Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 8:01 pm

I do all the time, and it's really annoying. I'm always proud of myself if I go to the theater and haven't shed a tear by the time I leave. I cried when watching We Bought a Zoo, for goodness' sake :roll: I'm always very embarrassed by it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 8:15 pm

anybody else here ever watch the uncut version of "a muppet xmas carol" with the sad duet scene between scrooge and belle?

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 8:59 pm

They do sometimes. It's kind of a recent thing for me, for a movie to make me laugh or cry. But they do now, and I'm pretty happy about that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 9:01 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
They do sometimes. It's kind of a recent thing for me, for a movie to make me laugh or cry. But they do now, and I'm pretty happy about that.
\
if you don't mind me asking, why does it make you happy?

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 1:51 pm

It's difficult to pinpoint, really. Kind of a generalization, but I feel something, and am experiencing what I feel is the correct response to the situation. And I wasn't always able to do that before. It's like a connection was made. Before I would watch funny movies, but I would rarely laugh, or even recognize the jokes. Watch a sad movie, but be unmoved. I would understand, this is funny, this is happy, this is sad, etc. But would have almost no response.
One of my girlfriends hated it! "How can you not find that funny!? Why aren't you laughing?! We can't even watch movies together."
I went through a movie watching phase for a couple of years. Usually at least one per day, often two or three per day for maybe three years.
And at some point something must have clicked. Now movies make me laugh and cry, sometimes. It still doesn't seem to be as easy to get a response out of me as it seems to be for other people, but some things started to change.
And for lack of a better word, that makes me happy.

(I even found a character that I really relate to!)

Plenty of the time it's still kind of a bland analytical procedure for me. I found at some point that watching movies seemed like it helped me understand social interaction a little better. It's literally watching a group of paid professionals act like a specific thing together, and some of it seems transferrable. People do look like that and act like that with each other in real life sometimes.
So that's at least part of an answer, that may not be the best possible explanation.
Something like that, anyway.

Although, for different reasons (maybe), action movies have always given me an adrenaline response, and that isn't nearly as strong anymore. And I've never been able to watch horror or gory movies. I really can't handle it with them.
It's almost like the extreme response has been available, but the subtlety was not. Which I guess kind of makes sense.
Anyway, I get carried away.

AspieOutlaw89
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2017, 2:01 pm

The Rocky Series.the ending of Rocky II where Rocky Knocked Out Apollo in the 15th Round reminded me of my Ex-Girlfriend because in MMA,this is something i would've done for her :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 1:30 am

I cried at the end of Forrest Gump. I could relate to the character. A young boy who didn't have many friends. There were a lot of things that I could relate to. I liked how he told his life story to the other passenger who was also waiting for the bus.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 1:36 am

"the heart is a lonely hunter" is about as much a downer movie, as any I've seen.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Nov 2017, 3:39 am

I think movies made me cry when I was depressed because they reminded me of things in my life that I was depressed about which was usually my ex girlfriend

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 12:32 am

another downer movie, "my sweet Charlie" :|

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 1:39 am

Yeah, TV series and movies (and books) where animals are injured, mistreated, lost or die, have always made me tear up. Lassie is an excellent example.

Pure sad moments used to be the only ones that made my eyes water, but over the last decade it has also happened when I find it moving.

We're talking lump in the throat and some tears running, not sobbing.

It's a rare thing for me to moved or saddened by people related things, but one recent movie that did so for me was The Great Gilly Hopkins. I saw the movie on Netflix the other day and even though the ending wasn't entirely true to the story (Hollywood can't take an unhappy ending after all), it was still very good, The radio play and the book made a significant impression on me when I was in upper elementary school.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 1:44 am

in the movie "Oklahoma crude" there was this recurring theme song, "send a little love my way," that was just SOoooooo sentimental, sad and sweet...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 10:07 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I cried at the end of Forrest Gump. I could relate to the character. A young boy who didn't have many friends. There were a lot of things that I could relate to. I liked how he told his life story to the other passenger who was also waiting for the bus.

That bus must have been rather late, for him to have enough time to tell such a long story. Though if I recall there were certainly some scenes in that that had me teary eyed.