So I thought Trump was leaving marijuana up to the states...

Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 3:10 am

Well based on a lot of articles I've been seeing on my facebook feed, this is not so much the case. Granted the feds admit they don't have the manpower or resources to effectively stop states legalizing marijuana and creating marijuana industries, but that doesn't mean they can't still fight it tooth and nail. Apparently marijuana legalization will exaberate the 'opiate epidemic' in this country...is their reason why they want to fight it, a load of B.S but whatever.

So what happened to 'leave it up to the states', making motions to have the feds crack down on recreational marijuana doesn't sound like leaving it up to the states to me. Hey, mr. trump and/or sessions America wants legal marijuana so f**k right off.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 8:08 am

If its true, then it is a load of bull. They don't have a problem deferring to states on issues such as abortion access and LBGT rights.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 8:30 am

I think he is trying to appeal to his "jobs for every American" base. Employers can't hire people who fail drug tests.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 8:37 am

Let's just tax and legalize it. Trump could decrease the deficit (not get rid of it) if he legalized pot.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 10:21 am

BTDT wrote:
I think he is trying to appeal to his "jobs for every American" base. Employers can't hire people who fail drug tests.

Many employers don't give them. Weed is no different from booze, with regard to work competence.

There will be no consistency here. This new drug war will be waged strictly against Trump's enemies, and whoever his base wants to see hurt. Seeing their enemies get hurt is the only reason to support Trump, for people with a realistic view of what he can actually accomplish. Once he fails to bring jobs back, harming "the other" will be all he has left. Sadly, it will probably be enough.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 12:30 pm

http://www.businessinsider.com/marijuan ... aws-2017-2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 12:49 pm

BTDT wrote:

Some places don't even bother with drug tests, I have heard some have removed marijuana from drugs they test for...and that aside pre-employment drug tests are just another wasteful drug war policy. I'd be for removing such drug tests altogether actually.

Fighting legal cannabis would be contrary to 'jobs for every American' actually, since it brings in tons of revenue and creates lots of jobs.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 1:38 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
BTDT wrote:

Some places don't even bother with drug tests, I have heard some have removed marijuana from drugs they test for...and that aside pre-employment drug tests are just another wasteful drug war policy. I'd be for removing such drug tests altogether actually.

Fighting legal cannabis would be contrary to 'jobs for every American' actually, since it brings in tons of revenue and creates lots of jobs.

Yeah imo drug tests in work are only necessary if you believe someone is on the clock and under the influence of drugs.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Feb 2017, 3:44 pm

I don't see there being much difference in policy from this administration from the last on the issue, it won't be resolved as long federal drugs laws still classify marijuana as a Schedule I drug in direct conflict with the laws of a lot of states. Is this something the courts should decide? I do think federal drugs laws are unconstitutional but I also do not have a lot of confidence in federal courts in limiting the authority of the federal government. Eventually congress or the courts have to make a decision tho, I support states rights and I think that is ultimately what will win out in the end since it is beyond the power of the federal government to actually enforce.

Connecting it to the opioid epidemic is ridiculous and I would look very carefully at who is promoting that, the pharmaceutical companies are shameless in promoting their interests and even going as far to straight up lie & say the opposite of what is the actual truth. Regulate and tax it, that is the superior solution to all things to leaving it in the hands of the criminal black market.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 4:05 pm

Do you think it's some sort of backhanded way to throw non-whites in jail? Wasn't the whole premise of the War on Drugs?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 4:22 pm

I don't care if they make marijuana legal (so people who need the drug for illnesses such as cancer have no problem getting it - cards are available for that though) , but I don't want to be working around anyone who has been smoking it. I hope employers will start drug testing for it.

In school, right now we are studying about how we conduct ourselves outside of the workplace can get our nursing license stripped from us - alcohol, misdemeanor driving offenses, etc. - all have to be reported to the Nursing Board. Why should any other professional jobs be any different?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 4:31 pm

nurseangela wrote:
I don't care if they make marijuana legal (so people who need the drug for illnesses such as cancer have no problem getting it - cards are available for that though) , but I don't want to be working around anyone who has been smoking it. I hope employers will start drug testing for it.

In school, right now we are studying about how we conduct ourselves outside of the workplace can get our nursing license stripped from us - alcohol, misdemeanor driving offenses, etc. - all have to be reported to the Nursing Board. Why should any other professional jobs be any different?

I also agree with medical marijuana.

And I know for a fact that in many instances, those who work in a STEM industry (science, technology, engineering, math) must pass a drug screen as part of a background check before starting work. Nice to know the people I'm working with are sober enough to concentrate on the job ... because in my case, it does in fact deal with rocket science. 8)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 5:47 pm

Trump looks at it from the point of a business owner. He simply makes a "gut decision" on whether he should test his employees for drug use. He doesn't care what the employees think.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 6:08 pm

Misslizard wrote:
http://www.businessinsider.com/marijuana-investors-unnerved-by-trump-comments-on-enforcing-weed-laws-2017-2

It wont let me read it...says I have to pay a dollar or turn of ad-blocker, I clicked the thing to turn it off for that site but that didn't work.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 6:14 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I don't see there being much difference in policy from this administration from the last on the issue, it won't be resolved as long federal drugs laws still classify marijuana as a Schedule I drug in direct conflict with the laws of a lot of states. Is this something the courts should decide? I do think federal drugs laws are unconstitutional but I also do not have a lot of confidence in federal courts in limiting the authority of the federal government. Eventually congress or the courts have to make a decision tho, I support states rights and I think that is ultimately what will win out in the end since it is beyond the power of the federal government to actually enforce.

Connecting it to the opioid epidemic is ridiculous and I would look very carefully at who is promoting that, the pharmaceutical companies are shameless in promoting their interests and even going as far to straight up lie & say the opposite of what is the actual truth. Regulate and tax it, that is the superior solution to all things to leaving it in the hands of the criminal black market.

Under the last administration they made a point not to really use resources to enforce federal policy against states who have legalized or are moving to legalize sort of a non-interference policy. Under this administration it sounds like they do want to use resources to enforce federal policy against states.

Also it is is Trumps administration who has connected it to the opiate epidemic, they are the ones spreading that mis-truth about.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 6:31 pm

nurseangela wrote:

When it comes to cannabis it will show up in a drug test for up to 30 days, so drug testing isn't even an effective way to determine if one is getting high on the job or not. A much better indicator would be if they smell like they just smoked a bong, their eyes are red and they seem stoned.

Can you go have a few beers on the weekend, or enjoy a few glasses of wine with dinner if you choose without risking your career as a nurse? If so why shouldn't someone be able to consume cannabis on their own time without risking their career?