Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2017, 7:40 pm

Yes, I know some Aspies clearly can drive, but it seems a lot of us cannot. I don't know if this rings a bell with anyone, but my instructor essentially told me that my thinking patterns made driving difficult (she did not know I was AS). She said that I did not concentrate on what was immediately in front of the car, but what might be a problem literally further down the road. Basically, I think my AS mind struggled to cope with the multitasking necessary to drive.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 9:00 pm

I drive, but I only got my license for the first time at age 48. It can be done.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 9:13 pm

I am a pretty absent minded driver. I'm always backing into things, and yesterday I broke off my side mirror.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 9:16 pm

From my perspective it is easier than it first appears. It's all in the instructor and the tester. I got it my second time and I passed the written test with 2 mistakes and 68 questions. It took a LOT of studying and a LOT of rote work, but I eventually got it because my desire for independence is greater than my desire for leisure. Always keep your goal in mind, not your failures, at least I think.

I still have troubles when I drive, but I'm not sure if it's just me or it's everyone who's just started driving on their own. Keep in mind that we are built to adapt to ANY condition (with time), and Aspergers doesn't destroy this ability, it just changes the ways in which we do so. If it takes 40 years so be it, as long as you have the desire you'll get there eventually.

And one third final point, on a separate note, I realized most of the issues I had with driving were because of anxiety and the constant criticisms I got from people, when I let those go and I figured out how things work on my own (studied street rules, light patterns, road lines, everything) I started figuring the way things work out on my own, and I think you should try do the same.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 9:19 pm

nephets wrote:
Yes, I know some Aspies clearly can drive, but it seems a lot of us cannot. I don't know if this rings a bell with anyone, but my instructor essentially told me that my thinking patterns made driving difficult (she did not know I was AS). She said that I did not concentrate on what was immediately in front of the car, but what might be a problem literally further down the road. Basically, I think my AS mind struggled to cope with the multitasking necessary to drive.

I had this same problem when I first started. But with due time, I could instinctively near and far… Just keep practicing. Maybe play some driving games (I played allot when I was younger and I think it helped my reaction time).

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 11:16 pm

I don't drive.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 11:28 pm

I'm 16, but it will be a long time before I can drive a car around if ever.

I do however have an uncanny savant talent for parallel parking.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2017, 2:35 am

I learnt when I was 17 and passed the first time. I've had two accidents in 32 years (once I came off the road during a hail storm and once a drunk driver nearly killed me) and have twice driven professionally as a delivery driver. As for the test; I passed the actual driving test with flying colours and zero mistakes but really sucked at the theory/highway code test. I don't really have any coordination problems but I am very heavy-handed.

I agree that your instructor makes a lot of difference. Also, if you can get a patient family member or friend to help, lots of practice even before you get an instructor.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 3:31 am

I drive, but I only learned to drive automatic. I also need SatNav for trips that I don't take multiple times a week, and I can't drive without music on.

I learned to drive before I found out that I'm autistic. I tried at 17 and failed, having spent almost £3000 on lessons. Then, I started up again at 21 and this time passed first time.

Looking back, I see areas I struggled with a lot. I know that I had difficulties with multitasking, which is why I eventually moved on to automatic lessons. I couldn't change gears and drive at the same time.

My first instructor told me that I drove like I was 'in a bubble'. I believe he meant that I didn't seem to respond right to what was around me. Probably because I struggled feeling overwhelmed without music to distract and calm me.

I also had issues with roundabouts, where I was taught that the right lane was for going around the roundabout and the left was for coming off or going straight ahead, so if I needed to turn left or go straight ahead I'd pull out into the left lane as long as it was clear. The instructor was always slamming his breaks on and telling me not to go, and I couldn't work out why. Eventually, he clearly explained that people in the right-hand lane might have been on the roundabout for a while to turn right, and would now need to move into the left lane to take their exit, so I couldn't go unless BOTH lanes were clear. Once he said that, it all clicked into place and I understood, but I think he just thought I was being careless. I guess that was a literal thinking thing.

I'm a very good driver, now. A rule follower. I don't get caught up in games on the road like others do - racing and speeding and cutting people up.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 6:08 am

nephets wrote:
She said that I did not concentrate on what was immediately in front of the car, but what might be a problem literally further down the road.

What your doing is known as Hazard Perception and you need to be able to do this to pass your driving test , ( they will even test you on it ). The key is to to be aware of whats further down the road ( have it in your peripheral vision ) but not to an extent where your not focusing on directly in front of you. If you think it might be an anxiety issue then the more you practice , the more you'll gain confidence , the easier it will become. Good Luck. :D

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2017, 6:20 am

I've never tried to learn on account of how I knew I wouldn't be able to cope with it, long before I had a diagnosis.

Fanatic Heretic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2017, 9:46 am

I can drive (but not so well), but I don't because it's difficult for me with all the multitasking and paying attention to everything around you....nope, it's hell, unless I drive when there's almost no traffic. I still want to learn to drive better though, but it's bad for me and my parents don't seem to trust me.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 9:47 am

I took driver's ed in high school and my instructor told my mother that he thought it was unlikely that I would ever get a driver's license. He was wrong, because I got my license a couple years later. I don't drive very often and I prefer to get rides places, but I can drive if I absolutely have to.

cricketman123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2017, 10:16 am

How easy is it to drive, i would be very scared on rounderbouts for the first time are they as hard as i maybe think?

I would love to drive one day though

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2017, 10:17 am

To answer the OP's question, the answer is it depends on who you're talking about.

From personal experience, yes, I can drive, and I'm pretty good at it. However, I take forever to make turns as I'm incapable of judging distance/speed of oncoming cars. Thankfully local drivers are not in a hurry, and I live out in the country, so there isn't much traffic. Wildlife are a more likely hazard, and I don't have a problem avoiding those.

What's more interesting is that I tend to hit things frequently when walking, but not when driving or sailing, and that I am very bad at driving in games. Perhaps driving/sailing is one of my special talents?

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2017, 10:49 am

Yes my dad is aspie and he drives well he was former taxi driver. I also take the driving license few years ago and I am not bad but I don't take the car often because I am afraid