How broad is your definition of art?

Page 5 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 10:12 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I'm here, being called idiotic because of the art I like, and worse being told that I only like it because someone told me I should like it.

Please, victimize yourself some more. I never told you you had to agree with me, I merely told you I don't agree with you. I didn't make you keep coming back here to argue with me. If anything, the fact that you did speaks to some insecurity in you that makes me think you actually agree with me, but can't get down from your "artistic" high horse to admit it.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 12:18 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
I'm not an artist. I'm an author. The only person my rant above applies to is you, and any other idiots who think the crap you've been talking about can actually be called art.

Here.

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
Do you people not hear yourselves? You literally just said that trash can be art if someone tells you it's art. That is complete and total bull crap. Some guy in the 70s told you that everyone's an artist, so of course it must be true, or else all these pretentious little hipsters will get their feelings hurt when they crap on a canvas and someone with more than two brain cells tells them to put it in the trash where it belongs. Just because someone "makes" it doesn't mean it's art, and you know, I think the fact that people are actually making excuses for these pathetic brainless morons is a great example of the degradation of modern society. Crap like Fifty Shades of Gray makes people millionaires, and worthless trash like what you people have been presenting to me actually gets passed off as art. Why? Because people will get their feelings hurt if they're (truthfully) told that they have no talent. Effort and education have been thrown out the window because they're just too darn hard. It's so much easier to just throw something together with no thought put into it and get lauded as some amazingly creative genius. It also comes with the benefit of pretentiously ignoring the opinions of intelligent people because "they just don't get me."

Seriously, people. You make me ashamed to be part of the human race.

And here.

You don't read your own posts?

Your emotional outbursts seem to correspond to your inability to control a situation which is not yours to control. That's a good definition of infantile behavior. It also explains the lack of self-awareness. It's more curious than hurtful, but don't deny behavior that's on the record.

I maintain that this discussion is really about philosophical or political divides, inasmuch as we can call it a discussion.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 12:31 pm

Yes, you came onto my thread and disputed my opinion. I argued back in my favor, and called you an idiot for having an opinion that is, frankly, idiotic. Never told you you had to agree with me, I simply argued against your opinion, and in favor of my own. If you're happy with your opinion and calling garbage art, more power to you. But don't come onto my thread, tell me I'm wrong, then play the victim when I argue back. All you're doing is proving me right: the attraction of modern art is that the "artists" think they are above criticism and disagreement, which are things you're obviously not used to receiving.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 12:42 pm

Also, the direction of this thread lies outside your sphere of control. You want to imply that I asked for it?

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 12:57 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Also, the direction of this thread lies outside your sphere of control. You want to imply that I asked for it?

Yes. You presented your opinion, I presented mine. You pushed your opinion, I pushed mine. Your opinions became increasingly stupid, I pointed that out. You continued to push your opinion, I continued to do the same. Unless, of course, you expected me to roll over and give up as soon as you made it clear you didn't agree with me... which wouldn't surprise me, given the way you're now whining about how I'm arguing with you.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 1:50 pm

Perhaps a better title for the thread would be I Give My Opinion About Art And Call Other Opinions Stupid. The current title seems misleading in retrospect.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 2:02 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Perhaps a better title for the thread would be I Give My Opinion About Art And Call Other Opinions Stupid. The current title seems misleading in retrospect.

And that's just childish of you, bringing me back to my "you're above criticism" statement. If it burns you up so much that I don't agree with you, why are you still here? You're going on and on about my "sphere of control," and here you are trying to shame me for my opinion (on my own thread, no less), while apparently you get a free pass on that because... I don't know, because criticism hurts your feelings.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 2:49 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

And that's just childish of you, bringing me back to my "you're above criticism" statement. If it burns you up so much that I don't agree with you, why are you still here? You're going on and on about my "sphere of control," and here you are trying to shame me for my opinion (on my own thread, no less), while apparently you get a free pass on that because... I don't know, because criticism hurts your feelings.

