Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

EmilyRyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2017, 11:28 pm

Sigh I'm not sure what to do about getting employed there's not a whole lot I'm good at and I also have a learning disability meaning that learning new skills is difficult and I can't find anywhere that's willing to deal with a slow learner. On top of that I been asking around at other message boards and I get from recommendations of seeking out services to people telling me that employers/business shouldn't have to hire/accommodate those with a disability and I'm afraid that mentality is getting worse and thus gonna make it much harder for me to get and keep a job.

I just don't know to do I am gonna take the advice of seeking out employment services but I hear even they're not guaranteed to help get a job I feel doomed of being unemployed and poverty for the rest of my life :(

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 1:45 am

Me too. And I can say that I just posed a topic on this, because I have been with a disability job services office, and they do nothing. All they say is "look on Seek" and tell me to hand in evidence of jobs I've applied for.
My idea is around retraining, which may help you, too. Retrain to a much higher level, in a field where employees are actually needed, aka an area of skill shortage. Become so well trained that your value outweighs your disability. If you have learning problems it could take longer, but it's still possible.
You'd also be on student welfare, rather than unemployment, which I think would be much less depressing. It's just getting into, and affording, the training courses which are my problem.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 3:05 am

Did you look at any jobs related to accounting?

EmilyRyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2017, 10:38 pm

C2V wrote:
Me too. And I can say that I just posed a topic on this, because I have been with a disability job services office, and they do nothing. All they say is "look on Seek" and tell me to hand in evidence of jobs I've applied for.
My idea is around retraining, which may help you, too. Retrain to a much higher level, in a field where employees are actually needed, aka an area of skill shortage. Become so well trained that your value outweighs your disability. If you have learning problems it could take longer, but it's still possible.
You'd also be on student welfare, rather than unemployment, which I think would be much less depressing. It's just getting into, and affording, the training courses which are my problem.

Training I like to do for sure just don't know how to go about it and if it requires large amounts of money then that'll be a big issue for me as well. Also not sure if you live in the U.S. but if not I really don't know any job training programs here in the U.S. like you mention and if there is how do you access them??

ZachGoodwin wrote:
Did you look at any jobs related to accounting?

I tried doing accounting wasn't any good at it. Are there like any accounting jobs without actually doing accounting??

EmilyRyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2017, 6:38 pm

So now I may finally have a job lined up at Kroger (a grocery store) but I not hearing anything good about them being good with those with ASD that's making me worry that if I get the job they're gonna think my performance is poor and fire me.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 11:18 am

Not good at a whole lot? How about focusing on the limited things that you are good at and building upon those? That way you can start looking at what you can do rather than you can't. Have you thought about taking those skills and going to volunteer somewhere? That way you can learn new things as well as old along with exposing yourself to new things. Also, because you are a slow learner does not mean you can't learn. It just means that you learn differently and at your own pace.

Also, there are all kinds of free things on the internet that you can teach yourself such as computer programming.

Most importantly, please for the love of autism do NOT get hung up on your lack of skills because it will make you depressed and bring everyone around you down. It's better to focus on the above.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 11:59 am

Actually, the bad experiences people have are usually the result of having a bad boss who doesn't get or understand Aspergers, rather than company policy. The autism spectrum is very hard for normal people to understand, because you can't assume an Aspie is like another you actually know. What use is a label if it doesn't tell me anything useful?

llama711
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Mar 2017, 8:47 pm

I'm a single Mom struggling to find work at 31. Hours are usually terribly, pay is minimal, competition is fierce. I get frustrated seeing people landing ft jobs with ease, but I keep at it. Well recently I've given up a bit but I'm getting back. Also trying to start a home business, if I can. Keep going!

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2017, 8:00 pm

I've been working the same job since November. Until literally 5 days ago, work was going extremely well, as I seemed to be doing everything perfectly to my supervisors, regardless of the fact that I was occasionally making minor errors despite my best intentions. From Tuesday to Thursday, my supervisors suddenly took more notice of the same occasional minor errors I was making, apparently due to pressure from clients who were refusing to work with us anymore, and all of a sudden, I am in danger of being out of work again.

llama711
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2017, 12:27 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:
From Tuesday to Thursday, my supervisors suddenly took more notice of the same occasional minor errors I was making, apparently due to pressure from clients who were refusing to work with us anymore, and all of a sudden, I am in danger of being out of work again.

