Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2017, 5:52 pm

Our families, teachers, professors, and employers seem to expect way too much out of us. We are expected to go to school, find a job, and find a purpose. Everyone expects everything to be perfect, or close to it. You have do something somebody else's way or it is wrong. As you grow and get older, more seems to be expected of you. Not all of us grow and mature at the same level as others. Not all of us are meant for college or have something that we are passionate about. Not all of us have organizational skills, structure, or the proper social skills in order to succeed. Just doing something or trying isn't enough, you have to do it right or it is all wrong. I'm tired of this mentality that everyone expects us to be perfect or know how to do certain things.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 6:35 pm

All you need to know is that this world or at least the Western-cultures are NOT sane...

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 9:42 pm

Civilized society was designed to benefit the few at the expense of the many. We are expected to follow rules and live up to expectations because that is how we create the benefits that the powerful get from us.

Some of our peers—the people who care about us—push us to follow the rules and live up to expectations because they know we will suffer if we do not.

Other peers have internalized the values that the powerful use to maintain power, and expect us to follow the rules and live up to expectations as a reflection of this adopted value system.

Yet others simply rely on us to do our job in the giant factory of society so that they can survive or do theirs.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2017, 11:13 pm

I share your frustration.

I did well academically, but securing employment that lasts much longer than about a year ... well, I'm 32, and it hasn't happened yet.

I recently made posts about how substitute teaching was going nicely. Well, one obnoxious student, and one meltdown, and one horribly unsuccessful conversation with my employer about the whole thing ... and I threw in the towel yesterday. They expect me to be calm when a student has made me very upset. That's hard enough to expect of an NT, let alone an Aspy. I had some successful times subbing, but there's always one disastrous experience that ruins everything and leads me to either get fired or quit from a district.

Same thing happens when I do direct support work (the other job I've had on and off since 2012 and 2013). Things will be nice for awhile...but then a conflict occurs, and I blow up, and I get uncompromising...and BAM.

I've left only two jobs on completely good terms. The rest...there's always something that goes horribly wrong, eventually, and I just can't cope anymore.

Can't deal with conflict the way NTs do. Can't read the social cues or respond appropriately. I lose it and crap hits the fan and the fan blows it everywhere, and it's done.

Thankfully my husband loves me. I do well at the wife thing. Just not employment.