Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Cloudswimmer
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2017, 1:01 pm

Having recently discovered sites like heartlessaspergers.com and theneurotypical.com, I've been disturbed by the open vilification of autistics on these sites. Dysfunctional and often abusive AS/NT relationships are showcased and the individual's ASD is blamed for all the relationship problems. These sites may stay islands of hate and misinformation, and that was what I was hoping as I read, but I did encounter a link to a current study being conducted by a nurse PhD at Vermont University. It appears she is recruiting participants for her study from these sites, and as I would hate for her to have a grossly unbalanced participant sample I thought it would be best for me to share that information here. I am in no way affiliated with this woman, or her study, but I am a proponent of good research. Maybe some of you, like myself, are in a relationship with someone who doesn't consider you to be an abusive egomaniacal robot? Or maybe they do think of you that way, and they enjoy it. Either way, they could contribute to her research and possibly make for a more diverse sample.

Moderator text: you can't post links on WP to surveys without prior permission. Also this topic belongs in the autism politics forum, where there are other threads on sites hostile to AS people.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 1:27 pm

There is plenty of open vilification of NT's on this site which is heavily about the frustration of dealing with NT's. But unlike heartlesssaspergers while we have hate here the main purpose of WP is not to hate NT's and Non autistic are welcome.

At least theneurotypical.com recommends on its main webpage "The Complete Guide To Aspergers" by Tony Attwood.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 1:31 pm

Westboro Baptist Church's website has a bit of insight over how they view us

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2017, 8:57 pm

Had a look... not too happy that the link for 'autism awareness' comes last after suicide prevention and an abuse hotline :?

On those websites, not sure why people can't understand that abuse doesn't mean autism anymore than being autistic excuses abuse.

Meanwhile, if someone's autism is causing an issue in the relationship and there is no compromise to be made either way for whatever reason, then perhaps the relationship isn't right and it's best for everyone to part ways? Why let issues fester?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 11:56 pm

Cloudswimmer wrote:
Having recently discovered sites like heartlessaspergers.com and theneurotypical.com, I've been disturbed by the open vilification of autistics on these sites. Dysfunctional and often abusive AS/NT relationships are showcased and the individual's ASD is blamed for all the relationship problems. These sites may stay islands of hate and misinformation, and that was what I was hoping as I read, but I did encounter a link to a current study being conducted by a nurse PhD at Vermont University. It appears she is recruiting participants for her study from these sites, and as I would hate for her to have a grossly unbalanced participant sample I thought it would be best for me to share that information here. I am in no way affiliated with this woman, or her study, but I am a proponent of good research. Maybe some of you, like myself, are in a relationship with someone who doesn't consider you to be an abusive egomaniacal robot? Or maybe they do think of you that way, and they enjoy it. Either way, they could contribute to her research and possibly make for a more diverse sample.

Moderator text: you can't post links on WP to surveys without prior permission. Also this topic belongs in the autism politics forum, where there are other threads on sites hostile to AS people.

Honestly being vilified is nothing new for many people on the spectrum. I've had people treat me poorly because I'm different, people treat me poorly because I'm female, people treat me poorly because I'm a jew, and there's probably at least 10 states in the nations where people would hate me based on my state of origin. Those websites that vilify those on the spectrum are the least of my concerns.

Cloudswimmer
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2017, 12:24 am

It sure is stupid to start a topic asking people to participate in a research questionnaire on relationships, when I can't post a topic asking people to participate in said research on relationships. Seems my reading comprehension skills need some improvement. I will reread the posting guidelines. Is there any way to delete this thing? It has no point now.