Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

AndreaLL
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2017, 10:48 pm

As an ASD parent raising two neurotypical (but odd) and one ASD child, I sometimes worry about experiences that they're missing out on because of my own limitations. For example, I am completely incapable of imaginary play with my kids, and I have a serious sound sensitivity so music is simply not part of our lives. We can't go anywhere that's crowded. I try to find ways to get around these things, but I worry about what they're missing out on.

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2017, 12:45 pm

I think they will be okay. When they grow up it might be weird telling their friends that they can't have music in the house or something, but honestly, kids "suffer" much worse things than this. A lot of people don't like crowds, not just ASD.

If their are other people in their lives, NT parent, grandparents, aunts, etc then they can hang out with them some as they get older. If your kids go to school they will experience music and crowds there.

Just do the best you can. It's all any of us can do. And I know that's not a good enough answer, and it won't stop you from worrying, but really, what more can you do? Worry about your kids and love them.