I hate when that happens. :(

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2017, 6:59 pm

llama711 wrote:
JohnnyLurg wrote:
From Tuesday to Thursday, my supervisors suddenly took more notice of the same occasional minor errors I was making, apparently due to pressure from clients who were refusing to work with us anymore, and all of a sudden, I am in danger of being out of work again.

Yeah, and then my boss offered to have one of my coworkers take over a couple of my responsibilities that were causing me the most problems to help me out. Unfortunately, they fell back on their promise and I still have to take care of everything that was causing me problems and I'm still in trouble for being unable to carry out my job perfectly.

EmilyRyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2017, 8:48 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:
llama711 wrote:
JohnnyLurg wrote:

Yeah, and then my boss offered to have one of my coworkers take over a couple of my responsibilities that were causing me the most problems to help me out. Unfortunately, they fell back on their promise and I still have to take care of everything that was causing me problems and I'm still in trouble for being unable to carry out my job perfectly.

Where do you work and what do you do?? That's what I'm afraid of happening cause no matter how much focus and effort I put into doing a task somehow I end up making errors even when I think everything is going right.

I'm hoping Kroger will hire me otherwise I don't know what I will do as far as trying to get an income also I'm worried if I am hired they'll find me to be too slow and end up let go. And another thing I feel as if I never gonna be able to work higher paying jobs like I feel as if I'm gonna be stuck forever doing jobs like stocking shelves :(

archvillain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2017, 9:10 pm

In the United States, Aspergers, no matter the DSM classification, i.e. "on the spectrum" is a protected classification. Disclose your condition to your employer or potential employer, would be my thought. Knowing your limitations and gifts, employers can make reasonable allowances for your "mistakes" while reinforcing your strengths. I know it's scary. But if you don't invoke the Federal and State laws in your defense, then NTs will abuse you. That's the way they roll. I've taken a lifetime of it, been fired many times, or taken advantage of over and over. It sucks. The sooner you learn to guard yourself, the better.

Do not dispair. You are not alone. I stand with you. We all do.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2017, 9:47 pm

archvillain wrote:
In the United States, Aspergers, no matter the DSM classification, i.e. "on the spectrum" is a protected classification. Disclose your condition to your employer or potential employer, would be my thought. Knowing your limitations and gifts, employers can make reasonable allowances for your "mistakes" while reinforcing your strengths. I know it's scary. But if you don't invoke the Federal and State laws in your defense, then NTs will abuse you. That's the way they roll. I've taken a lifetime of it, been fired many times, or taken advantage of over and over. It sucks. The sooner you learn to guard yourself, the better.

They know and I think that's why they were originally making accommodations even though they quickly took them back after a week. And Emily, I work as an administrative assistant/business development representative for the telemarketing division of a software company. I have a large amount of data I have to compile, organize, verify, and transfer. There are a couple steps in the long verification process that I have the most difficulty with, and am expected to have 100% accuracy in everything I do. I used to work retail like you do for a couple different retail chains and I wouldn't be thrilled to go back to it but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

EmilyRyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2017, 9:22 pm

archvillain wrote:

Thank you :heart:

I'll be sure to hang in there and keep trying.

JohnnyLurg wrote:
They know and I think that's why they were originally making accommodations even though they quickly took them back after a week. And Emily, I work as an administrative assistant/business development representative for the telemarketing division of a software company. I have a large amount of data I have to compile, organize, verify, and transfer. There are a couple steps in the long verification process that I have the most difficulty with, and am expected to have 100% accuracy in everything I do. I used to work retail like you do for a couple different retail chains and I wouldn't be thrilled to go back to it but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Why did they take away accommodations?? Shouldn't that be illegal?? And that sounds like a really difficult job I probably couldn't do it right.

One thing I have to ask in the case I where I'm unable to get a job at all what can I do to survive or what can I do to get someone to hire what other social services can I used beside Vocational Rehab??

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2017, 10:50 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:
Why did they take away accommodations?? Shouldn't that be illegal??

Not if they were never specifically referred to as disability based and there was no involvement from ADA, which there wasn't.