Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2017, 3:58 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
cberg wrote:
Well pretty much no one else handles global on-site reporting so I fail to see a factor that could 'balance' a news outlet's content any further. I'll go ahead & ignore 'fair' in this context because let's get real, Murdoch already thoroughly debased both those words where media's concerned. It's not like the BBC is run by any one person, so I'm not surprised to see a few contributors fumbling everything in anxious bids to stand next to the history of the organization.

Seems like you're more interested in documentary film than any media people can distort in situ. If you weren't familiar, look up a movie called Five Broken Cameras.

The BBC is just government propaganda.

I once engaged in a political conversation with you on here and you posted up a link to the New Observer Online to support your point. That website is a pretty shocking and extreme place to take any views from.

No doubt he'll say that it's the "real news" and you sheeple should "wake up". :roll:

On a more general note, only reading news sources which fit to your politics is a sure way to get locked in an echo chamber.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 4:33 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
cberg wrote:
Well pretty much no one else handles global on-site reporting so I fail to see a factor that could 'balance' a news outlet's content any further. I'll go ahead & ignore 'fair' in this context because let's get real, Murdoch already thoroughly debased both those words where media's concerned. It's not like the BBC is run by any one person, so I'm not surprised to see a few contributors fumbling everything in anxious bids to stand next to the history of the organization.

Seems like you're more interested in documentary film than any media people can distort in situ. If you weren't familiar, look up a movie called Five Broken Cameras.

Which is why the government spends so long complaining about how it portrays them and trying to get it shut down!

If it was government propaganda then it wouldn't run articles criticising the government every day.

Give some examples please. The BBC has to pretend to be impartial. They were outrageously biased against Ed Miliband during the last election.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 4:35 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
cberg wrote:

I once engaged in a political conversation with you on here and you posted up a link to the New Observer Online to support your point. That website is a pretty shocking and extreme place to take any views from.

If the New Observer posted about the color of grass being green, would that mean grass was actually blue? From memory, I'm sure what I posted was available via other sources, maybe the BBC, and in that case I'd have just chosen the more reliable one.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 1:49 am

JohnPowell wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
cberg wrote:

If the New Observer posted about the color of grass being green, would that mean grass was actually blue? From memory, I'm sure what I posted was available via other sources, maybe the BBC, and in that case I'd have just chosen the more reliable one.

The post you linked it on was about numbers of white folk (New Observer Online's speciality appears to be stories for white people crying that the world is against them) and funnily enough when I search news stories they don't appear in the results, I wonder how they just happened to be the one you clicked on in a search..... :lol:

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 1:56 am

JohnPowell wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
cberg wrote:

The post you linked it on was about numbers of white folk (New Observer Online's speciality appears to be stories for white people crying that the world is against them) and funnily enough when I search news stories they don't appear in the results, I wonder how they just happened to be the one you clicked on in a search.... :lol:

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 8:26 am

Where as every other paper is talking about whites being against the world? If they got the statistics from a genuine source, it doesn't matter if they were the only ones willing to talk about it. I can't even remember what it was about. Obviously means a lot to you though.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 9:06 am

Nah, just makes me laugh how much you continually make accusations at people and call people names on here then whenever anyone points out your contradictions or errors you simply can't deal with it. :lol:

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 2:30 pm

It would help if I knew what the contradictions were? It shows your desperation when you're getting personal and trying to change the subject to me.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 4:22 am

I am just so desperate! :lol:

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 1:16 pm

You don't need to convince me!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 2:00 pm

While I'm honestly not concerned with the ways other people evaluate information you're writing off as many honest journalists as you possibly can at once. In the context of an organization this size there's just no way bias & misrepresentation can outpace facts.

I don't see how fixating on one regional conflict in any way evaluates the competence of any global entity.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 2:03 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Nah, just makes me laugh how much you continually make accusations at people and call people names on here then whenever anyone points out your contradictions or errors you simply can't deal with it. :lol:

For that matter few subjects can get more impersonal. I stay up to 4AM watching world service news because it's helpful to know the bases for people's decisions & feelings, not because I need to feel my own viewpoint on my home state vindicated. I live in Colorado FFS, all the rest of you can bicker about this state.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 2:05 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
MirrorWars wrote:
The BBC have mentioned the fact that British-made weaponary is used in the Middle East, many times.

Have they used it to show images in Palestine or Yemen as people are being blown to bits, telling the audience that those weapons were bought from us?

It's everywhere dude. I just turned down a job interview from Samsung because I don't want to work for any company that also builds missiles.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 2:44 pm

Reality of Syria. The BBC relies on some guy in the UK in his bedroom or the "white helmets" who are funded by the UK and US and who just won an Oscar :lol:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Mar 2017, 4:12 am

JohnPowell wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
cberg wrote:

Which is why the government spends so long complaining about how it portrays them and trying to get it shut down!

If it was government propaganda then it wouldn't run articles criticising the government every day.

Give some examples please. The BBC has to pretend to be impartial. They were outrageously biased against Ed Miliband during the last election.

Really, because the government thought the BBC was outrageously biased against them and was "dancing to Labour's tune."

Some current news stories the BBC are pushing include them withdrawing the whip from a highly-respected Lord, Michael Heseltine, because he opposes their Brexit plan. Very embarrassing for the government. There's also a story about how the government struck a deal with Surrey County Council to suppress the threat of a referendum on a big council tax hike. Again, very embarrassing for the government.

The government would want their anticipated announcement of more money for schools in the budget to be greeted cheerfully. Indeed, it's the only anticipated measure the BBC have given a whole story to. But that story contains a great big criticism of the government:

Quote:
Mr Hammond will also promise £216m to rebuild and refurbish existing schools.

But he is facing criticism for failing to address the growing warnings from head teachers about a funding crisis in existing schools.

There have been warnings of four-day weeks and cuts in staffing and subjects - and the National Audit Office has warned of an 8% real-terms funding gap for schools up to 2020.

Jules White, a head teacher in West Sussex and part of a campaign against funding shortages, said parents who are facing cuts in their children's schools should be made aware that "money is no object" for free schools and grammar schools.

"It is little short of disgraceful that our government is releasing money huge sums of money for projects which are unproven and not viable when excellent schools up and down the country are not even able to make ends meet," said Mr White.

I'm not saying this is an unwarranted attack on the government, far from it. It's just that a piece of government propaganda wouldn't include that. The BBC could quite easily leave it out and still say that they were being impartial and balanced, instead including Angela Rayner talking about an abstract concept like social mobility rather than something tangible like four-day weeks.

The BBC doesn't just pretend to be impartial, it does a damn good job about it. Slight bias towards UKIP but that's about it.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 2:01 pm

I would say their love affair with Farage is quite weird, aside from that there is little to criticise them for (although the fringe lunatics will obv)