I need your help because I'm not good at the female languag.

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

palmtoka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2017, 1:08 pm

Hi all, I have a question for you.
I was running into a group of three girls one day and saw them getting onto an elevator.
I was going to get on as well and realized I didn't take a shower that day, so I waited for them to go, then I took another elevator to eventually bump into them on the same floor.
I was going to get a sheet of paper and as I walked by them, one of them abruptly said 'stupidly high'.
At first, I didn't understand what she meant. It could mean either that she took me as stuck up or that the price of something that she was looking at actually was, or that I'm quite tall (around 5'10).

I'm asking for your help because I'm self-conscious and I find on the internet that female would do that to attract the attention of male, specifically that of male that they seem to like a lot.
Now that I think back, I'm still very confused what she likely implied with what she said.
I sensed their looking at me as I walked by them when I was leaving the place.

Is it just a small conversation they were having or would she be likely interested in me? What do you think?

MsV
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2017, 1:55 pm

Is it possible they were talking amongst themselves?

palmtoka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2017, 2:02 pm

MsV wrote:
Is it possible they were talking amongst themselves?

Yes, it is. The language that one of the girls used was very strong that it struck me in a weird way. 8O

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 3:11 pm

I think you're reading into it too much, sounds like you walked by and caught a bit of their conversation probalby was about pricing or maybe she was high both of those would make sense for that phrase. I have never seen someone say 'stupidly high' to mean tall or stuck up. Also if they looked at you they probably just noticed they saw you before getting on the elevator so may have recognized having previously seen you...I don't get the impression they were really even paying much attention to you in general so probably not particularly interested.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 3:17 pm

You are in Japan? Do you expect good answers from the socially awkward westerners? I have had an interest in Japan for decades, so I can see a huge number of pitfalls for me if I even tried to answer.

First, smelliness works on a different level of perception in Japan and the US, as far as I know. Also, women disliking smelly things seems like a special feminine value in Japanese popular culture, whatever that implies.

Second, and only the last on the list I'll make explicit here, translation and context mean everything.

That said, it sounds like gentle teasing to me. Make sure you smell extra nice and make an effort to take the elevator again with them soon.

palmtoka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2017, 3:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I think you're reading into it too much, sounds like you walked by and caught a bit of their conversation probalby was about pricing or maybe she was high both of those would make sense for that phrase. I have never seen someone say 'stupidly high' to mean tall or stuck up. Also if they looked at you they probably just noticed they saw you before getting on the elevator so may have recognized having previously seen you...I don't get the impression they were really even paying much attention to you in general so probably not particularly interested.

I see. Thank you.

palmtoka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2017, 3:28 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
You are in Japan? Do you expect good answers from the socially awkward westerners? I have had an interest in Japan for decades, so I can see a huge number of pitfalls for me if I even tried to answer.

First, smelliness works on a different level of perception in Japan and the US, as far as I know. Also, women disliking smelly things seems like a special feminine value in Japanese popular culture, whatever that implies.

Second, and only the last on the list I'll make explicit here, translation and context mean everything.

That said, it sounds like gentle teasing to me. Make sure you smell extra nice and make an effort to take the elevator again with them soon.

Indeed I am. I expect decent answers even from westerners even if we are culturally a lot different.
I would usually take a shower everyday and it is that day I unfortunately didn't. :?
I guess they took me not taking an elevator with them as shunning/disliking them. :cry:

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 3:32 pm

Cool. It did seem like they wanted to catch your attention. I prefer to think of people as having nicer motives, as a rule. It's also good to hear that enough cultural situations translate well.

Maybe you can use scent to communicate, somehow?

palmtoka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2017, 3:39 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Cool. It did seem like they wanted to catch your attention. I prefer to think of people as having nicer motives, as a rule. It's also good to hear that enough cultural situations translate well.

It did to me as well. I sensed their eyes on my back as I left. :D
I have seen a group of three girls elsewhere the other day around my age or slightly younger and to be humble by all means, one of them seemed to either want to have a conversation or two with me, or point me out about my face/clothes because she was constantly sending an eye signal to me. 8O

I would not usually wear perfume of any kind but wearing good scent may work well.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 5:53 pm

beady
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 10:37 pm

Maybe they were talking about themselves and being "stupidly high"? They saw you looking in their direction and worried you had overheard their conversation?

palmtoka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2017, 3:42 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

She likes it slow, eh? :oops:

palmtoka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2017, 3:45 am

beady wrote:
Maybe they were talking about themselves and being "stupidly high"? They saw you looking in their direction and worried you had overheard their conversation?

Could be. I have a tendency to take things personally and I guess this is the case. :?

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2017, 1:34 pm

I don't think she meant anything by it. 5'10" isn't that tall, and women don't usually go out of their way to catch the attention of male strangers.

palmtoka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2017, 9:43 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
I don't think she meant anything by it. 5'10" isn't that tall, and women don't usually go out of their way to catch the attention of male strangers.

Sounds like it. Thank you.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 9:50 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:

My GOODNESS!! You've been here a whole three days, and you've managed to get yourself reported, more-than-once; bossily tell members that have been here for YEARS, what the rules of this site, are; arrogantly call another member a misogynist; and NOW, you've managed to be terribly insulting to a member from JAPAN by telling him that "5'10" isn't that tall", and I'm thinking it IS, for a male in Japan!! Are you this much fun, in person?