I am thinking of buying the Clannad Visual Novel

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 8:37 pm

Apparently the English version has 1,300,000 million words. 8O That's almost as long as The Silmarillion, and longer than the Odyssey! [Either that, or my math is screwy.]

Anyway, Clannad is my favourite anime, so I thought I'd try the Visual Novel.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 4:38 am

I honestly feel that a lot of visual novels are ridiculously overpriced for their relative lack of content. It's just pictures and text - that, in my opinion, doesn't justify a $25 price tag, let alone $45 or however much the Clannad one is.

But I mean if you want to buy it, go ahead.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2017, 5:08 am

If you do get it let me know if its any good and I'll buy it next time its in a sale :D

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 1:38 pm

^^You could make the same argument for books, which are just words on pages.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Mar 2017, 5:31 pm

With content, except for some of that pulp fiction stuff.
I never get why people who see the film/tv series/anime feel quite so compelled to buy the book/visual novel. They're rarely the same thing, and most people just end up complaining about the differences... I only happened to get the Game of Thrones books as they were in an incredible sale (thanks Amazon, once again you save the day!)

But if you feel so compelled to buy it, go ahead.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 52 of 200
LINK: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?p1= ... =66&p10=74
-------------------
Score breakdown for RAADS-R
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0
LINK: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 5:37 pm

^I don't, either, and since I like books better than movies and tv, I always read the book before seeing the movie. I'm well aware that the Clannad anime and visual novel are completely different. I try not to complain about things, ever, so I promise you that I will not complain about the differences between the anime and the visual novel.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 5:26 am

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
^^You could make the same argument for books, which are just words on pages.

Books though are typically *dramatically* longer in terms of how much text they have (particularly since VNs are inherantly slow to go through), yet.... they still cost way less than that. Unless you're getting hardcover (which is pointless), you can expect to pay 10-15 for most books. Buy used and you'll pay hardly anything.

To some degree, I tend to think that with VNs, the price is simply jacked up sometimes because the people selling them know full well that they can get away with it. Some types of games are like that: A price that's WAY overboard, but they'll bloody well do it anyway.

If the Clannad one really is like $45, that's an absolute rip-off. Someone's pulling a fast one, there. What they're effectively selling you isnt the game: It's the name. Basically "It's Clannad, so we'll price it higher and that's okay".

As a comparison, I recently bought a book... a hardcover actually (there is no paperback because it'd fall apart) which is 1200 pages. It's huge with rather small text (means it fits ALOT of words in there). It cost me only $35.

After typing that, I looked it up: Clannad isnt 45. It's 50. 50! That's nearing the price of AAA games. You know, the ones that cost millions to make. Gets worse though: If you want the DLC as well, you'll pay a ridiculous 81.

....And this is not a new game. Apparently, it's old. Very old. From 2004. That's nearing "ancient" in terms of PC software. But they still want that much from you (wut).

Best option: Dont go for the beyond-overpriced Steam version. Find a translated version of the original, which probably costs next to nothing and likely isnt too tough to find. It's going to be the same exact story, one way or another. It's better than paying an absurd amount, and supporting publishers that pull this kind of crap.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 11:46 am

^Okay, then.

Books and games typically cost more here. One manga volume costs around $12. The omnibus version costs roughly $27. The game I bought last month was $50. [All of this is without tax, by the way.]

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2017, 10:36 pm

I admittedly read a good chunk of the VN through a fan translation before it was officially licensed. Would recommend.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 2:54 pm

I think I'll save up for it. :mrgreen: