Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Rubberducky
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2017, 11:40 pm

I've been off my meds since 2011. Lately I've noticed outs been harder to cope. Any help out there?

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 11:54 pm

Perhaps better than being on some meds that make you worse? Have you joined because you are the on autism spectrum? Do you have a med provider whom you know and trust and who can help you decide if going back on meds would be the right course at this time? I've been hitting dead ends with medication for a long time now. But recently I switched to a psychiatric nurse practitioner who is at my autism center where I go for therapy. He started me on risperidone which has been a very good change for me.

Rubberducky
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2017, 11:57 pm

I have high functioning aspergers and recurring depression (whatever that means). I'm more scared of pills than anything tbh.

pretentious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2017, 12:45 am

I'm undiagnosed. If you asked me, I think I have slight autism and occasional depression. I know people that are on depression meds and I'd rather ride waves than deal with doctors tbh. That's just my 2 cents. Haven't really looked at options or anything

questor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 9:54 am

Good coping methods:

> Get plenty of rest.
> Eat mostly healthy foods, and enough of it, without over eating.
> Take B Vitamins. They are supposed to help with mood problems.
> Get some moderate exercise.
> Play nice music, but not too loud.
> Read interesting books.
> Watch funny TV shows and movies.
> Find things to do to keep yourself occupied when at home.
> Find stuff to do to keep yourself occupied away from home when you want to get out of the house, such as:

+ Join a charity group
+ Join a local theater group
+ Join a club
+ Take up a hobby
+ Take courses online or in person
+ Get involved in community stuff, like running for local office, or helping those in office.

You can probably come up with some other ideas on your own. The point of this is, that by keeping yourself occupied, it gives you less time to focus on whatever is depressing you, and eventually, the depression may fade away on it's own.

I have suffered from life-long chronic depression, but choose not to use drugs to treat it. I also don't like talk therapy. I've tried it and hated it. I prefer to use some of the coping methods I listed above, and they do help me.

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Apr 2017, 10:02 pm

questor wrote:
Good coping methods:

> Get plenty of rest.
> Eat mostly healthy foods, and enough of it, without over eating.
> Take B Vitamins. They are supposed to help with mood problems.
> Get some moderate exercise.
> Play nice music, but not too loud.
> Read interesting books.
> Watch funny TV shows and movies.
> Find things to do to keep yourself occupied when at home.
> Find stuff to do to keep yourself occupied away from home when you want to get out of the house, such as:

+ Join a charity group
+ Join a local theater group
+ Join a club
+ Take up a hobby
+ Take courses online or in person
+ Get involved in community stuff, like running for local office, or helping those in office.

You can probably come up with some other ideas on your own. The point of this is, that by keeping yourself occupied, it gives you less time to focus on whatever is depressing you, and eventually, the depression may fade away on it's own.

I have suffered from life-long chronic depression, but choose not to use drugs to treat it. I also don't like talk therapy. I've tried it and hated it. I prefer to use some of the coping methods I listed above, and they do help me.

Great post.

- laugh
- watch the sunrise
- do something for someone else
- practice random act of kindness