Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 9:47 am

I know what sarcasm is but I wanna know if this is weird. I am sometimes sarcastic and tell sarcastic remarks and jokes. And I heard that's not typical for someone with autism. But here's the thing that's extremely common for people like us with autism. That we don't understand it a lot of the time when other people use it. I just wanna know if anyone else is that way. Say sarcastic things sometimes but doesn't understand it well when other people do it. But my sarcasm isn't good either. Just letting you know that.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2017, 8:23 pm

Yep, I'm totally that way. I use it, but usually only understand it if it's REALLY obvious. Husband is sometimes sarcastically playful, and he often goes over my head because he's too subtle at it for me to "get it." He's learning to be more clear and obvious at it for me so I'm not taking him literally almost all of those times. :)

docfox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2017, 5:27 am

I'm sarcastic a lot as well. Didn't really know that was something not associated with aspies.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 8:22 am

I like to think I'm good at recognizing sarcasm. I don't personally use sarcasm a whole lot, though.

Cloudswimmer
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2017, 5:00 pm

I have a similar experience. I do find myself asking "was that sarcasm?" a lot, but I think most sarcasm I catch at this point in my life. Unfortunately my sarcasm delivery is still not very good. Something about my tone or expression is almost always off and people tend to think I am being serious. It is usually just best if I avoid attempts at sarcasm unless I'm home.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2017, 5:22 pm

docfox wrote:
I'm sarcastic a lot as well. Didn't really know that was something not associated with aspies.

Most resources claim it's quite common for those on the spectrum to have some degree of deficit in understanding humor, sarcasm, and other nonliteral language:

http://www.autismspectrumexplained.com/ ... stics.html

sos72
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2017, 11:25 pm

undiagnosed aspie here and i am very sarcastic...

diagnosed aspie kid who is also sarcastic...

i think it has more to do with seeing humor differently...

i am also an undocumented expert in dead-pan humor :|

and i laugh at completely inappropriate things :oops: :roll: :wink:

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 12:46 pm

I understand sarcasm, innuendos and other funny things people do in speech quite well. At one point in my assessment I was asked to relay the 'meaning' behind a lot of phrases (one of them was the inevitable 'pull your socks up' command), and I correctly identified them all, yet still ended up lumped with ASD. Hm. :| The lady did make a point about my actual speech, which I suppose is a different thing to hearing/understanding other's, saying it was overly complex. I simply presume there is no ultimate black or white scenario when it comes to determine someone's place on the spectrum, though I imagine my understanding of things like sarcasm must mean I only have Aspergers lightly myself.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 1:19 pm

I was using sarcasm a lot when i was a teenager

...until the day, a friend of my boyfriend told me: "actually you are a very kind person, i thought opposite before because of your jokes".

So i started to pay attention to my jokes... I don't want to get enemies for free ;)

Now i understand that i was making sarcasm because i don't mind how i appear much. i thought others didn't care neither. But actually, they do care a lot. How they appear is very important. Anything you say about their appearance, or affects how they appear in a group they take it very seriously. What you say about them is much more important than what they do or what they are, because they are very "social" (brakets because i still not understand it all).

My sense of self comes more from what i do or what i think. It seems to me that their sense of self comes much from how people perceive them and the image they project.

So, when you want to make a joke, make a little compliment, works better.

Veles
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2017, 7:32 pm

If it's really obvious sarcasm (as in the tone of one's voice) then I catch on but if it's subtle or monotone sarcasm I always miss it. :|

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2017, 5:28 pm

I can use sarcasm because I know that it is sarcastic, I chose to be sarcastic, so I know for a fact that I am.

I understand the concept of sarcasm, so I can use it. Now, when people around me use it, 40% (intuitively), of the time, I just don't get it. I can get most of it now, but I have a marked tendency to ask, "Are you being sarcastic?"

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 6:58 pm

I've always said that I'm better at giving sarcasm than I am at taking it. What it boils down to is that when I'm sarcastic, I *know* I'm being sarcastic. But when someone else is being sarcastic, I have to guess and use context.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2017, 4:15 am

I do sarcasms a lot, I have a dark sence of humour and it often get´s wrong. NT doesn´t understand that I´m kidding and get offended all the time. I think that´s just stupid that autistic doesn´t get sarcasm and all that, it´s simply not true. When you don´t know some one very good, then it´s hard to know if the person is joking, but that´s included ALL sorts of people.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Mar 2017, 4:07 am

I use sarcasm sometimes but have a hard time understanding it myself unless it's really obvious like on the MTV show Daria

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 5:44 am

alpacka wrote:
I do sarcasms a lot, I have a dark sence of humour and it often get´s wrong. NT doesn´t understand that I´m kidding and get offended all the time..

I used to have this problem a lot when I was younger. I don't have it so much now because I don't really interact with a lot of people in real life anymore. :(

Dutch87
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2017, 3:01 pm

I am (have become?) a bit (too) cynical. Tied to that is a sense of humour that is dark and sarcastic.