Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2017, 4:01 pm

I always wear the same style & colour of shirt and trousers.

It is hard for me to have the confidence to wear something I don't normally wear.

I find it uncomfortable [to be seen] to change what I am wearing during the day to reflect the current weather conditions. [particularly going from warm to hot weather; i.e. removing layers].

Do these statements ring true with anyone else?

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 4:48 pm

I have outside clothes and clothes I keep specifically for wearing indoors. The latter are basically demoted, old variations of the former and not really fit to be seen in public anyway. For this reason I don't feel very comfortable if I'm still in my outside clothes while in the house. As it is with my relationship regarding makeup I have to wash that crap off asap and change my clothes as a priority, or I won't relax.

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2017, 8:00 pm

I tend to cycle through favourite outfits though this hasn't been a conscious decision so much as something that has just happened.

For a long time now I've worn leggings with one of a few plaid patterned shirts (my red one is my favourite though!)

I will switch things up but I'm mostly much happier not doing so. Sometimes I try a new outfit and will psychologically be uncomfortable for doing so.

I'm not sure if I can attribute this behaviour to AS or my weight as being overweight has severely affected my self esteem, self image, confidence, and options. Not so much recently but in the past I've felt extremely self-conscious and wished I could dress and look like other, attractive, girls.

Cleve Boy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2017, 8:11 pm

I literally always wear the same style of clothes, couldn't think of wearing anything else.

Jeans, plain t-shirt and a tracksuit top.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 10:14 pm

I have no problem with being seen taking off my jacket in public when it's hot or putting it on when it's cold.

I prefer to wear polo shirts and button downs with jeans and nothing feminine except for some jewellery.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

webster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2017, 1:45 am

I've got "outside" clothes for the pub or seeing mates and then my inside clothes which I would not wear out because they look like rubbish and I often wear the same ones for a couple weeks a time, gotta be nice comfy ones for inside though. To be honest I struggle with my appearance or more struggle with caring what I look like, It's only from people moaning at me that I take any pride in it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 2:19 am

I typically wear metal t-shirts with jeans, cut off jeans or my pair of camouflage cargo pants that are falling apart and either need replaced or repaired...as well as my doc martin boots, which I got in the past year probably my favorite shoes I've ever had. I was going to get black ones but it took me a while to find any I could afford and the store didn't have black in stock but they had a reddish color so I got those.

I sometimes try and dress a bit different from that, but that is my typical clothing. I have a lot of black clothes but for some reason it has always been hard for me to find black pants so I have various colors of pants including a red pair, reddish pair with snakeskin print and some blue and green ones with the kind of design you might see on the shirts of early Pink Floyd. I do have a couple black pairs, one is like a size too big so I use those for in the winter since I can easily fit another layer under them.

Around the house and if I just have to go somewhere quick and come back I'll just stick with pajama pants and a t-shirt, and sweater or jacket if it's cold.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 2:39 am

I find clothes awkward. I wear the same shorts and 2 t shirts at home all the time, and smart clothes at work. Have 1 pair of jeans and maybe 4 tops for going out.

Hate taking off jumper or jacket when out. Feel like I have got used to what I am in and taking something off starts that over again.

Also find tops uncomfortable. Collars in particular.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 4:58 am

Yup. I wear loose collared button-down shirts and soft jeans. If it's extremely hot, in some circumstances I may wear a button-down and shorts. If extremely cold, add a coat.
Am in the middle of overhauling clothing system in preparation for living in the wild. This must be very specific and items must be high quality (read - expensive) and minimal to carry. Items must have multiple uses. It's going to be a vast departure from my settled idea of what clothing means and does.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 7:50 am

I used to be like this when I was a teen. After changing my clothes more and more I started to enjoy it now I wear a different outfit every day if I'm leaving the house.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 4:51 pm

I stay in my pajamas when I'm home, I don't know why I stay in my pajamas, I used to get dressed.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 5:41 pm

I'm in the process of changing the style of clothes I wear.

