Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2017, 10:05 pm

Do you donate to political, social, religious, or other groups? If so who, how often, and how much, if you want to tell.

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2017, 10:54 pm

Mods, can this be moved to politics, philosophy, and religion?

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 12:46 pm

Mod note: Moved as requested.

On topic: I have donated to organizations working for turtles and lately for wolves too. How often and much depends on what I can afford. Neither as much nor as often as I would have liked. I wish I could donate way more to organizations doing great work for turtles, wolves and other animals, but I do what I can.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 12:51 pm

I give to the worlds poor, and also fund microloans for zero return and a risk of currency loss. I also donate to political groups. I've done it on a schedule when I had consistent income, and sporadically when my income was sporadic. Ten percent of my income seems like a good target. Some of my political activities will, I believe, do more to help the poor than giving them money, but I have also given to Give Directly, a very interesting organization.

Furthermore, I make some decisions about where I spend my money based on the political activities of those businesses. You don't have to give money to have an impact on where money gets given.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 1:20 pm

When I can afford to.Right now my car is sucking up any extra funds I have.Got a gremlin in the electrical system.Ugh,just ugh.
Amphibian Ark,Audubon,International Reptile Conservation Fund,Earth Justice,ACLU,Southern Poverty Law Center,Smile Train,Center For Biological Diversity,Humane Society,Intenational Campaign for Tibet,to the MLK monument in DC when it was being built,various disaster like Katrina,Tsunami in Japan,Earthquake in Nepal,American Legion,and Vote Vets.
I can usually afford twenty bucks a pop.One time I did donate more,it was to get signs up in St.Eustatius,Lesser Antilles to help preserve Iguana Delicatissima.
I wish I could afford to give more,especially to the lizards.
It's free to sign petitions so I do that weekly.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 1:33 pm

I too sign quite a few petitions, usually about endangered species, cruelty to animals, and the environment.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 2:23 pm

I donate to various charities. Also do Kiva loans.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 2:56 pm

I never donate. What would be the point? Some big billionaire will just donate hundreds of millions more than I so the candidate will listen to him rather than listen to me. If it's a group that cares about what I care about, chances are it'll end up just like the Tea Party.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2017, 3:02 pm

I'm a member of a political party here in the UK so I guess that may count as a donation. However, given the general uselessness of the current party leader, I may not be a member for much longer!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 4:29 pm

My whole vocation was a donation for appropriate technology. Most of my hobbies involve trying to save the world. Now that I'm on pension, I can afford to support many causes with bits of cash. Doctors without Borders is my favourite, but there's also open media, peace, equality and climate change to work on.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 10:16 pm

Charities that I have donated to:
HSUS
Wounded Warrior
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Shriners Hospitals for Children
Local charities