Way to prove my point. Go on with your wild imaginings.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 3:01 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Way to prove my point. Go on with your wild imaginings.

Please, explain. Is this not my thread? Are we not both pushing our opinions on each other? Have I ever once tried to force you to change your opinion? (and no, telling you you're wrong doesn't constitute as "forcing you") Are you now not throwing a fit because I'm still arguing with you about my opinion on my thread?

If anyone is guilty of "wild imaginings", that would be you, friend. You're the one who looks at garbage and demands that other people respect it as art.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 4:11 pm

I'll give a short defense of the 'conceptual art' you disagree with in the OP:

'Art' is an umbrella term, it doesn't just include painting and sculpture, but architecture, acting, music, even landscaping-- anything that is an expression. You've probably made works of art and didn't even realize it. The conceptual artist will tell you that their work itself isn't the art-- they'd actually agree with you on that point (the vast majority of them at least). Rather, the discussions that viewers have about a conceptual artist's work is the actual 'art'. The conceptual artist is trying to jar you, to make you think outside your comfort zone, those thoughts (even this debate) is the art, and the conceptual artist is quite pleased that you don't agree, it shows you actually thought about it, which is the goal of they are trying to achieve.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 4:15 pm

Which is all well and good, but they shouldn't get paid for it, nor should they be praised for their "art" when all they did was throw a bunch of junk together. Again, I'm a guy with no artistic ability whatsoever, and I could make the same "art" that they do, and yet they're getting paid millions of dollars for it and having books written about them, etc. You say they're trying to get people to talk. That's great, but we don't need their "art" to do it. That's why we have things like internet forums, where people literally go to talk. Get rid of their "art" and we lose none of that.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 5:03 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
Which is all well and good, but they shouldn't get paid for it, nor should they be praised for their "art" when all they did was throw a bunch of junk together. Again, I'm a guy with no artistic ability whatsoever, and I could make the same "art" that they do, and yet they're getting paid millions of dollars for it and having books written about them, etc. You say they're trying to get people to talk. That's great, but we don't need their "art" to do it. That's why we have things like internet forums, where people literally go to talk. Get rid of their "art" and we lose none of that.

No one's forcing you to look at it, no one's forcing you to go to one of said exhibits and thus 'pay for it'. That's all I can say. If you're railing just rail, you're railroading yourself into a brick wall because that's the easiest way to turn off an audience.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 5:33 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
I'm here, being called idiotic because of the art I like, and worse being told that I only like it because someone told me I should like it.

Please, victimize yourself some more. I never told you you had to agree with me, I merely told you I don't agree with you. I didn't make you keep coming back here to argue with me. If anything, the fact that you did speaks to some insecurity in you that makes me think you actually agree with me, but can't get down from your "artistic" high horse to admit it.

Hold on a minute you did not merely say you disagree with them, you've been very rude and insulting about it and are continuing to, so quit it. I mean its like you posted this topic just to insult and rage at anyone who disagrees with you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 5:36 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
Yes, you came onto my thread and disputed my opinion. I argued back in my favor, and called you an idiot for having an opinion that is, frankly, idiotic. Never told you you had to agree with me, I simply argued against your opinion, and in favor of my own. If you're happy with your opinion and calling garbage art, more power to you. But don't come onto my thread, tell me I'm wrong, then play the victim when I argue back. All you're doing is proving me right: the attraction of modern art is that the "artists" think they are above criticism and disagreement, which are things you're obviously not used to receiving.

Sheesh no wonder you don't have a girlfriend.....so much toxicity.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 6:54 pm

^Should we report him?

I was actually going to contribute to the discussion, and maybe even discuss my own creativity and art and the books I've written, but I'm not now.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 7:06 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
^Should we report him?

I was actually going to contribute to the discussion, and maybe even discuss my own creativity and art and the books I've written, but I'm not now.

lol yeah I thought this was going to be a nice maybe kind of fun discussion about art and what defines it...not people coming to express their thoughts only to be insulted by the guy who posted it. I can't even bring myself to report them because it's so pitiful how they are acting.