Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 10:16 am

I spent a good portion of my 20s debating this question. Often times I feel like not really but atleast I know my parents receive happiness from my existence. Of course the only problem up until about a year ago was if something happened to them then what would I have to live for???

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 6:50 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

little coyote kat

in some situations, your statement is correct.

in some situations, your statement does not exactly quite apply. for example, when i took a "try" at making precious lil "friends". in the distant past. not only did i fail, but they got angry and took out revenge on me. (they might have been correct. however, right or wrong, that's not the point.)

when i took a "try" at structural engineering. fourth undergrad year. flunked out. wasted $$$$$, four years, calories. cried a lot. gorged a lot. personal opportunity costs. time that otherwise could have gotten wasted loitering and panhandling. something more enjoyable. or at least, something not as emotionally disturbing.

Ok. I can see your points. All very valid.

At the least, however, nothing is pure waste. If all you got from it was a lesson on what not to do next time, that's still something. It might be very little consolation, but it can help you in the future, and that's still got value and merit.

I'm sorry people were hurtful to you.

I am a Bookwyrm.

Dataunit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2018, 5:35 am

foxant wrote:
. i dont know what to do anymore, i dont have any close friends. in real life, none, my last friend just dont go here anymore, in internet, i can be on facebook, steam, whatsapp or any other social network site, and i hope that someone talk with me, but no one do. its sad to see a list of almost 200 friends on steam, or 300 random people on facebook, and no one talk to me, just one or two people talk to me but its kinda rare. it hurts being ignored.
:cry:

I hate to be the one to point out the obvious, but you aren't going to be happy if you spend your life in front of a computer screen. See this here by CGPGrey, titled "7 Ways To Maximise Misery": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mTELoj6o

The answer is to join clubs or societies in your area. I've moved cities enough times to know how daunting it can be to not know anyone around you. So join any old club - it doesn't matter if its principal aim doesn't interest you because you'll still get to meet people. I wasn't interested in board games at all last year (when I was living in a tiny village with not much else going on) but I joined anyway and found that a) I made friends and b) the board games were actually not nearly as bad as I thought.

Also, it's OK to be alone. I go swimming a lot alone, and I spend a lot of time reading books alone and I'm still generally happy. Limit your time spent online and your life will seem instantly more meaningful!

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 7:31 am

No I don't feel like my "life" has a meaning

A meaning could be a good or bad thing

Hitler's life had a meaning

A homophobic precious lil "person" had the nerve to tell me that "the meaning of life is helping people!"

Self righteous

:roll:

Mussolini was :skull: helping :skull: Hitler

"Helping" sounds good. (Connotation). "Helping" could be bad

The current counselor asked me "is helping people important to you?"

Wtf?

Yes or no question

A "no" answer makes the speaker sound like a monster

And then the counselor told me she was "helping people".

Wtf?

Wtf?

Wtf?

The counselor sits in a comfortable chair flapping her stupid ass trap

JROTC cadet Peter Wang , 15 years old. Allegedly held the door open for dozens of classmates at the school shooting

Peter got shot and died

That is "helping"

"Actions speak louder than words"

Peter did not earn 75 bucks an hour

The counselor did

The "meaning of life" :D could be :D "helping people"

But being homophobic is not "helping people"

Sitting around flapping her stupid ass trap ain't "helping people" either

The homophobe and the counselor acted so innocent

Like :skull: deities :skull: fell out of the sky and said "(homophobe's name here) , justify your existence!"

And the homophobe said "I'm helping people"

Like he was morally innocent and never did anything wrong or bad before

f**k that ass hole! :idea:

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 7:08 pm

I don't really think my life has a meaning. That isn't going to stop me from creating a meaning, though.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 9:11 pm

no job

no job skills

no precious lil "friends"

no family

autism

gender identity disorder

clinical depression

six out of ten personality disorders

so, no, do not feel like "life" has a meaning

at least, not my "life"

metabolism too low to pursue any direction/purpuse/"meaning", goal, intention

:D

the other thing, though, is that it appears that precious lil "people" that act like their lives contain so much "meaning" often get so biased that they say and do things that just do not make sense. that is often the case, even when the "meaning" that they assigned to their lives, is, indeed, a good cause.

for example, at the (city) Animal Rights Center, where i went to look for food to buy. (yes, they sold food). an off leash dog bit me. and i involuntarily screamed. someone had the nerve to tell me to leave. "we don't treat animals that way. animal rights!".

this precious lil "person" acted like the "meaning" of his life was to secure/obtain/get :D animal rights :D . and, yes, 8O animal rights 8O sounds like a good "meaning". :roll:

but seriously, involuntarily screaming in response to an unprovoked dog bite, is not the moral equivalent of :lol: pigs in the slaughterhouse :lol: .

precious lil "people" act like they are so important. self-important. self-righteous. arrogant. annoying.

they act like their lives are so meaningful. :roll:

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 10:01 am

no job

no job skills

no family

autism

gender identity disorder

clinical depression

at least, not my "life"

the other thing, though, is that it appears that precious lil "people" that act like their lives contain so much "meaning" often get so biased that they say and do things that just do not make sense. that is often the case, even when the "meaning" that they assigned to their lives, is, indeed, a good cause.

for example, at the (city) Animal Rights Center, where i went to look for food to buy. (yes, they sold food). an off leash dog bit me. and i involuntarily screamed. someone had the nerve to tell me to leave. "we don't treat animals that way. animal rights!".

this precious lil "person" acted like the "meaning" of his life was to secure/obtain/get :D animal rights :D . and, yes, 8O animal rights 8O sounds like a good "meaning". :roll:

but seriously, involuntarily screaming in response to an unprovoked dog bite, is not the moral equivalent of :lol: pigs in the slaughterhouse :lol: .

precious lil "people" act like they are so important. self-important. self-righteous. arrogant. annoying.

What are precious lil "people"?

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 8:09 am

livingwithautism wrote:
no job

no job skills

no family

autism

gender identity disorder

clinical depression

at least, not my "life"

What are precious lil "people"?

Probably means like "snowflakes" or something

Desurage
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 May 2018, 8:14 am

After thinking it over for years I can only see meaning as a stand-in word for having committed social relationships that you would be willing to sacrifice for. I doubt anyone with children would argue that taking care of their kids doesn't have meaning, or that helping people in society isn't meaningful.
When you step outside talking about being productive helping people live or contributing to the community, then it seems difficult to establish what's worth doing. Meaning is about sacrifice and accomplishment, and people are designed to be social creatures so I don't see how you come up with an answer that exists outside of contributing to the group or loved ones.
Because I lack that, and dealing with people is extremely tiresome even online through things like chat, I don't think I'll have much meaning in life unless a pursue writing more. At least with writing I can just keep typing and don't have to worry(much) about what people will say in response.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 3:01 am

Meaning of life is probably enduring pain and not giving up on things you find precious. I like to think that if i think of happy memories until i die i will return to those happy days.

TheGuiden
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jun 2018, 6:09 pm

I have mammoth dreams of nothing but week long feasts and romantic walks down Mediterranean beaches. My purpose is to obtain these things. My life's meaning is the gathering of earths resources in order to make a big technological splash in today's markets. It is by consuming and drinking wine that I may have what I need. And I will get it. The acquisition of success. Hail white Europe!! !

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 5:41 pm

VYcma wrote:
For me, there is no meaning as there is no reason. You can do whatever you want. Nobody's forcing you to be good or successful.

If you exclude empathy then this is a perfect answer, but empathy exists so you cant dodge that moral and ethical factor.

My empathy stops me from hunting you down and eating you up why you cry and piss your pants.

:::)