Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2017, 1:23 pm

I searched through the forum and only found one thread about the trailer.

Question:

In your opinion, How well did the movie portray autism?

I'm asking for my own personal adventure into understand autism and how it touches my life, feels like a perfect fit so far!

Thanks for your opinions, Keigan

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2017, 12:37 pm

The more I read and understand - I can say that the movie only scratches the surface as frequently the story is portrayed through the eyes of NT, missing the context of how it feels for the autistic. Possibly left on the floor in the editing room.

Overall I was riveted to the movie as I watched it, hits way close to home for me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 3:38 am

An autistic lead in a major Hollywood movie is notable and it is nice to have an autistic "superhero" of sorts. It was good that stimming was shown. That all said the charactor is still basically a higher functioning version of Rain Man.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 6:14 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
An autistic lead in a major Hollywood movie is notable and it is nice to have an autistic "superhero" of sorts. It was good that stimming was shown. That all said the charactor is still basically a higher functioning version of Rain Man.

I didn't see him as a Rain Man.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.