Department of Rehab wasn't much help. What next???

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

HenryGramer
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2017, 7:13 am

Earlier today, my case was closed after I disclosed with my counselor that I got fired from my job this week after 2 weeks into the job for falling asleep during the job as well as being on my laptop and doing music-related stuff just to stay awake as I was shadowing someone during my overnight shifts. My counselor then goes on to tell me that I might have a sleep hygene issue and that I should seriously seek counseling (if only counseling sessions were cheap...) and then tells me that I am not job ready and that was why she decided to close my case unless I can prove to her via letter that I can last in a job for 3+ months..

Anyway, enough ranting and s**t. As of right now, my source(s) of income is from a job where I work 4 hours a week with a down syndrome/mentally ret*d client (same s**t but whatever) and doing lyft/uber. I have a car payment (with the help of my folks getting a great rate on the payment 0% APR) and would love to start stacking bills to feel more confident and stuff.

- Should I even bother looking for a job since I was told that I'm not "job-ready" after being fired twice this year already?
- I've been looking into radio broadcasting or something on that level. Should I pursue it now or wait until I'm "job-ready"?

ND score: 131/200
NT score: 58/200

Says I'm Aspie...

Please don't type of paragraphs in response to my questions or replies because that will overwhelm my mind and make me not want to read your responses.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 8:10 am

The music industry is tough because "networking" is a big deal. People get the job because someone they know put a really good word in for them. And, just because you know the right people doesn't mean that they will be able to put in your name when there is an opening. They can't really put your name in over and over again, so there is a lot of luck to it, even in the best circumstances. So, if you do get a chance, it is likely you won't get another one. Aspies are at a disadvantage because we don't have big social networks.

There is one exception in the broadcasting industry. They do need people who can fix stuff, now!

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 12:31 pm

The rehab counselor overreacted; falling asleep during a recently acquired night job, is very common. You clearly couldn’t adapt to the shift schedule and the job wasn’t a good fit… The counselor should have considered a day job or something not sitting at a desk, if at night.

HenryGramer
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2017, 2:28 pm

BTDT wrote:
The music industry is tough because "networking" is a big deal. People get the job because someone they know put a really good word in for them. And, just because you know the right people doesn't mean that they will be able to put in your name when there is an opening. They can't really put your name in over and over again, so there is a lot of luck to it, even in the best circumstances. So, if you do get a chance, it is likely you won't get another one. Aspies are at a disadvantage because we don't have big social networks.

There is one exception in the broadcasting industry. They do need people who can fix stuff, now!

Okay... How do I overcome the disadvantages that you are mentioning? I've been sending out resumes and been asking folks to put in a good word for me. I seriously don't know what else to do.

Says I'm Aspie...

Please don't type of paragraphs in response to my questions or replies because that will overwhelm my mind and make me not want to read your responses.

HenryGramer
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2017, 2:30 pm

SH90 wrote:
The rehab counselor overreacted; falling asleep during a recently acquired night job, is very common. You clearly couldn’t adapt to the shift schedule and the job wasn’t a good fit… The counselor should have considered a day job or something not sitting at a desk, if at night.

Given that I need a lot of help getting a job that would make me happy and keeping the damn f*****g job, are there ways to get a job counselor that can help me with my Aspergers? So f*****g hard to get any type of help so that I can succeed as an asset to society.

Says I'm Aspie...

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 8:24 am

These days you often need a job to get a job. Companies avoid hiring the unemployed. They prefer to hire people who have jobs. What you may need to do is to start off with a crap job and stick with it until you can get a job closer to what you want. Such as a lateral move to another crap job in the company that has the job you really want. You may then be able to apply for that job from within the company, where your chances of getting it are vastly improved, assuming that you don't do crappy work just because you are doing a crap job. If you do crappy work they will assume you are unqualified for better work.

HenryGramer
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2017, 3:17 pm

BTDT wrote:
These days you often need a job to get a job. Companies avoid hiring the unemployed. They prefer to hire people who have jobs. What you may need to do is to start off with a crap job and stick with it until you can get a job closer to what you want. Such as a lateral move to another crap job in the company that has the job you really want. You may then be able to apply for that job from within the company, where your chances of getting it are vastly improved, assuming that you don't do crappy work just because you are doing a crap job. If you do crappy work they will assume you are unqualified for better work.

Yo man I already have a job working as a Lyft/Uber driver and working 4 hours a week with this down syndrome/mentally ret*d individual. Both jobs are not enough to make me sufficient financially as I do want to stack bills and such.

Says I'm Aspie...

V001
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2017, 12:44 am

Thier job is to help you be job ready. Ask to talk with their supervisor cleary that counselor
is not doing their job. Or Client Assistance Program in your state.
They sould pay for sleep hygene counseling. A job coach to help you with the
job search. Be careful the reason why they say 90 days is past that you will be on your own. Write your own individual plan for employment or IEP. A list of what you need from them to get a job.
If that takes $5,000 and it helps you get a job they sould pay. Good luck dvr can be annoying.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 1:16 am

HenryGramer wrote:

Yo man I already have a job working as a Lyft/Uber driver and working 4 hours a week with this down syndrome/mentally ret*d individual. Both jobs are not enough to make me sufficient financially as I do want to stack bills and such.

To be honest, as a previous manager… I wouldn’t consider an Uber driver experience valuable, as say someone who held a retail job. This is coming from someone who drove cabs one summer. The same would go for someone who works with and refers to someone with down syndrome, as mentally ret*d.

If you want a career as a driver, consider an CDL. Talk with the supervisor about the counselor and they may even help with the CDL.

HenryGramer
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2017, 1:13 am

SH90 wrote:
HenryGramer wrote:

To be honest, as a previous manager… I wouldn’t consider an Uber driver experience valuable, as say someone who held a retail job. This is coming from someone who drove cabs one summer. The same would go for someone who works with and refers to someone with down syndrome, as mentally ret*d.

If you want a career as a driver, consider an CDL. Talk with the supervisor about the counselor and they may even help with the CDL.

I don't really want to work those jobs anymore. Not sure I want to be a career driver.

Says I'm Aspie...