Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Alabama1898
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2017, 10:22 am

I have been on 150 mg of Zoloft for some months now and I've been fine then recently I found out my cholesterol was elevated and decided to cut off Zoloft. I saw my psychiatrist and I was put on 20 mg of Prozac I was OK for a month but then I got brain zaps, and dizziness and a spaced out feeling as though I'm seeing things foggy. I then have gotten massive daily panic attacks and vomiting always. I worry that I'm gonna die. I decided to go back in Zoloft 25 mg. Could my panic attacks amplify these symptoms? Will i ever be the same? I'm in my last semester in college before I graduate. How can I do this in this mental state I'm in?

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 3:20 pm

Alabama1898 wrote:
I have been on 150 mg of Zoloft for some months now and I've been fine then recently I found out my cholesterol was elevated and decided to cut off Zoloft. I saw my psychiatrist and I was put on 20 mg of Prozac I was OK for a month but then I got brain zaps, and dizziness and a spaced out feeling as though I'm seeing things foggy. I then have gotten massive daily panic attacks and vomiting always. I worry that I'm gonna die. I decided to go back in Zoloft 25 mg. Could my panic attacks amplify these symptoms? Will i ever be the same? I'm in my last semester in college before I graduate. How can I do this in this mental state I'm in?

I've had horrible panic attacks a few years back (when i was 13-15).
Personally what i would recommend is going back on Zoloft (dont just start taking 150mg at the same time, start with a smaller dosage), and then when you are in a "calmer" place in life (in a year or two) you can start tapering off it.
If you continue on the Zoloft you should probably speak with your doctor about healthy foods and other things you can do to lower your cholesterol (if you're worried about it).
You will be the same, it might take a while though.
If the panic attacks dont go away on their own, id recommend that you talk to your doctor about anti-anxiety meds.
I got on 25mg of ketipinor (Quetiapine), take a pill (or a half) as soon as you realise that you're gonna have a panic attack.
25mg of Quetiapine is a very small dosage. (Quetiapine is originally intended for schizophrenia, but in much bigger dosages) It shouldn't be addictive either, and it is basically impossible to overdose on it

It did make me tired as fu*k though, but did remove all anxiety I had.
After taking one i finally to feel completely anxiety free.

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2017, 11:48 pm

I was on Zoloft for a few months, but went off of it due to side effects. I was always tired, though I had 8 hours of sleep most nights. I then took it at night and that was better. Then I had what I called shaking episodes, where I would just shake randomly. It could have been caused by lack of food since it occurred before lunch time, but once I got off of it they went away. So I don't know about that.

I still get panic attacks occasionally. I had one a week ago due to mainly social anxiety but was severely impacted from my stress of grade 12 and getting into university. I suggest you try different panic attack techniques. The one that works the best for me is the distraction method. I count down by a particular number from 100 (ie 100, 97, 94, 91, etc.) in my head and that seems to work. I also just talk to people I know about random things that aren't stressing me. I do tell these people I am having a panic attack too. Maybe trying a different SSRI would help also? As I said, my shaking episodes went away once I got off Zoloft. I wish you luck in college :)

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 12:23 am

Alabama1898 wrote:

Stating the obvious. Zoloft was working for you. Prozac is not. All drugs have side effects. You have to decide if the side effects are worth the benefits. Also panic attacks can be dealt with by means other then medication. A good therapist could help you find non-drug solutions to your panic attacks.