Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 3:24 pm

Does art require a social life? Odd question, but it's one I'm currently struggling with. Last summer, I decided to get into photography. I've always liked taking pictures and the thought of getting a new camera and learning the actual process sounded very appealing. Not to mention that I decided I would take a class or two which would give me the opportunity to learn more about it as well as meet other people. Other than the money it would cost, it sounded like a win win.

Fast forward to today and I'm thinking about selling my equipment and giving it up. Perhaps if I had thought about it more and realized my life and personality problems, I would have avoided it altogether. It turns out, I like taking pictures and editing them, but after that, I have nothing to do with them. They just sit on my camera or computer and occasionally, I'll flip through them, but that's about it. Would a painter spend time and money buying supplies and learning the trade if they paint beautiful paintings and then just stash them in their closet never to be seen?

I thought photography would be something I'd enjoy doing by myself, but it turns out it's not. It's actually more depressing. I'll think about driving somewhere to do a nice landscape photoshoot, but talk myself out of it. First, I'd have to drive to the location by myself. I didn't think that would bother me initially, but I don't like going by myself. Then, if I got that far, I'd take a bunch of great pictures that I wouldn't have anything to do with so they'd just end up sitting on my camera/computer.

It just hit me hard yesterday for some reason. Maybe I'm just feeling more depressed than normal, but I just wanted to see if anyone else feels the same way.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 3:54 pm

I admit that I know little about the art of photography, and in particular, the forum in which it's presented, other than possibly art shows or magazines. Have you considered entering your pics in such an art exhibitions, or submit them to a magazine? Possibly convince local stores to sell them as wall art?

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 4:03 pm

Sorry to hear this has upset you. What you've described resonates with how I regard my own art hobby quite a bit. They often say it's the journey, not the destination, etc... and I think that's quite relevant.
When I'm working on a new piece of artwork I will be really in to it, I'll be interested in examining other artist's techniques, vocal about other's works, but when it is completely finished I take my obligatory photo of it to retain as the digital copy, work it over with an adhesivity spray, then stuff it in my art folder. I rarely look back at my physical artwork, but I like seeing the solid presence of the folder itself, knowing the time and effort that's gone into the contents. That said, if it went up in flames, I wouldn't be very upset as being the artist, I've already had my fun with them. The finished work almost feels like it's become more the property of any stranger's eyes that behold it.
The results in art don't always evoke the emotions we think they will evoke, and from long experience I feel a lot of artists are lone wolves, even street photographers often exhibit a certain detachment from their work, which I've always found ironic. The people they photograph are just the subjects, the outside world, cities and streets, their medium of choice.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 4:23 pm

Why don't you set up an instagram account so you can share your photos?

There's other sites too Flickr, 500px some charge commission though so do your research.

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2017, 2:37 pm

I have a BFA in Fine Arts with an emphasis in photography. I love art and making it but am held back as well by my autism. I experience the same issues as you with going out. Also approaching people or having anyone to take portraits of is nearly impossible for me. I've struggled for years and all but given it up. I did well in school.

However, I have read there are some groups that help autistic artists, and represent them. The only problem is then you would be known as an autistic artist. But this is a light in the dark.

It is quite easy to submit your art to shows and competitions. There are many and it's easy to get going with. The problem is developing bodies of work with the social problems we face.

Another aspect is the social life for the benefit of inspiration, tips and tricks, friends with similar interests, and having your art known and you known as an artist. It's very much a small culture of artists and people who love art. How do you approach the art world when you're scared s**tless?

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2017, 3:55 am

I'm a photographer too. :) I've never been to a class, that doesn't appeal to me, so I'm self-taught. It suits me well because I love being alone and going for long walks, then coming home and seeing if I got anything worthwhile.

Then, I post to my Carbonmade website. I've also used Flickr in the past (and will probably go back to it again), and I once had a Facebook page. The Facebook page did really well but then they started limiting my post reach. The only way to stop them was to give them money but as I'm on a low income that wasn't an option for me and I had to shut the page down. That was a bit sad because I liked that Facebook page - it gave me the chance to interact with people in a way I found comfortable.

Generally, photography seems to suit autistic people, but it's perhaps not for everyone.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 8:12 am

I think art goes pretty well with being social. Like, you're creating something, why are you creating this? Will anyone else ever see it but you? For me I create art for myself and other people. I actually find it fun when someone really likes my work and ends up having it on display for a long time because I made that and other people really appreciate something I've made and it's improving someones quality of life even just by a bit. It makes me feel better about my ability so I can make more stuff too.

I think if you're doing photography you should delve into the social media aspect of it because it definitely makes things more interesting.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 10:24 am

So Bataar are you going to set up an online photosharing account and share these photos with us. I can be the only one who wants to see them.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 11:58 pm

I have a similar issue. I like to take photos, but I don't know what to do with them (even social media doesn't work for me – I sometimes post them but I don't know how to reach people anyway) and I also feel so limited because I can't photography people, and even if I stick with other subjects I may sometimes need contact with people. For example, last year I start a project photographing inner yards but for that I needed to contact people who would allow me to enter the buildings, it was hard to do it so the projected ended quite small :/

I spent a year as an exchange student in a Fine Arts school and it seemed quite an important thing to take part in exhibitions openings and creating some bond at the artistic community and it felt quite difficult to me to integrate.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 6:02 pm

hurtloam wrote:
So Bataar are you going to set up an online photosharing account and share these photos with us. I can be the only one who wants to see them.

I've uploaded a few of them here:
https://www.eyeem.com/u/jacob_fulwiler

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 9:29 pm

Bataar wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

I've uploaded a few of them here:
https://www.eyeem.com/u/jacob_fulwiler

Granted, I'm not big on photography, but I like what I see.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 3:56 pm

I enjoyed looking through your photos. Thanks for sharing them.

I love that racoon peering down through the leaves and the ginger cat with the cheeky smile. And some beautiful waterfalls and trees.

I hope you'll keep updating your gallery

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 3:57 pm

Oh I forgot to ask. What kind of a camera do you have?

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 5:14 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Oh I forgot to ask. What kind of a camera do you have?

Those were all shot using a Canon EOS 80D. I just got a killer deal on an EOS 5D Mark IV that I'm waiting for. Looks like that will extend the hobby :)

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:13 am

I think it does help to have people to share art with, though it doesn't have to be a huge audience. We may create mainly for our own satisfaction, but still want validation from others at least occasionally. I don't think it's a reason to stop, more a reason to find some kind of outlet for your pictures that isn't too much for your social skills.

My dad used to exhibit his paintings occasionally. Now he seems content that they only get seen by himself, my mum, and visitors to their house. He puts his photography up on Deviant Art ( deviantart.com ), which I understand has a bit of social networking built in- you can "follow" people whose art you like and they can follow you. He's got a modest following on there. That might suit you- it's less full-on than feeling you need to launch a photography career!

Myself, I write music. I started out as a classical composer, then moved sideways into being a singer-songwriter partly because it was frustrating writing music that never got performed. (I'm a terrible pianist, and lack the mad networking skillz needed to promote yourself as a composer.) I'm not exactly winning fame and fortune as a songwriter either, but when I write a new song, at least I can always sing it to a few people down at the open mic. More ambitious plans are on hold- I'm having a bad couple of years for mental health. I still write piano music, most of which no-one else has ever heard.

fselzr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2017, 1:10 pm

No.