Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 12:53 pm

I know that the only effective way to gain strength is by dumbbell training. I have a rare disorder which is affecting my balance and coordination due to a malformed part of the brain. I feel so emasculated because I'm a skinny whimp. I have always wobbled my hands around with the weight.

My community service people tell me I am not allowed to lift them in the gym because I pose danger to myself and others, but it's hurting my self-esteem.

My only hope is if my doctor can convince that I can eventually use those weights. Even though I plan to do the machines at first.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 1:08 pm

To what extent does your disorder stop you from lifting?

For example, could you do seated bicep curls, shoulder presses, Arnold presses etc.? Sitting on a bench might mitigate those balance issues.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 3:09 pm

I don't think I'm even allowed to try.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 3:29 pm

^ :( That sucks.

I would say though, don't feel emasculated. Any kind of fitness will give you a better relationship with your body and body image, so whatever you can do at the gym stands a good chance of raising your self-esteem.

Body weight exercises can get you some nice gains, especially if you're an absolute beginner. Push ups, pull ups etc. are classics for a reason. Even if you have to start with a modified version, even if you can only do a few reps - get them done (with perfect form), and keep coming back until you get stronger.

Yoga can also build some decent muscle, depending on the extent/style of your practice and your diet. You won't get bulky muscle but you can get lean, and certainly strong. You might find yoga difficult due to your balance issues, though maybe it could help you with them overall?

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2017, 12:39 pm

Why are you 'not allowed'?

You should be able to make your own decisions on things like this. Of course there is nothing wrong with consulting a doctor and a fitness instructor first, but they didn't ought to be able to ban you from anything.

Would you be happy to use machines at a gym? Machines would be a good place to start if you aren't very strong as they are very supportive.

Good luck :).

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Mar 2017, 3:51 pm

Start by using the machines for a few months to build some strength in your body. Then re-evaluate the use of dumbells.

That is safer for everyone.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 4:23 pm

Well it is bullsh*t that it is the only way to gain strength, so perhaps you should look into exercises you can do without risking harm to yourself. Sounds like with your condition you probably won't become super ripped, but there certainly are things aside from dumbbell lifting a person can do to increase muscular strength. Why don't you see if your community service people have any suggestions of exercises you could do? Or try looking up on the Internet if there are recommendations for people with your condition.

Also a doctor is not going to convince people you can use weights if its a health risk due to your condition, if anything they will recommend against it. You could ask the doctor as well what exercises would be safe. You'll end up in even worse physical shape if you hurt yourself lifting weights.