For years, it was basically t-shirt and shorts in the summer and t-shirt and either jeans or bib overalls in the winter.

But times are changing. My thyroid quit working about two years ago. The earliest signs were a major increase in pains and a drop in body temperature. After more than a year of taking thyroxin pills daily, the pains have mostly disappeared, but my body temperature is still low.

One day when it was 28 F outside, I put on a heavy coat and was driving a pickup out to a feedlot. About a mile after I left the office, I took my temperature and it was 92.5 F. As the pickup warmed up, by the time I got to the feedlot, it was back up to about 97 F. This past fall, I was out doing some work in 69 F temperatures without a coat on for about half an hour and my body temperature fell to 93.7 F.

Any more, it is very uncomfortable for me to be in a building with the air conditioner turned down much. I'm already feeling cold by the time the temperature falls to 78 F.

This calls for a major change in attire. First, I'm going to wearing jeans year round.

For the winter, I went to wearing long sleeved flannel shirts. They are far more comfortable than the t-shirts. I used to wear Pendleton wool shirts in the 1970s and 1980s, but they are now kind of tight. Also, some of them got some insect damage and ave holes in them. Now they are close to $100 apiece and so I'm not inclined to buy more anyway. Also, they need to go to the cleaners instead of being washed. For me, that's a 70 mile round trip to drop them off at a cleaners and another 70 mile round trip to pick them up.

For the summer, it will be a light shirt with a jacket and jeans. Obviously, the normal sports jackets doesn't go well with jeans. Plus, where I live, I'd feel really out of place going around in suit and tie most of the time -- suits and ties here are for weddings, funerals, and occasional Sunday church services (most people don't wear suits and ties to church around here anymore). Furthermore, suits and ties are expensive. They also need to be cleaned.

So what I'm going toward is wearing western style shirts (i have a few but will have to buy more) Some will be ordinary shirts and some more on the order of dress shirts so that they go with a western frock coat better. Obviously, with a bolo tie as well.

I wore a hat for much of my younger years, especially in college, but haven't worn one very often in the last thirty years. My preference is a Stetson "Open Road", but don't have one. My dad had a similar hat so I may go find it and see if it will fit me. If it does, I'll wear it.

If you don't know what a Stetson Open Road hat looks like, take a look at the easy to find pictures of Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald. The detective in the light colored suit to Oswald's right is wearing a hat that could easily be a Stetson Open Road.

So this should work fine for both every day wear and for being somewhat dressed up for more formal occasions such as weddings and funerals. And it should help me tolerate stores and restaurants that keep the temperatures too low with their air conditioners.

I almost forgot. Also a good overcoat for when it is raining or is cold. I used to have a hand me down overcoat in the 70s that I really liked. It was probably 20 years old then. I don't know whatever happened to it, but it was great.

Most overcoats these days seem to go down to maybe mid thigh. The older ones would go down almost to the ankles. The reason for the change is that people are more likely to drive than to walk and so didn't need as much to keep their pants legs dry as they used to need.

My old overcoat went down nearly to my ankles. When it was pouring down rain. about the only part of my pants that would get wet would be the last inch or so. It's difficult to find the older overcoats, but they are around.

One option is a western style overcoat known as a "duster".

I remember one time when it was pouring down rain and I needed to go to the local convenience store. At the time I was living in a house behind the convenience store and the convenience store was behind the most popular bar in the area. Many people going to and from the bar would cut across the side of the convenience store and by my house to get to their cars.

So this one night in the rain, I was wearing that old overcoat and my old flat brimmed black hat. I also had a very full beard at the time. As I came around the back corner of the convenience store, I nearly collided with someone cutting across from the bar. The way he reacted when he saw me, I think I may have given him a bit of a scare.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2017, 10:10 am

Clothes are maybe 70% black, and the rest are variations of films/characters I like.