Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 3:55 pm

I can't be on this website without my Norton virus saying this site is bad. Then it wants me to update my Flash. How do I do that, and should I do that? How do I know that isn't spam? Wth! They need to get rid of the damn moving ads because that is when all of my computer problems started. Crap.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 7:02 pm

Don't you know by now that Norton so-called anti-virus IS itself a virus ?
You are better off getting rid of that crap and replacing it with something like Comodo Security instead.
It's even free but, for whatever reason, you have to choose only one version of its product(s). Anyway...

https://antivirus.comodo.com/free-antivirus.php
nurseangela wrote:
I can't be on this website without my Norton virus saying this site is bad. Then it wants me to update my Flash. How do I do that, and should I do that? How do I know that isn't spam? Wth! They need to get rid of the damn moving ads because that is when all of my computer problems started. Crap.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 7:06 pm

What browser are you using?

Katie0405
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2017, 7:49 pm

You can also try Panda Free Antivirus which is really good and lightweight.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 8:05 pm

If you use Linux, you wll not have to wory about having AV programs running in the background.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 8:46 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
What browser are you using?

It has happend with Microsoft Edge, Google and I leave the Firefox alone for my school. The computer just freezes up and I have to keep opening a new window. Then on my phone this damn thing comes up saying I have a virus (after being on this site) and it needs to be fixed by downloading something - probably spam crap. I can't even type a response on my Kindle Fire. It all started with these moving ads. It says it takes up too much space after the screen freezes. I don't want to download anything that is going to get in the way of my schoolwork. This site isn't worth it. Right now, my computer works fine with any other site except this one. So the problem must originate here.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 8:48 pm

Fogman wrote:
If you use Linux, you wll not have to wory about having AV programs running in the background.

I'm computer illiterate. What is Linux? And can it screw up my computer? How is Linux any different than these other big search engines (if it is a search engine)? Computers give me a pain in my butt.

AND, Aspies have said that the moving ads bother them (and me too), so why don't they cut them out?!

Darn, I flunked.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 10:12 am

step 1: install an adblocker
step 2: get a different antivirus (as stated before)
step 3: anytime anything mentiones "flash player", stay clear, that stuff is junk

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 10:18 am

nurseangela wrote:
Fogman wrote:

I'm computer illiterate. What is Linux? And can it screw up my computer? How is Linux any different than these other big search engines (if it is a search engine)? Computers give me a pain in my butt.

AND, Aspies have said that the moving ads bother them (and me too), so why don't they cut them out?!

Linux is an operation system, just as windows is one. However running Linux, instead of Windows, does not eradicate the need to run a virus scanner. There are just less viruses that target computers that run on Linux, simply because less computers run on Linux.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2017, 12:55 pm

I would use Firefox or Google Chrome for your web browser and then install Adblock Plus.

Adblock Plus for Chrome

Adblock Plus for Firefox

If you have to use Microsoft Edge and you have the Windows 10 anniversary update installed,
then there is a beta version of Adblock Plus you can try Here

Another option is using Vivaldi as your web browser and teaming that up with uBlock Origin for
Ad blocking.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 9:57 pm

Sigbold wrote:
Linux is an operation system, just as windows is one. However running Linux, instead of Windows, does not eradicate the need to run a virus scanner. There are just less viruses that target computers that run on Linux, simply because less computers run on Linux.

Linux (Mint or Ubuntu) is safer than Windows for a number of reasons:

- the installation/removal of all software is password protected as well as any actions that can potentially harm your system
- 99.9% of all the software you'll ever need is available from the software repository where everything is tested and approved before inclusion
- all updates are fully disclosed and installed or ignored at the user's discretion and convenience
- the user control ethos that Linux fosters teaches people how to use a computer and exposes Windows for the bloated and confused mess it really is