A Giant Neuron Has Been Found Wrapped Around the Entire Circ

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 6:32 pm

What do you guys think? Are they on to something?
http://www.sciencealert.com/a-giant-neu ... -the-brain

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 4:37 pm

Its a hard thing to wrap your head around! :D

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 11:48 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
What do you guys think? Are they on to something?
http://www.sciencealert.com/a-giant-neu ... -the-brain

Yes, but it's just another step. Long way to go yet, but it's there to be discovered.

These are cool neurons, like the ones in the sciatic nerve. They probably require good myelin sheathing for effective axon function.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 5:38 pm

Interesting. What I really want to know is how many mouse brains this has been observed in... article doesn't say.

I wouldn't be surprised if super-neurons like this do help co-ordinate conscious thought. Seems a bit risky to have the whole system depend on them, though. "Nice neuron you've got there, mate. Shame if something wuz to happen to it."

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 5:45 pm

The more I think about it, if consciousness were that precarious zombie-ism would be much more of a thing and we'd always be one beer or one day's work with painting the house or some other high-BOC activity away from the same place a good dose of puffer fish toxin would get us.

It's still an interesting find nevertheless and I'm sure we'll keep finding more fascinating geographic anomalies about our 3 pounds, maybe even before it reduces to 2 1/2!

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin