Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Tethys
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2017, 6:33 am

Hi
Which are the most ethical AS research, support and awareness groups and organisations in Australia?
Where will donations be most effectively used?
Which ones are run by people on the spectrum for people on the spectrum with our best interests in mind?
Who doesn't have a good reputation and should be avoided?
Does Autism Speaks have any groups or affiliations in Australia?

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 8:04 pm

"Autism Speaks" doesn't exist in Australia, and one of the reasons why is due to the fact that they have a positively atrocious reputation, so you should do your best to avoid them like the proverbial plague.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 2:36 am

Back when my daughter was diagnosed with ASD I learned that there was a Victorian Aspergers Association started by parents of children with AS.

Although I wasn't too pleased that they wouldn't let my daughter join (I'll save that story for another time) I guess they are fairly big (around 400 families/members)...

Putting aside my whinging you could still give them a go

creativedreamer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jun 2017, 1:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
Back when my daughter was diagnosed with ASD I learned that there was a Victorian Aspergers Association started by parents of children with AS.

Although I wasn't too pleased that they wouldn't let my daughter join (I'll save that story for another time) I guess they are fairly big (around 400 families/members)...

That IS strange.
Hello fellow Victorian :)

I don't know about ethical groups but hoping to either engage in AS groups or work on my challenges in other indirect ways. Will get back to you. I did go to an Adult ADHD group in the city though that was member run that was really good, they don't really need funding though.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 2:49 am

creativedreamer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

That IS strange.
Hello fellow Victorian :)

I don't know about ethical groups but hoping to either engage in AS groups or work on my challenges in other indirect ways. Will get back to you. I did go to an Adult ADHD group in the city though that was member run that was really good, they don't really need funding though.

Hi !
I think a good place to start is
http://www.aspergersvic.org.au/

good luck :)