Muslims say; religious freedom for me, but not for thee.

Page 1 of 11 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 11:55 am

The Golden Rule and other reciprocity sayings indicate that what we grant ourselves or some others should also be granted to everyone. This would include the right to critique religions and governments.

Islam and it’s Muslim adherents are quite vocal in denigrating other religions and political system, yet say that others who denigrate Islam and Sharia should be penalized in various ways, --- even unto death.

Where I come from, reciprocity is fair play and all players in a game play by the same rules. Islam and Muslims wants to win the God wars by having different restrictive rules for their interlocutors.

Should we respect and tolerate a religion that denies us the rights and play by the same rules that they enjoy?

If yes, please tell me why we should respect such a religion.

Regards
DL

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

27 Feb 2017, 12:13 pm

It's a good point, I would like to see how someone would argue against that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 1:16 pm

Is this something all muslims say or is this an example of a blanket generalization based on the worst of muslims?

In the U.S we have christians actually trying to push religious legislation, I am more concerned about that than muslims in this country. Yet I still do not think all Christians want to impose their beliefs though enough do to be making political noise about it though.

We can't just pick and chose what religions religious freedom applies to, what do you suggest we keep freedom of religion but exclude muslims?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

27 Feb 2017, 1:58 pm

It's not a generalization when it's done on a national level, I agree that reciprocation is key and intolerant forms of religion should be opposed. Freedom of religion has its limits, it is not absolute and everything claimed under it's banner does not need be respected as this is not a country of religious law.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Feb 2017, 5:14 pm

Not sure why you're singling out Islam here. All religions have zealots who persecute non-believers and peaceful people who support religious freedom. In practice, in Western countries most people of all religions support religious freedom, and Muslims are no exception.

Obviously if you support religious freedom then you have to oppose intolerant religions.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 6:27 pm

...you don't understand muslim culture at all.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 6:37 pm

I vaguely remember a study where the majority of the worlds muslims support Shariah law. I think the difference with Christian's there seems to be a big moderate section fighting against the more right wing sects. They both though seem to say the radicals are not members of their religion (no true Scotsman).

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 7:41 pm

Jacoby wrote:
It's a good point, I would like to see how someone would argue against that.

Thanks.

So far, those against have not done well.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 7:46 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Is this something all muslims say or is this an example of a blanket generalization based on the worst of muslims?

In the U.S we have christians actually trying to push religious legislation, I am more concerned about that than muslims in this country. Yet I still do not think all Christians want to impose their beliefs though enough do to be making political noise about it though.

We can't just pick and chose what religions religious freedom applies to, what do you suggest we keep freedom of religion but exclude muslims?

No.

A policy should be broad enough to get rid of all intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions so as we can know that all people are following the better secular law of the land. After all, they have already bested the laws of the mainstream Gods.

If we are to clean the refuse from our houses, we should do every room.

If you have had it up to here with intolerance, homophobia and misogyny, you will agree.

We have had enough of Jihads and Inquisitions.

Regards
DL

Last edited by GnosticBishop on 27 Feb 2017, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 7:48 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Not sure why you're singling out Islam here. All religions have zealots who persecute non-believers and peaceful people who support religious freedom. In practice, in Western countries most people of all religions support religious freedom, and Muslims are no exception.

Obviously if you support religious freedom then you have to oppose intolerant religions.

I single them out at present because of these.

http://www.therebel.media/tiffany_gabbay_april_19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... SPvnFDDQHk

And more.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 7:52 pm

Ganondox wrote:
...you don't understand muslim culture at all.

Have a look at the links and posts just above and instead of just complaining, offer an argument to refute what I put.

If this quote is true, you have just shown the hate in your heart instead of the love.

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 7:54 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
I vaguely remember a study where the majority of the worlds muslims support Shariah law. I think the difference with Christian's there seems to be a big moderate section fighting against the more right wing sects. They both though seem to say the radicals are not members of their religion (no true Scotsman).

Your memory is accurate and you seem to be able to recognize lies and or hypocrisy.

Nice.

Regards
DL

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 8:45 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

Your memory is accurate and you seem to be able to recognize lies and or hypocrisy.

Nice.

Regards
DL

Thank you

Farunel
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2017, 11:11 pm

I haven't done enough research on Muslims to say anything directed at their religion in particular. But yes. Your original statement is true. If a religion is found to be intolerant of others (Or at least a great number of them), then they deserve no tolerance of them.

We do need to think about the grey zone. What of the innocents associated with said religion? You can't tell me there are none, because that would be impossible. Should they be treated with the same intolerance as their intolerant brethren? Or should we do something else. If so, what would we do? A legitimate question, not a criticism.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 11:21 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:

The Golden Rule and other reciprocity sayings indicate that what we grant ourselves or some others should also be granted to everyone. This would include the right to critique religions and governments.

Islam and it’s Muslim adherents are quite vocal in denigrating other religions and political system, yet say that others who denigrate Islam and Sharia should be penalized in various ways, --- even unto death.

Where I come from, reciprocity is fair play and all players in a game play by the same rules. Islam and Muslims wants to win the God wars by having different restrictive rules for their interlocutors.

Should we respect and tolerate a religion that denies us the rights and play by the same rules that they enjoy?

If yes, please tell me why we should respect such a religion.

Regards
DL

To which Muslim or group of Muslims are you refering?

I could make the claim that trump supporters are racist, and although some are, there are many who would be offended by that generalization.

This represent the logical fallacy of the strawman argument.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 11:26 pm

Jacoby wrote:
It's not a generalization when it's done on a national level, I agree that reciprocation is key and intolerant forms of religion should be opposed. Freedom of religion has its limits, it is not absolute and everything claimed under it's banner does not need be respected as this is not a country of religious law.

So if it happens at the national level, it becomes intolerance...you mean like trumps Muslim ban?

Im sorry, I mean the ban from those 7 dangerous countries that have never attacked the US and who citizens have never committed a terrorist attack against the US unlike our allies Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.

:lol: