25 Feb 2017, 12:14 pm

iliketrees wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
PatrickJane wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
PatrickJane wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
PatrickJane wrote:
I dislike it. I find the term rather stupid and pointless.

Stupid and pointless as compared to what other term?

Person with Asperger's.

So uttering seven syllables when you can just say two syllables is NOT "stupid and pointless"?

Thats interesting.

It isn't. Why would anyone need such a term when a perfectly functional description is already in existence?

Thats exactly the point. There is no alternative to "aspie" that is "functional".

"Person with aspergers" is so long winded and unwieldy that it is obviously anything but "functional".

However you could argue that "person with aspergers" could be turned into the acronym "PWA" that in text (but not in speech) would be as functional as "aspie". Though "PWA" sounds like it came "straight outta Compton"(that you're a rival band to Dre and NWA). Lol!

"He has Asperger's" and "he is an aspie" have the same number of syllables - is that not functional?

Hardly.

First off:in real offline life you would not say "he is an aspie". You would say "he's an aspie" which has one fewer syllable.

Second: in a sizable text post, or in a long conversation, about persons with aspergers in which you have to repeatedly refer to the folks in questions it is obviously more functional to say "aspies" then to keep saying "person with aspergers" over and over again.

We dont call "people from the United States of America" "People From the United States of America". We call them "Americans".

The question is what term to use as the equivalent to "American" for "people with aspergers". The options are "aspie", or nothing.

you're saying that you hate "aspie" some much that you prefer no term at all for "person with aspergers".

Thats interesting because many folks hate the ponderous term "ass burgers" and "people with aspergers" just prolongs the agony. "Aspie" shortens the agony of having to hear/say it. But for some reason the shorter way of saying it even more agonizing to you. To each is own.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 12:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Thats interesting because many folks hate the ponderous term "ass burgers" and "people with aspergers" just prolongs the agony. "Aspie" shortens the agony of having to hear/say it. But for some reason the shorter way of saying it even more agonizing to you. To each is own.

You could pronounce it either the German way or the soft "g" way to get around the "ass burgers" thing - I've not heard that outside of that (funny) south park episode so it doesn't bother me. You could also drop the old term and use "autism" instead.

Quote:
We dont call "people from the United States of America" "People From the United States of America". We call them "Americans".

Well...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for ... s_citizens

It's that "-ie" ending. I guess the closest would be "Yankee".

palmtoka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2017, 12:44 pm

To be honest, I find the term 'aspie' discriminatory to some degree.
Calling someone an 'aspie' has different connotations, compared to calling them 'people with Asperger's (syndrome)'.