Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 7:40 pm

^I like Adventure/Tri and Tamers best. Do you have any favourite characters?

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Demitrius
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2017, 9:07 pm

I like Gabumon, he's super cute. Also demidevimon.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 4:50 am

I was also quite impressed with Madoka Magica. Aside from the story and the animation, I thought the (Japanese) voice acting was particularly impressive.

My favourite anime series are:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
The Vision of Escaflowne
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Gurren Lagann
Full Metal Panic!
Rurouni Kenshin
Serial Experiments Lain
Yu Yu Hakushou
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 11:08 am

Full Metal Alchemist! (preferably Brotherhood)

The other two that I constantly watch: Crayon Shinchan, Azumanga Daioh

Childhood favorite: Shaman King

About Clannad, although probably not a favorite, it has a strange feeling to it that makes me return to it and rewatch it again and again.

I don't think Ghibli movies fall under anime but nevertheless I love them too :heart:

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 11:54 am

Ghibli movies definitely count!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 9:43 am

I don't even require anime to come from Japan, anymore. I consider it a style of animation, and RWBY, for example, works for me on that level. Anime is one of Japan's gifts to the world, and there's no putting the genie back into the bottle.

Since there's no committee deciding what constitutes anime, I expect disagreement. Miyazaki may hate otaku, but Ghibli still makes anime.

Flowers of Evil seems to have been absorbed into the genre. Even though I don't think it fits in terms of visual style, I can't think of any other basket for it. If it becomes a popular form, we'll need a new name.

I'll add one more to my list of random favorites, Gatchaman: Crowds and Insight. It took me a while to appreciate the story, but it keeps coming to mind, and I want to watch it again. By the end of the first viewing, my mind was completely blown. It also has a unique visual style.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 4:14 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I don't even require anime to come from Japan, anymore. I consider it a style of animation, and RWBY, for example, works for me on that level. Anime is one of Japan's gifts to the world, and there's no putting the genie back into the bottle.

Since there's no committee deciding what constitutes anime, I expect disagreement. Miyazaki may hate otaku, but Ghibli still makes anime.

Flowers of Evil seems to have been absorbed into the genre. Even though I don't think it fits in terms of visual style, I can't think of any other basket for it. If it becomes a popular form, we'll need a new name.

I'll add one more to my list of random favorites, Gatchaman: Crowds and Insight. It took me a while to appreciate the story, but it keeps coming to mind, and I want to watch it again. By the end of the first viewing, my mind was completely blown. It also has a unique visual style.

Technically it's animation that comes from Japan. If it's not from Japan it's technically considered anime.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 5:26 pm

Acting like there's no debate on the topic does not end the debate.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Technically it's animation that comes from Japan. If it's not from Japan it's technically considered anime.

Huh? How does that work? :scratch:

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 10:23 pm

There was a good video I watched a little while ago on what is considered anime by Mother's Basement.

I am quite in favour that the definition of animation from Japan is not a perfect description, and I do think it is starting to catch on. Like on Crunchyroll, fairly recently it has included things like Thunderbolt Fantasy, a show written and music by anime companies, but otherwise a Taiwanese puppet show (with Japanese dubbing, and RWBY under the anime section.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Mar 2017, 7:49 pm

I'm not into anime but I did like Shin-Chan & Pokemon but I only seen the 1st couple seasons of the ladder.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition