Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

startspreading
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2017, 6:07 pm

Hi! I'd like to know of my fellow Aspies if movies make you cry. Because they never do with me. I'd watch movies every day if I could, and I can't think of one that has made me cry. No Titanic, no The Fault in Our Stars, not even Schindler's List. I can be moved and shocked by a film, but never come to tears.
Is it just me or maybe it is an Asperger's thing?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Mar 2017, 8:00 pm

Movies & TV never did until I developed depression. I felt like crying alot when I was depressed & even thou I'm no longer depressed I'm more sensitive than I used to be . My eyes can get teary eyed during shows & movies but I can manage it enough not to cry.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

FragMichNichtWiesMirGeht
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Mar 2017, 4:42 am

They can, actually, but not the ones you'd usually expect. They're not big, tragic tearjerkers but they are hugely poignant. And they happen to be my top four favourites.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly has at least three genuine tearjerker moments for me. One is where the protagonist, Tuco, the so-called "Ugly", finds out about the deaths of his parents and gets into a fight with his brother; one is where he gets beaten by a nasty soldier courtesy of "The Bad". And the third is where he's forced to stand on a cross with a noose around his neck and is screaming for mercy. Even though I know he lives, the scene is still really suspenseful and I start sobbing madly, every time.

Seven Samurai has a few as well. The scene where Kikuchiyo slams the farmers and the samurai. But that's more out of empathy for him. And another moment where he tells Kambei that his family was killed by bandits, just like the child he was holding. And then he gets jealous of Kyuzo, and as he tries to prove himself, he gets several of his allies killed in the process.

The Host has the scene where Gang-du loses it in front of two doctors when they ask him why he didn't tell the authorities that his daughter was alive. There's also the moment where his father Hee-bong tries to defend his son in front of his siblings. The desperation in his voice is really powerful.

High Noon has a moment that gets me choked up, when Marshal Kane's last deputy deserts him and he collapses onto his desk in rage and despair.

It's not one of my top movies, but there's a scene in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey that got me quite a bit, when it seemed like Bilbo was lost forever in the mountains as he and the dwarves were crossing them.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 11:44 am

Marley and Me (Don't think I could ever watch that again)

Toy Story 3 (I did use to cry at the end before it was ruined by Doug Walker's Disneycember review but I did cry a little when they returned home and Woody says to Buzz "This isn't goodbye".

Bolt (When Bolt sees Penny with the other Bolt, drops the carrot and walks away)

Forest Gump (Not when his mother or Jenny passed away, but when Lt. Dan arrives arrives at his wedding walking)

There are others but I'm just zoned out to keep typing.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2017, 7:24 pm

Several movies have made me cry, including the opening of Up where you see that marriage end with the wife's death, or when a character I grew to like dies or the end mentions that the person died if the movie is about a real person.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 7:58 pm

It has happened. "7 pounds" was one of them. Really sad story.

I remember watching the final part of "Return of the King" in the movie theatre and i felt a tear go down my cheek and suddenly i heard someone else just break down and cry and people around me were clearing out their noses - it was a very long and sad ending.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:47 pm

I did cry when I saw Titanic. Not because it was an incredible love story but because hundreds of people died unnecessarily based almost if not entirely on their social class, and it actually happened.

The end of Return of the King when Aragorn says, "My friends...you bow to no one" gets me right in the feels.

I cry more due to musical scores than I do because of the actual scene. Test Flight from How to Train Your Dragon makes me cry. The end of Dragonheart made me cry too because To The Stars is an amazing piece of music, known by many who have never even seen the movie.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 1:09 pm

I usually don't cry in movies or TV Shows because they're fake. They're not real people or characters. They're just actors or voice actors depending if it's animated or not. And you can't really form that much of a connection with a character in a 90 min movie. But I have cried in movies. Only 2 actually. And they were both dog movies since I love dogs.

1.Marley and Me
2. My Dog Skip

About TV Shows. I almost started crying when watching the Regular Show Series Finale. But that's it for me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 4:42 am

the scene [cut in most editions] in "The Muppet Christmas Carol" where young past Scrooge and Belle part ways, and when the future scrooge relives this scene and sings "when love has gone" along with the young Belle of the past, then starts crying :cry: :cry: :cry:

wachterhector
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2017, 5:39 am

Not very often but yes. The last film that made ne cry was "The light between oceans" :roll:

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 5:26 pm

I cried at the end of Marley and Me - I won't be watching this again either since I have never forgiven them for this ending.

More recently I cried at the end of Gravity. I was able to relate to her struggles as I was having some myself at the time and could see my own escape pod on the horizon.

I cried watching Madagasca too - can't remember which bit.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 12:31 am

Sometimes I do, lol...kind of embarrassing I mean much of the time I can hold the tears back, but it does take effort lol. But not movies like The Titanic with over-the-top drama and such, I always just thought it was stupid they didn't share the make-shift raft at the end as they both could have fit. I did cry at the end of Schindler's list when Schindler was upset over not having been able to save more people than he did. But a lot of times it will be things that maybe remind me of or relate to the more depressing parts of my life...even if its like in a comedy movie or a horror/thriller type movie.

But also things like the scene in LOTR where Frodo wakes up after being poisoned by that ring-wraith blade and all the other hobbits are so over-joyed especially Sam. And it was certainly hard not to cry when Ned Stark was beheaded in Game of Thrones.

I guess it's ok because apparently sometimes actors and actresses cry because of scenes they act, I imagine that is some of the best actors and actresses because it means they can literally feel what the character would be feeling.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 12:49 am

I wept a lifetime's worth of tears watching AI-Artificial Intelligence the first time. :oops: same for "The Yearling" :cry: :cry:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 11:46 am

I would say that I'm more likely to cry at something in a movie or book than in response to events in real life. It confused me for a long time that even some children's cartoons can upset me so much, yet often I feel blank if a friend were to tell me of a bereavement, for example.

I have quite severe alexithymia, so I think it must relate to that. The simplicity of the storytelling and the cues from the background music probably make the emotional content easier for me to understand. When I do cry about real life events, it is often a long time after the event, because I have to work out the emotions step-by-step without the benefit of any cues. Sometimes, it is watching a film character go through an emotion that helps me to identify what emotion I'm feeling - so sometimes if a film makes me cry, I am really crying because my own painful emotion is catching up with me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 7:54 pm

the wizard of oz always makes me weep, there is just something so emotionally primal about that movie.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 8:01 pm

I do all the time, and it's really annoying. I'm always proud of myself if I go to the theater and haven't shed a tear by the time I leave. I cried when watching We Bought a Zoo, for goodness' sake :roll: I'm always very embarrassed by it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"