High Functioning Autism and Addiction

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

traven
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 1:19 am

Everytime i had a job i gotten into heroin, to much money available made that possible? Luckily i didn't believe in (my) addiction, many i"ve seen have a deep faith in this fatalilty.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 12:18 pm

Corny wrote:
About drugs, alcohol, pregnancy,and tobacco. I always used to think high schoolers only in movies did that and had parties. But for the last 2 years I found out that kids in real life do it. And I'm always shocked when learning that kids I know are doing that. It's just weird. Because I always assumed most people were like me. Go home and stay in their rooms and do whatevs like movies or something like that. Not partying, getting drunk, and high. I've never done either of those. I usually just stay home and do whatevs. Like watch movies, play video games, listen to music, and play with my dog.

Many kids I went to school with were like that too. As a matter of fact one girl I tried to befriend at a point was higher then the clouds when I called her one evening. She was so zonked out that when I talked to her monday she literally had no memory of having spoke with me over the phone. I guess it makes some kinda sense since we all have obsessive tendencies and habits.

borispeters19
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2020, 8:03 am

Corny wrote:
About drugs, alcohol, pregnancy,and tobacco. I always used to think high schoolers only in movies did that and had parties. But for the last 2 years I found out that kids in real life do it. And I'm always shocked when learning that kids I know are doing that. It's just weird. Because I always assumed most people were like me. Go home and stay in their rooms and do whatevs like movies or something like that. Not partying, getting drunk, and high. I've never done either of those. I usually just stay home and do whatevs. Like watch movies, play video games, listen to music, and play with my dog.

Yes, they do this, and now are a lot of teens who have problems with drug or alcohol addiction. It is very sad 'cause their parents are trying to help them and they still think that the only place where they can find love and care is alcohol or drugs.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 8:17 am

Study explores possible autism link in young adults treated for addiction - Harvard Gazette

Quote:
One in five young adults being treated for alcohol or drug use may have undiagnosed traits characteristic of autism-spectrum disorder, researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital report.

They found that among patients with an average age of 18.7 being treated in an outpatient substance-use disorder clinic, 20 percent had elevated scores on the Social Responsiveness Scale-2, a parent- or teacher-reported measure that has been shown to identify the presence and severity of social impairment, and to distinguish autism from other disorders.

The researchers asked parents of 69 youths reporting for the first time to a specialty outpatient psychiatric substance-use disorder clinic to fill out the SRS-2 form.

They found that although there were few differences between those with elevated autistic trait scores and those with lower, non-autistic scores in terms of demographic or psychiatric factors, the adolescents with higher SRS-2 scores had a nearly eightfold greater likelihood of stimulant-use disorder, and a fivefold higher risk for opioid-use disorder.

The researchers are developing a free clinical therapy protocol that can help clinicians better address the issues of autistic traits in patients with substance use disorders.

Study co-authors include Diana Woodward, Maura DiSalvo, Vinod Rao, Julia Greenbaum, Gagan Joshi, and Timothy E. Wilens from MGH, and Amy M. Yule from Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center.

The study was supported by grants from the Demarest Lloyd Jr. Foundation.

I think there is truth in this. Addiction is a repetitive behavoir.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 10:41 am

It was really once accepted that being autistic meant addiction wasn't possible? I'm baffled as to how such an assumption came about.

I always assumed that being autistic meant addictions were more likely due to the added stress and isolation it causes. I think the only two filters an autistic has against becoming addicted is if they're an autistic dependant on another person in some way, shape or form. Being monitored by someone or having someone else do the shopping limits what an aspie can buy. The second is poor social circles making obtaining's drugs more difficult.

If it wasn't the fact I have to get up early most mornings for work I imagine I would be an alcoholic by now and from time to time I still drink more than I should.

Last edited by Nades on 26 Jan 2022, 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 10:45 am

Chichikov wrote:
So they start with an invented premise then find out that premise isn't true? And that's news....?
No, that is Science.  The first step of the Scientific Method is "Construct a Premise".

One premise may be proven valid, and another premise may be proven invalid.  That is just how it goes.

(I know I am replying to a five-year old post.)

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 10:57 am

Corny wrote:

Kids have always been up to no good like that. As a kid I was only really in straight edged clicks of friends but going into my early 20s it varied considerably but the worst it got was having a weed induced wh***y while everyone giggles on high a kite.

I think the poor social circle aspies often have is another mitigating factor against addiction too but depending on who you know you can get anything you like. I've been offered almost everything now including drugs and handguns from people who eventually warm up to me.