Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2017, 11:54 am

I've been with Kroger for 10 years now and have held a variety of positions. Some successfully, two unsuccessfully and one where I get, "passing grades" but my performance is mediocre at best. Even though the Autism community has become more successful at helping us out along with the state vocational agencies the country as a whole still has a looooong way to go in order to help those like us in my opinion. Self employment is best but not everybody has that option. It's just I wish that some higher power could take away our worries but there isn't one that will do that.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 12:42 pm

Why would they settle for someone with functional difficulties when they can just employ someone else who is faster/better to make more money?

That sounds horrible but that's how they really think. There's no empathy with employers, they really don't care, it's ALL money. I've been in parties with rich 100k a year dudes - trust me they are complete savages and everything is about how much money they can make/extort out of you. They end up being trained to think like a sociopath so they can get everything they can out of people leaving those with difficulties behind.

I gave up a long time ago getting myself a job because it wasn't working for me, instead I opened my own business and things have been much better since. It's been quite a learning curve though and I won't say it's for everyone but it's definitely possible for more people to go down this route.

I think there are certain jobs easier than others for people with ASD. A lot seem to go for night work because it's easy and less sensory problems.

I agree with you though, the UK has just as much problem with getting ASD people into work.

Smart blondie28
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2017, 3:16 pm

They're don't, its money money pure greed

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2017, 6:49 pm

I find that Kroger, at least in my area, often employees people that are slightly off as baggers and cart retrievers. By slightly off, well, of course I don't know what these peoples diagnosis' are, but they appear weird or slow in some way, no offense to anyone. I don't think corporations care about individuals overall and often management doesn't either, but my local store has some long employed "off" people. Does it make them a good company just because they will employ people with certain problems? Hell no. They are probably just doing it to pay them less and save money.

EmilyRyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2017, 9:00 pm

Crap I'm currently applying at Kroger cause they're like the only place in the state of Tennessee that'll basically hire me (if I'm even that lucky). Any other suggestions then if Kroger is really that bad??

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 8:13 am

Lunella wrote:
That sounds horrible but that's how they really think. There's no empathy with employers, they really don't care, it's ALL money. I've been in parties with rich 100k a year dudes - trust me they are complete savages and everything is about how much money they can make/extort out of you. They end up being trained to think like a sociopath so they can get everything they can out of people leaving those with difficulties behind.
What a sad world we live in.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 10:09 am

Some disabled people are well suited for grocery store jobs. Others aren't. The problem Aspies have is black/white thinking and trying to make sense of all the conflicting messages one gets from the neurotypical world.

The biggest lie is that the customer comes first. Actually, NTs know that they come third. You come first. You co-workers come 2nd. You have to work with the every day you come into work. The customers come in third. You can't help the customers if you get fired. You can't help the customers if you are too busy arguing with your co-workers. The customers have to come in third.

A lot of grocery store work is very monotonous. Which is hard if you are too smart for the job. But, some Aspies do like routines in which they get to do the same thing every day.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 2:17 pm

I never had a job before and I'm kind of worried about me having a job. Because I'm worried that I'll be fired for being slower without even trying to be. Saying things I don't know is wrong. And just not being fast enough. Or freak out more against something. Or that no place will hire me because I have autism. But I don't know if any of that will happen. Just thinking. Because I'm going to need and get a job so I can live on my own. And it seems like from what you guys are saying. This might happen with me when looking for a job or working. Plus I'm worried that my co-workers will take advantage of me or even find a way to fire me. I don't know.