish but funds are low and it's a little more complicated than throwing them all in tank together since even female betta are aggressive apparently but it is possible to keep them in the same tank. Female betta are not as pretty as the male ones so I thought they'd be less likely to be bought. A lot of people don't consider fish animals or something even living for some reason, it doesn't make any sense to me and the gross thought with bettas which were marketed at one time as 'siamese fighting fish' is that people buy them for that purpose. It's messed up when you start thinking about what happens to all these fish, I imagine a good portion live their entire shortened lives in those cups. Sorry about the tangent on bettas but keeping an aquarium in general I think can be a very rewarding hobby to explore. Creating and maintaining a whole little ecosystem is something I've always thought was really cool.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 11:52 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I want to cry about the fact I probably killed my venus flytraps(Ill get some more and try and do it better this time) but I don't want to care about all the B.S president trump is doing...

If you've been watering them with tap water that's the most likely culprit.
Tap water is chlorinated which is lethal to Venus Flytraps.

Cheers.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 12:24 am

I've recently started a new job with a company that's hugely into recycling. Which is also good news for me, because it means I can bag up my used printer cartridges, scrap electronics, plastic bags and bottles, glass jars, cardboard boxes, etc., bring them in to work, and dispose of them properly, instead of saving them up and trying to figure out a convenient time and place to recycle them on my own. And yeah, my living space really could use a good spring cleaning. :mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 1:31 am

SpiceWolf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I want to cry about the fact I probably killed my venus flytraps(Ill get some more and try and do it better this time) but I don't want to care about all the B.S president trump is doing...

Cheers.

I was using filtered water, though the jug we had, had a filter that hadn't been changed for who knows how long and was cracked, I did recently replace it but I know it was watered with water from that jug before I replaced it...so that could be part of it. Also I think I watered them too much for dormancy and didn't put them in a cool enough area and trimmed them too much which I think you're supposed to mostly leave them alone when they go into that phase, but a couple websites said you should trim off the dead parts, but now I am thinking that prevents it having much of anything to restore when it comes out of dormancy.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 2:51 am

the_phoenix wrote:
I've recently started a new job with a company that's hugely into recycling. Which is also good news for me, because it means I can bag up my used printer cartridges, scrap electronics, plastic bags and bottles, glass jars, cardboard boxes, etc., bring them in to work, and dispose of them properly, instead of saving them up and trying to figure out a convenient time and place to recycle them on my own. And yeah, my living space really could use a good spring cleaning. :mrgreen:

I have a little collection of electronic waste as I don't want to put it with general garbage but I also don't know where to recycle it so for the time being I've just held onto it. I mean how hard would it be to have more easy access and information in regards to recycling? Is having tons of manmade waste really that profitable? So far we collect cans at my house and bring them to this place that pays for them....only a few cents per can but last time we got 20 dollars out of 5 bags and now we have at least 7 bags. Also my mom recycles so I bring some recyclable waste to her house, but it can get difficult trying to throw non recyclables in the garbage and collecting all the recyclables when living with 6 room-mates who aren't all so concerned as I am who also obviously don't want trash build up, so sometimes bags of stuff I am trying to save to recycle at my moms get thrown with the garbage when other people clean.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 9:51 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I want to cry about the fact I probably killed my venus flytraps(Ill get some more and try and do it better this time) but I don't want to care about all the B.S president trump is doing...lol and I want to buy all the beta fish from all the stores and free them...because dammint half of them probably die in their little plastic containers because I doubt they sell 50 of those a day, yet they have tons more than that.

Beta fish evolved in warm mud puddles in SE asia. The cold clear water in CO would likely kill them.

I am with you on the apathy. The only real enjoyment I get pointing out how all the rightwing trolls are wrong, but even that is losing its enjoyment.

I am thinking of giving up news all together.

I have never had much success with venus flytraps. Pitcher plants seem a little hardier.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 7:51 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
SpiceWolf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Cheers.

I was using filtered water, though the jug we had, had a filter that hadn't been changed for who knows how long and was cracked, I did recently replace it but I know it was watered with water from that jug before I replaced it...so that could be part of it. Also I think I watered them too much for dormancy and didn't put them in a cool enough area and trimmed them too much which I think you're supposed to mostly leave them alone when they go into that phase, but a couple websites said you should trim off the dead parts, but now I am thinking that prevents it having much of anything to restore when it comes out of dormancy.

I don't think filters can rid chlorine out of water; we're talking about small molecules here, too small for been blocked by filters.

I'm also depressed with how the world is going. Seem like the enlightenment heritage will be destroyed and things will again be bad like it have been for nearly all civilization history, or possibly worst from environmental disasters that will be somehow blamed on those who wanted to prevent them by those who are the most responsible of it.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 8:33 pm

I can't stand politics. I can't stand repeating the same s**t over and over again.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 8:41 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
SpiceWolf wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Cheers.

I don't think filters can rid chlorine out of water; we're talking about small molecules here, too small for been blocked by filters.

I'm also depressed with how the world is going. Seem like the enlightenment heritage will be destroyed and things will again be bad like it have been for nearly all civilization history, or possibly worst from environmental disasters that will be somehow blamed on those who wanted to prevent them by those who are the most responsible of it.

If you let water sit out in a bowl, much of the chlorine will evaporate.