I would love to give radio a shot. Any hints?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HenryGramer
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2017, 4:25 pm

AngelRho wrote:
HenryGramer wrote:
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Kinda frozen and am not sure what to do at this point. I mean I seriously need a full-time job/career to keep s**t going money-wibe onse while being able to DJ and do my thing. I know I'm starting late but I seriously don't care as DJing and learning production gets me less lost in the "career-seeking" process. I'm grasping hairs here because my family is pushing me to get a career like ASAP and all I can think of is something in music and at this point, anyway to stay around music and not be broke. Mind you, I am broke as f**k right now and need to get my s**t together. At least that will raise my self-esteem better with all this BS going on in my life.

Seriously, what other jobs are there that I can work that is in music where I can continue to DJ and such. I'm currently DJing for a crew but I know that with how they are doing promotions (not so much to be honest), it's a ship that is going to sink very fast for me. I'm impatient and I need answers ASAP.

I'm giving very serious thought to doing this:
https://www.masterclass.com/classes/dea ... production

I want to do both that one and the one with Hans Zimmer. I'm already about to take a for-credit class with Ben Newhouse (the Disney DVD guy). If you're broke, that won't help much, but surely you can scrounge up $90 for the Deadmau5 masterclass.

Music licensing is an impressively lucrative business. I've got some work I want to finish up, a fusion of ambient and symphonic music, but my real gift is in horror and sound design--ironic since I'm adamant about my faith and active in church. Prior to getting into worship music, I was really on fire for modernist music. I still have a taste for postmodern art and music. I've been a HUGE fan of Krautrock, New Age and spacemusic since my early teens. So I'm thinking of going back to sound design rather than what we conventionally think of as "music."

Speaking of which, I'll be glad to get you started with sound design. I learned it with Reason and Absynth. I used to work on my Synclavier before electrical problems forced me to shut it down. The plugin just came out last year, and I love, love, LOVE it. Reason is deprecated with the latest OSX on Mac and I'm in no hurry to upgrade. But for sound design these days, you need only know two names: Logic Pro X, and Alchemy. Alchemy is slow going, but I'm already in love. Once I get these current projects out of the way, I'm going all Alchemy, MAYBE Sculpture, and maybe even Reaktor. My dream rig includes Max/MSP and Kyma, but a fully loaded Mac Pro with VSL takes priority once I start getting real money.

Just some things to think about.

Thanks for the advice and the heads up. I messaged you, lets talk a bit more via PM or something.

ND score: 131/200
NT score: 58/200

Says I'm Aspie...

Please don't type of paragraphs in response to my questions or replies because that will overwhelm my mind and make me not want to read your responses.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Mar 2017, 12:42 am

I was listening to the radio a year ago & a caller mentioned how they wanted to get a job in radio 1ce they graduated college & were thinking of majoring in radio. The way the DJ said she got the job was by going to the station & telling them that she really wanted to work there & she'd start however they want her to start & she'd even clean floors just to get hired there. She gradually worked her way up after she got hired to eventually becoming a DJ

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition