Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 2:52 pm

Anyone here taking the supplement 5-HTP for sleep disorders? I'm interested in it's potential benefits to help with chronic insomnia by people who've used it; recently gave up on Valerian which had no effect except to give me vivid, gory dreams. :| I used to sell 5-HTP as part of some old work experience - and it certainly was popular - but the placebo effect is by default a sneaky thing.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 4:09 pm

In the past year I've tried GABA, 5-HTP, and CoQ10 (I was just about to start a thread on CoQ10).

GABA did seem to reduce anxiety -- quite noticeable at first, and now perhaps less so, although that may be just because it's generally working and has led to an overall improvement. I think it improved sleep somewhat also.

5-HTP was very unpleasant. I only tried it for three days, and I can't describe the effect, but it was very unpleasant. Some kind of strange mental agitation and panicky feeling -- don't know how to describe it, but I threw that bottle in the trash after three days and don't have any interest in trying it again.

I think this shows we all differ in a handful of variables, and things that have a dramatic positive effect on one have a negative effect on another. Trial and error seems to be the only way to go.

There Are Four Lights!

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 5:14 pm

Darmok wrote:
In the past year I've tried GABA, 5-HTP, and CoQ10 (I was just about to start a thread on CoQ10).

GABA did seem to reduce anxiety -- quite noticeable at first, and now perhaps less so, although that may be just because it's generally working and has led to an overall improvement. I think it improved sleep somewhat also.

5-HTP was very unpleasant. I only tried it for three days, and I can't describe the effect, but it was very unpleasant. Some kind of strange mental agitation and panicky feeling -- don't know how to describe it, but I threw that bottle in the trash after three days and don't have any interest in trying it again.

I think this shows we all differ in a handful of variables, and things that have a dramatic positive effect on one have a negative effect on another. Trial and error seems to be the only way to go.

Oh dear, I wonder whether (if you can believe 5-HTP is also a good over-the-counter mood enhancer) whether it instigates the same period of worsening moods/anxiety as with prescription antidepressants, then. My former psychiatrist would tell me to wait around 3 months before considering revising my antidepressants because the body needs a period to adjust to the chemicals. At the end of the day finding the perfect sleep supplement is a tall order, I suppose. 5-HTP aside, if it were legal in the UK I'd consider attacking the problem of insomnia from the other side with Adderall, just to let off the intense fatigue I have in the day.

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Mar 2017, 5:30 pm

Darmok wrote:

I tried 5-HTP for seven days straight, then I removed it from my diet supplements due to a mental agitation also. I felt like I wanted to scream for,no reason at all, my thoughts were spinning out and toward the catostrophic views of even very minor things.

Pause and reflection is good.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 9:54 am

I acquired 5-HTP as well as an alertness nootropic in the end. Taken both for about a week - alertness in the morning and 5-HTP around 11pm.
Already I've noticed my tendency to crash at 4pm (low blood sugar?) has disappeared, which I think is because I'm metabolising Alpha GPC and CoQ10 from the alertness supplement, this is excellent due to my studies often requiring a great deal of screen reading; often my concentration flags when staring at a computer for too long. More importantly, I've also been getting sleepier at the right times.
Now I have a new problem: discovering what supplement is doing what. In any case better sleep cycles were the penultimate goal.
Been doing some further reading into 5-HTP. It really does sound people are reacting to it as though they'd been starting with a new SSRI. I'm wary of staying too long on 5-HTP now due to it's rather unfortunate effect on the liver. No nightmares/irritability yet, though.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Mar 2017, 1:43 am

I tried 5HTP out for depression & OCD treatment. It made me more moody but so did St.John's Wart. Different people respond differently to those & other supplements thou so noone knows how it will affect you till you try it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition